United States
goo.gl/UIdChYRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4461 days ago

1044 posts - 1823 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Spanish
Studies: Italian

Message 17 of 329
21 December 2012 at 8:27pm | IP Logged 
I definitely find comedy the hardest kind of French to understand. But I can "get" silly YouTube videos, and I like watching them, so Gonzague has become part of my learning:

Gonzague s'incruste dans la voiture de Zac Efron
Le mec le plus jaloux du monde
defi emballer une dauphine de miss france
DEFI: exposer sa statue au Louvre

On another note, I'm noticing that Assimil uses "nous" forms *way* more often (and "on" forms far less often) than French people typically do in native media. Since reading about the versatility of "on" on the Fluent French Now site, I've been more aware of just how much it pops up. For example, on France Inter today, I heard: "Si on aime la France, on doit la servir."

And here's a clip of me saying the sentence, just for the heck of it: audio

Edited by tastyonions on 21 December 2012 at 8:28pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

emk
Diglot
United States
Joined 5328 days ago

2615 posts - 8806 votes 
Speaks: English*, FrenchB2
Studies: Spanish, Ancient Egyptian
Personal Language Map

Message 18 of 329
21 December 2012 at 9:12pm | IP Logged 
tastyonions wrote:
On another note, I'm noticing that Assimil uses "nous" forms *way* more often (and "on" forms far less often) than French people typically do in native media. Since reading about the versatility of "on" on the Fluent French Now site, I've been more aware of just how much it pops up.

I think that most French courses are insanely misleading about on and nous, Assimil included. The standard first person plural subject pronoun in spoken French is on, except maybe if you're speaking to strangers in France. In day-to-day life, everybody that I know says on—and I listen hard for other forms.

The other place where French courses tend to be really misleading is question formation. Seriously, people don't normally speak like this, no matter what your French books might claim:

Quote:
Les parcs nationaux sont-ils menacés ?

1 person has voted this message useful

tastyonions
Triglot
United States
Joined 4461 days ago

1044 posts - 1823 votes 

Message 19 of 329
21 December 2012 at 9:44pm | IP Logged 
Yeah, I had noticed that about questions. It seems like the "Est-ce que..." form (without inversion) is used more often than the inverted one.

Here's my attempt at the dreaded "très rare" I mentioned in your thread: audio

Edited by tastyonions on 21 December 2012 at 9:45pm

tastyonions
Triglot
United States
Joined 4461 days ago

1044 posts - 1823 votes 

Message 20 of 329
22 December 2012 at 2:21pm | IP Logged 
Assimil Lesson 74 (Passive): This one was pretty tough. I didn't get many of the details on the first listen. Here are the new terms it introduced:

écran
accueillir
doué
cascadeur
figurants
avoir la cote
être sorti vs. avoir sorti

Assimil Lesson 25 (Active): This went okay, but I was still noticing some holes in my prepositions, which need to be patched up, and a few of the "vocab" terms that hadn't been used again since this lesson, which I guess is understandable. This is just proving once again that even if I would understand the lesson easily and perfectly on listening to the French version, I can't always reproduce it from the English version. I'm starting to think it would have been beneficial to add an active component to my Assimil routine *before* the actual "active phase," even though that goes against their instructions. I'll keep that in mind if I use Assimil for other languages.

Native Sentence 0005: "Pour autant, ça fait vraisemblablement partie d’une pratique puisqu'elle vous a été posée."

And my recording: audio

I *really* need to work on my rhythm and intonation. They're so off. I've read about the basics of French intonation, but I find it very hard to concentrate on my pronunciation while trying to keep a proper rhythm and tone at the same time.

I'm up for the challenge, though.

[Edit: I'll be flying out today to stay with my parents for Christmas, but I'll be taking all my Assimil stuff and my webcam, too. I'm pretty sure I'll still have time to fit in my morning routine while I'm there (two Assimil lessons plus a recording).]

