United States
goo.gl/UIdChYRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4461 days ago

1044 posts - 1823 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Spanish
Studies: Italian

Message 25 of 329
23 December 2012 at 5:52pm | IP Logged 
Man, *nothing* works quite right on this computer. And it's almost 2013 and Windows *still* doesn't come with a proper text editor that supports having multiple files open at once?! And I'm afraid to edit the opening post in this browser because it does weird things to text alignment...anyway, I'm not going to let technical annoyances keep me from my studies.

Native Sentence 0006 is: "Ce que je dirais moi par rapport à ça, il y a pas forcément de mauvaise intention de la part du recruteur."

And my recording: audio
(sorry for the WAV file)

I think I did okay with this one. My rhythm and tonality may be the best they have been so far, but some of the vowels definitely sound off. I basically just skipped over the "é" in "forcément," and "de" and "du" (in "de la part du recruteur") don't sound right to me. On a more positive note, I realized "intention" is a great word for practicing the nasal vowels. :-)

Assimil will be done later today, after shopping.

Edited by tastyonions on 23 December 2012 at 11:00pm

1 person has voted this message useful

tastyonions
Triglot
United States
Joined 4461 days ago

1044 posts - 1823 votes 

Message 26 of 329
23 December 2012 at 10:46pm | IP Logged 
Assimil Lesson 75 (Passive): This one wasn't too tough. A few of the phrases were too quick for me to catch during the first few listens. There wasn't much in the way of new vocab or grammar today. There were some new idioms but I had already picked them up elsewhere previously. Just a couple new words:

placard
scie

Assimil Lesson 25 (Active): This one went quite well. Got caught up on a few prepositions again, though. Also, it's confusing that "descend" is pronounced like "déscend."

Since I had problems typing accented letters properly on this computer, I wrote out the lessons rather than typing, and I think I actually prefer writing. It seems like the slower speed makes me think about the sentences more or something.

All in all, it has been a good day for French so far. I think I will see if I can fit a movie in later.

Edited by tastyonions on 23 December 2012 at 10:59pm

geoffw
Triglot
United States
Joined 4484 days ago

1134 posts - 1865 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Yiddish
Studies: Modern Hebrew, French, Dutch, Italian, Russian

Message 27 of 329
24 December 2012 at 1:11am | IP Logged 
tastyonions wrote:
Assimil Lesson 25 (Active): This one went quite well. Got caught up on a few
prepositions again, though. Also, it's confusing that "descend" is pronounced like "déscend."

Really? What edition do you have? That word is only in lesson 26, not lesson 25, in my edition. At any rate, any idea
why it sounds like there's an accent on it?

tastyonions
Triglot
United States
Joined 4461 days ago

1044 posts - 1823 votes 

Message 28 of 329
24 December 2012 at 1:48am | IP Logged 
Oops, you're right, I made a typo: I did Lesson 26 today, not 25.

And I'm not sure why it's pronounced that way. I think I saw another word that was like that, too, but I can't remember it right now.

tastyonions
Triglot
United States
Joined 4461 days ago

1044 posts - 1823 votes 

Message 29 of 329
24 December 2012 at 3:51pm | IP Logged 
Native Sentence 0007: "C'est potentiellement un moyen d'initier l'échange sur une tonalité conviviale."

I'm reasonably content with this one, but there is definitely room for improvement. My "o" in "potentiellement" sounds like "ô" to me, and I've noticed that I tend to slip into using "sh" rather than "s" on certain "-tie" words like "initier." Further ideas for tuning up my pronunciation, rhythm, etc. are always welcome! :-)

Assimil Lesson 76 (Passive): This one was pretty darn tough for me. I wasn't able to get much even after a few listens, mostly because new vocabulary was key to understanding some of the sentences. New words and phrases today:

futé
la grosse caisse
offrire
à tel point que
prevenir
appuyer
paraître
rapporteur
méfier
détendre

I will be doing Lesson 27 for today's active phase after a final bit of shopping.

Edited by tastyonions on 24 December 2012 at 3:53pm

geoffw
Triglot
United States
Joined 4484 days ago

1134 posts - 1865 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Yiddish
Studies: Modern Hebrew, French, Dutch, Italian, Russian

Message 30 of 329
24 December 2012 at 8:18pm | IP Logged 
I managed to get confused and not get the second joke (about the Citroën) for the longest time in doing this
lesson.

Is "appuyer" from the lesson? I got especially concerned that I didn't know it myself, but then I didn't see it in there
(or in the index), but so now I learned it, too.

tastyonions
Triglot
United States
Joined 4461 days ago

1044 posts - 1823 votes 

Message 31 of 329
24 December 2012 at 11:11pm | IP Logged 
Assimil Lesson 27 (Active): This one went very smoothly, kind of balancing out the relative difficulty of today's passive lesson.

geoffw wrote:
Is "appuyer" from the lesson? I got especially concerned that I didn't know it myself, but then I didn't see it in there (or in the index), but so now I learned it, too.

It's from the first translation exercise that follows the lesson: "La machine ne marche que lorsque vous appuyez ici."

Edited by tastyonions on 24 December 2012 at 11:28pm

tastyonions
Triglot
United States
Joined 4461 days ago

1044 posts - 1823 votes 

Message 32 of 329
25 December 2012 at 1:31pm | IP Logged 
As I wrote earlier, each week I'll be adding one more native sentence per day to my routine, so this week I'll be doing two a day. Again, my task in this project is twofold: (1) listen to each sentence and analyze its grammar and usages so that I come to understand it effortlessly, and (2) record myself speaking the sentence(s) with the best pronunciation, rhythm, and intonation I can *without* rehearsing very much. So, time for the first day of two sentences!

Native Sentences 0008 - 0009 (Day 8): "Il faut aller vers le plus de naturel et le plus de sincérité possibles. Répondez strictement à la question, sans forcément rentrer dans les détails."

Sorry for whispering, but it's Christmas morning and the computer here is rather close to my parents' bedroom. If I have time later, I may record a clip at normal volume, but I wanted to make sure I at least got a clip made for the day. As it is, I think it sounds okay, though my nasal vowels seem kind of off to me, particularly "on."

I'll probably have time to do Assimil 77 and 28 before the rest of my family wakes up.

Merry Christmas, everyone!

This discussion contains 329 messages over 42 pages: << Prev 1 2 35 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version