Language Learning Forum : General discussion Post Reply
766 messages over 96 pages: << Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 21 ... 95 96 Next >>

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6491 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 161 of 766
11 May 2014 at 10:59pm | IP Logged 
kanewai wrote:

Here's and idea: let's post about what we're reading and watching, and stop all current
and future arguments about any of this.

To the point where I'd ask the mods to delete any posts that aren't directly about
books and movies (and similar things). Including this one.    

I have read the last couple of pages and I tend to agree with those who are tired of methodological discussions and just want to get on with their language learning.
2 persons have voted this message useful

kanewai
Triglot
United States
justpaste.it/kanewai
Joined 4677 days ago

1386 posts - 3054 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Marshallese
Studies: Italian, Spanish

Message 162 of 766
11 May 2014 at 11:04pm | IP Logged 
I knew Peter's post was buried in one of these rooms!

I actually agree that films are one of the least effective ways to learn a language,
though I realize it's a minority opinion!   Not that it's not useful, just that it's
not super efficient.

My own experience in the first SC was that I could see huge gains in my reading month
by month. Movies seemed to stay as hard at the beginning as they were at the end. It
wasn't even until the very, very last days that I watched my first French tv series
without subtitles. Movies are still hard.

Jeffers wrote:
This is the discussion thread, to discuss the challenge in general.
The update thread is where some people are writing about what they've read and watched.
For myself, I'm using my log to write about the books I've read and films I've watched.

doh. I knew that : )   Just slipped. I'll head over there and try to bump it up.

Once we are in a groove I'll make a post with links to everyone's logs. I tried it with
the first SC, but there dozens of people who signed up but never posted, ever, so I'd
rather wait to see who's really in it before I put in the time.

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5122 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 163 of 766
11 May 2014 at 11:04pm | IP Logged 
I have logged 300 pages in Russian, in a week, and actually understood most of it, so personally I don't
really care what the ranking says, I am a winner anyway. I still remember the time when reading 300 pages in
Russian AND understanding what I was reading was as far off as becoming a math professor or an athlete.

You can rank us after eye color for all I care. To have most people motivated, I think it would be best to have
them ranked by most films/literature done in one language, and when that was completed in a second
language. And perhaps we could find a way where books weigh 2-1 with films in the ranking, or people
appear to be binging on films.

And I apologize for the inelegant English, but for a number of (all pleasant) reasons my RL gives me so much
stress right now, that I am unable to handle any extra stress from the Super Challenge discussions right now.

Edited by Solfrid Cristin on 11 May 2014 at 11:08pm

PeterMollenburg
AustraliaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5264 days ago

821 posts - 1273 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: FrenchB1

Message 164 of 766
11 May 2014 at 11:19pm | IP Logged 
Serpent wrote:
However, the current rules encourage burnout and make the permission
to do multiple challenges or half-challenges nearly pointless. Just like Cristina
doesn't want newbies to think it's normal to do many languages for the challenge, I
don't want anyone to think it's not normal to learn many languages, whether you
do the Super Challenge in them or not.

I was under the impression an argument was occurring here, as many others it seems were
also under that impression. Firstly I'd like to point out I thought Serpent was
rambling on far too much. Perhaps that is the case, but I do think Serpent (obviously)
is just trying to make a point/ a few points clear here and we may not be listening
simply because we don't want to? I think we are FALSELY believing that Serpent is
arguing. There is NO negative argument or fighting happening here. We are assuming
there is a negative insistent tone involved. We all know it's difficult to interpret
tone from a written discussion, so be careful associating a mood with ppl's posts.
Serpent it appears is NOT angry, just trying to create some fairness out of this
challenge.

This website encourages ppl to learn languages, no matter how many they learn. Cristina
has created a brilliant challenge and it's brilliant, fantastica, awesome etc etc.
Others have come together to play some fantastic roles as Cristina pointed out also.
Thanks guys, but....

Yes it's Cristina's creation, and being her creation it holds some of her trademarks.
Obvsiously she feels it 'better' to study fewer languages, but like Serpent I tend to
feel there should be no harm/impact on those who choose to study multiple languages (i
only want to do one or 2 max) over a 20 month period. In other words I really feel that
all of what we do, whether in one language or 20 languages should be counted together.
This way NO ONE is disadvantaged whether they choose to study one or twenty. The
amounnt of study you do in total therefore matters not how many languages you study- it
would be fairer and work for everyone. Individuals should be smart enough to know how
many languages they can study at once and if not they will learn. I'd advise a little
empathy for those that don't study like I do currently and do study several languages.
Personally I don't like it at the moment, but some ppl do. We keep saying we are all
different, this is a site that welcomes polyglots, at least leave it up to the
individual how they study- I say count it all- together.