Edited by tastyonions on 22 December 2012 at 2:35pm

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5130 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 21 of 329
22 December 2012 at 3:00pm | IP Logged 
I think you are doing great. For a learner you gave a great accent, and more importantly you do not have an
English/American accent - which is rare.

And recording yourself is a fantastic idea. I would not even begin to know how to do that tecnically, nor would
I have the guts to do so, but I think it is a marvellous idea!

I am sure you will do wonders with your French this year!

tastyonions
Triglot
United States
Joined 4461 days ago

1044 posts - 1823 votes 

Message 22 of 329
22 December 2012 at 3:42pm | IP Logged 
Solfrid Cristin wrote:
I think you are doing great. For a learner you gave a great accent, and more importantly you do not have an English/American accent - which is rare.

Wow, thanks! Coming from one of my favorite polyglots that makes me feel great. :-)

Quote:
And recording yourself is a fantastic idea. I would not even begin to know how to do that tecnically, nor would I have the guts to do so, but I think it is a marvellous idea!

It's quite easy, technically speaking. If you have a somewhat recent computer (anything made within the last ten years probably), all you need is a webcam, which can be had for pretty cheap, and Audacity, which is free. But I totally understand about the "guts" aspect; I had been thinking I ought to make recordings for months before I actually did.

Quote:
I am sure you will do wonders with your French this year!

Thanks. :-)

sctroyenne
Diglot
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5187 days ago

739 posts - 1312 votes 
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Spanish, Irish

Message 23 of 329
23 December 2012 at 9:17am | IP Logged 
tastyonions wrote:
On another note, I'm noticing that Assimil uses "nous" forms *way*
more often (and "on" forms far less often) than French people typically do in native
media. Since reading about the versatility of "on" on the Fluent French Now site, I've
been more aware of just how much it pops up. For example, on France Inter today, I
heard: "Si on aime la France, on doit la servir."

Just to give an example, in my 4 years of high school French followed by a few
semesters of college French, it was never mentioned that the French hardly ever use
"nous" in speech. When I arrived in France for my year abroad, I was still using "nous"
and people were complimenting me on how "correct" my French was compared to native
speakers (which isn't a real compliment if your goal isn't to speak like a book). Now,
if I had been a better language student at the time and actually started exposing
myself to more native media outside the classroom I would have discovered that much
earlier.

And inversion for questions is used more in higher register/written French than in
regular coversation (unless you're in the 16ème - the district of Paris known for its
posh accent). Which is another thing I didn't learn in class. Another marker of higher
register French is how much liaisons a speaker makes. The more optional liaisons made,
the posher the accent.

And seriously, don't feel down about your accent. It's more than good and there are
many, many French learners who aren't anywhere near as good even after a decade in
France.

tastyonions
Triglot
United States
Joined 4461 days ago

1044 posts - 1823 votes 

Message 24 of 329
23 December 2012 at 5:37pm | IP Logged 
sctroyenne wrote:
Just to give an example, in my 4 years of high school French
followed by a few
semesters of college French, it was never mentioned that the French hardly ever use
"nous" in speech. When I arrived in France for my year abroad, I was still using "nous"
and people were complimenting me on how "correct" my French was compared to native
speakers (which isn't a real compliment if your goal isn't to speak like a book). Now,
if I had been a better language student at the time and actually started exposing
myself to more native media outside the classroom I would have discovered that much
earlier.

And inversion for questions is used more in higher register/written French than in
regular coversation (unless you're in the 16ème - the district of Paris known for its
posh accent). Which is another thing I didn't learn in class. Another marker of higher
register French is how much liaisons a speaker makes. The more optional liaisons made,
the posher the accent.

Interesting; I didn't know that about the social implications of liaisons.

I wish I had taken French in high school, or had time to take it in college now. I'm
going to look into whether there's a French club that I can join or something, though.
:-)

Quote:
And seriously, don't feel down about your accent. It's more than good and there
are
many, many French learners who aren't anywhere near as good even after a decade in
France.

Merci ! :-D

This discussion contains 329 messages over 42 pages: << Prev 1 24 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version