United States
goo.gl/UIdChYRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4461 days ago

1044 posts - 1823 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Spanish
Studies: Italian

Message 289 of 329
31 October 2013 at 11:36pm | IP Logged 
Pour vous donner une idée de mon niveau en espagnol, tout à l'heure je pouvais lire (lentement) cet article sans trop de difficulté : http://sociedad.elpais.com/sociedad/2013/10/31/actualidad/13 83179691_400110.html

Je pense faire bientôt un enregistrement de lecture en espagnol. On m'a dit que j'ai une assez bonne prononciation mais peut-être les gens de HTLAL pourraient me donner quelques conseils aussi.

Je parles presque quotidiennement avec deux Espagnols et aujourd'hui j'ai eu une leçon avec un bon tuteur d'Italki. Ça avance !

Une vidéo qui a l'air intéressant (je n'ai pas encore regardé la totalité) : Le français parlé au Québec : petite histoire d'un discrédit

Si vous ne l'avez pas encore vue, François Hollande chante "Emploi Où T'es ?" (après Stromae - "Papaoutai") [Les Guignols].

Edited by tastyonions on 31 October 2013 at 11:44pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

tastyonions
Triglot
United States
Joined 4461 days ago

1044 posts - 1823 votes 

Message 290 of 329
01 November 2013 at 6:03pm | IP Logged 
I've been thinking about how to manage my log now that I'm learning two languages. I'm not sure it makes sense to keep writing it all in French, since there are plenty of native speakers (and learners!) of Spanish who can't read French but would be able to help me out with things I post here about my learning process. I think for now I may switch back to writing in English unless a post contains only things that are of interest to French speakers.

Since I haven't really mentioned it yet, here's what I'm using to learn Spanish:

Espagnol Débutant (there's a version with CDs, but I didn't have the money for it)
LingQ
Destinos
Daily conversations with natives on Verbling and Skype
Tutor from iTalki, twice a week
Occasional listens to Radio Nacional (Spain) (really too difficult for now)
Articles from El País

Having had some high school classes, I'm not a real débutant in Spanish, so the first lessons of the book have been rather easy, but it's good to review everything and I've picked up some new vocabulary, too.

On the French front, I found a video explaining how to download the shows from France Culture, France Inter, etc. (Yes, I had no idea it was possible and had been recording the audio stream from the site to get MP3s of the shows, haha!).

Edited by tastyonions on 01 November 2013 at 6:09pm

1 person has voted this message useful

sctroyenne
Diglot
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5187 days ago

739 posts - 1312 votes 
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Spanish, Irish

Message 291 of 329
01 November 2013 at 6:50pm | IP Logged 
You've reminded me that I can be practicing conversation a lot more through iTalki (and
all the rest)! I'll try to get on that.

The radio shows also publish podcasts and I've the RSS Radio app for iPhone (if you have
one) lets you save them.

Oh, et merci d'avoir partagé le clip des Guignols !   

tastyonions
Triglot
United States
Joined 4461 days ago

1044 posts - 1823 votes 

Message 292 of 329
02 November 2013 at 5:06am | IP Logged 
Verbling is proving really excellent for Spanish. It has always been a bit tough to
find French natives, but Hispanophones are one of the most common groups on there. I've
collected a few Skype contacts with whom I can converse regularly, and had some fun
conversations in the chat groups lately.

For example, the other night there was a polyglot from Mexico in one of the Spanish
groups. He spoke excellent English and what seemed like really fluent Portuguese, but
that night when speaking in Spanish he seemed to be fond of switching between his
native Mexican accent and a super-Anglophone one. When he addressed me with the latter
at one point, I did my best hammed-up "American speaking Spanish" in return and got
some laughs.

Tonight I was speaking with some other natives and we took turns sharing tongue-
twisters from our respective languages. Afterward they asked me a lot of questions
about English pronunciation and seemed to be in awe at Anglophones' ability to
distinguish between so many different vowel sounds. :-)

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4503 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 293 of 329
02 November 2013 at 10:43am | IP Logged 
Hey! I was just trawling through the archives of one of my tutors reviews on iTalki and
found out you've been using the same tutor to teach you French!

She's good, isn't she...!

tastyonions
Triglot
United States
Joined 4461 days ago

1044 posts - 1823 votes 

Message 294 of 329
02 November 2013 at 8:20pm | IP Logged 
tarvos wrote:
Hey! I was just trawling through the archives of one of my tutors reviews on iTalki and found out you've been using the same tutor to teach you French!

She's good, isn't she...!

She is indeed. She was also the first native speaker I ever spoke with. :-)

---

Nice article (French) about the Coen Brothers, the actors they've worked with, and the hair styles in their films.

Interesting video (English) about several aspects of American English, including a vowel shift being undergone in the northern cities of the U.S (relevant Wiki article).

Edited by tastyonions on 02 November 2013 at 8:21pm

tastyonions
Triglot
United States
Joined 4461 days ago

1044 posts - 1823 votes 

Message 295 of 329
03 November 2013 at 6:14am | IP Logged 
Okay, I got the same comment again about having a French accent in Spanish! This guy has heard me speak plenty of times and tonight he told me, "You've pretty much gotten rid of the American in your accent, now you just have a French one instead." Hahaha. Apparently one thing I do is that I tend to nasalize syllables like "on" and "en."

tastyonions
Triglot
United States
Joined 4461 days ago

1044 posts - 1823 votes 

Message 296 of 329
03 November 2013 at 10:37pm | IP Logged 
Found an excellent resource for Spanish learners: Catálogo de voces hispánicas

It has a bunch of videos of native speakers from all over the Hispanophone world, with full transcriptions and linguistic notes, too.

This discussion contains 329 messages over 42 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version