United States
goo.gl/UIdChYRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4461 days ago

1044 posts - 1823 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Spanish
Studies: Italian

Message 33 of 329
25 December 2012 at 6:57pm | IP Logged 
I got Assimil Using French and Camus's L'étranger for Christmas! :-)
1 person has voted this message useful

geoffw
Triglot
United States
Joined 4484 days ago

1134 posts - 1865 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Yiddish
Studies: Modern Hebrew, French, Dutch, Italian, Russian

Message 34 of 329
25 December 2012 at 9:53pm | IP Logged 
Awesome! I'm currently debating buying "Using French" myself (i.e., I'm going to buy it sooner or later). My biggest
concern is whether I'd be able to concentrate on finishing the active wave of NFWE with the advanced course lying
around. Of course I'm also dangerously close to picking up "L'Hebreu," which I'm sure would be even more
distracting (part of my whole "excuse" for starting with French in the first place was to prepare for doing Assimil
L'Hebreu sans peine).

Make sure to let us know how "L'étranger" goes for you.

conroy
United Kingdom
Joined 4870 days ago

36 posts - 51 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: French

Message 35 of 329
26 December 2012 at 12:40am | IP Logged 
tastyonions wrote:

I got a lot out of Using French. What I found was that the actors spoke less clearly than on NFWE, which spurred me into making an anki deck composed mostly of tricky or interesting audio clips from Using French. I found it has helped my listening comprehension and because of the grammar and vocabulary notes I included has served as a good way to review the course.

tastyonions
Triglot
United States
Joined 4461 days ago

1044 posts - 1823 votes 

Message 36 of 329
26 December 2012 at 12:47am | IP Logged 
geoffw wrote:
Awesome! I'm currently debating buying "Using French" myself (i.e., I'm going to buy it sooner or later). My biggest concern is whether I'd be able to concentrate on finishing the active wave of NFWE with the advanced course lying
around.

Could you not start on UF while still doing the active wave of NFWE? That is actually what I am planning to do (but I still have a month and a half of passive lessons in NFWE before that happens).

Quote:
Make sure to let us know how "L'étranger" goes for you.

I will.

conroy wrote:
tastyonions wrote:

I got a lot out of Using French. What I found was that the actors spoke less clearly than on NFWE, which spurred me into making an anki deck composed mostly of tricky or interesting audio clips from Using French. I found it has helped my listening comprehension and because of the grammar and vocabulary notes I included has served as a good way to review the course.

Cool. I popped the CD into my computer just to hear some of it, and what you said about the less clear speech does seem to be true.

geoffw
Triglot
United States
Joined 4484 days ago

1134 posts - 1865 votes 

Message 37 of 329
26 December 2012 at 3:52am | IP Logged 
tastyonions wrote:
Could you not start on UF while still doing the active wave of NFWE? That is actually what I
am planning to do (but I still have a month and a half of passive lessons in NFWE before that happens).

In theory, yes, but seeing as I'm doing Assimil Italian at the same time, and I'm soon to hit the active wave for
Italian, I doubt I'll be able to make the time and muster the effort to do that, and French active wave, and UF all at
the same time.

tastyonions
Triglot
United States
Joined 4461 days ago

1044 posts - 1823 votes 

Message 38 of 329
26 December 2012 at 1:51pm | IP Logged 
Yeah, that's understandable. Personally, I have other languages I would love to study as well, like German, Spanish, and Norwegian, but I feel like I will make better progress in French if I study it exclusively for the first couple of years. After that, if I'm sufficiently advanced by then, I would like to use it as a base to study my third, fourth, etc. languages. :-)

tastyonions
Triglot
United States
Joined 4461 days ago

1044 posts - 1823 votes 

Message 39 of 329
26 December 2012 at 5:37pm | IP Logged 
Native Sentences 0010 - 0011 (Day 9): [first speaker] "Le recruteur peut aussi avoir envie de cerner quel rôle votre environnement personnel a joué dans la construction de votre projet professionnel." -- [second speaker] "D’accord. J’avais dix-neuf ans, un entretien d’embauche, on m’a demandé si j’avais un petit ami."

And my recording: audio

This one was pretty shaky, maybe because it was the longest one yet. My nasal vowels don't sound quite the way I want them to, and my rhythm and tone still need *lots* of work. I did find the original recording easy to understand from the get-go, though, which was nice. Also, in my version I changed the last bit to "une petite amie" deliberately, since I don't imagine I would have a boyfriend. :-P

Assimil Lesson 78 was *hard* for me this morning. More on that later when I've come closer to mastering it.

Edited by tastyonions on 26 December 2012 at 5:40pm

geoffw
Triglot
United States
Joined 4484 days ago

1134 posts - 1865 votes 

Message 40 of 329
26 December 2012 at 6:04pm | IP Logged 
Yes, 78 was one of, and probably THE hardest lesson for me. I remember it well. Spend some extra time on it if you
can, but don't get too discouraged!

This discussion contains 329 messages over 42 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 46 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version