4 persons have voted this message useful

PeterMollenburg
AustraliaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5264 days ago

821 posts - 1273 votes 
Studies: FrenchB1

Message 165 of 766
11 May 2014 at 11:27pm | IP Logged 
kanewai wrote:
I knew Peter's post was buried in one of these rooms!

I actually agree that films are one of the least effective ways to learn a language,
though I realize it's a minority opinion!   Not that it's not useful, just that it's
not super efficient.

Hi kanewai,

Yes this is what I was getting it. It's not useless but it is less efficient. There are
indeed benefits to it, absolutely, and it seems you can get things out of film you
can't get from other avenues of study. Balance is the key. Use all methods of study,
don't limit or corner yourself too much. In the end tho as it's been said so many times
before, we all learn differently, some of us prob gain more than others from watching
films. I'm not going to not watch them, i'm just going to keep these things in mind. :)
Fry on!
1 person has voted this message useful

Jeffers
United Kingdom
Joined 4697 days ago

2151 posts - 3960 votes 
Studies: Hindi, Ancient Greek, French, Sanskrit, German

Message 166 of 766
11 May 2014 at 11:34pm | IP Logged 
kanewai wrote:
Once we are in a groove I'll make a post with links to everyone's logs. I tried it with the first SC, but there dozens of people who signed up but never posted, ever, so I'd rather wait to see who's really in it before I put in the time.

Two excellent ideas. I look forward to seeing the list when you make it.

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5122 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 167 of 766
11 May 2014 at 11:42pm | IP Logged 
Last time over there were less than 10 people who succeeded in one single language. There are perhaps
three-four people on the whole forum who can pull off studying a whole bunch.

I will not set up everyone for failure.

Everything you do in your life does not have to be part of the Super Challenge. It is a very specific challenge
intended for one language where you want to see a considerable progress. There is the TAC, the 6wc and
the Tadoku which all cater for multiple languages. I do multiple languages myself, but if all you do is log every
little bit of study in every language you do, then there is no point.

I would again, strongly, recommend that if the already very broad rules for the SC are too narrow, then set up
alternative challenges where absolutely everything is allowed. I am sure it would be helpful and motivating for
some. But for the love of God, let us focus on the studying and drop all the bickering, and accept that the
rules for this particular Challenge is now set.
10 persons have voted this message useful

rdearman
United Kingdom
rdearman.orgRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5024 days ago

881 posts - 1812 votes 
Studies: Italian, French, Mandarin

Message 168 of 766
11 May 2014 at 11:44pm | IP Logged 
Jeffers wrote:
While I think the idea of consistency rankings is good in principle, doesn't the weekly streak that surrealix is implementing already fit the bill? If you have something else in mind, that might just get more complicated. We could barely come up with the definition of a book; it will take us many pages of discussion to come to a definition of what consistency means.

I don't want to start a war. Just want to answer the question above. :-)

My personal idea of a consistency ranking is like I said the Sienfeld principle that each week you mark off to keep the "chain" of results on-going. Now my understanding of the surrealix implementation is:

Quote:
But for those who are interested in this, you'll get a small badge next to your name when you reach 10, 20, or 40 consecutive days of studying (Bronze, Silver and Gold respectively). There's also one for the number of consecutive weeks - at 5, 10 and 20.

My view would be that a gold medal is for 100 percent consistency, i.e. no break in the chain. Meaning you've posted some type of action book or film each week. Then Silver for 90-99% consistent and Bronze for 75-89%. This would be based on the total number of weeks since commencement on the 1st of May. Implementation is easy it is the total number of reported actions divided by the total number of weeks the challenge has been running.

So if you tweeted a result 8 weeks out of ten, you have a 80% consistency rating. (8/10)*100 = 80.00 or a Silver Medal.

The reason I'm proposing this is because I know I truly am in a competition with myself, so making sure I keep my gold medal ranking would force me to read/watch something every week.

I would also like to only keep my gold medal if I've posted BOTH a film and a book each week. On a side note; I think I would have already failed this test in French since I've been unable to get through 50 pages of Lovecraft in time. So using the criteria above my rank as of today would be Silver in French and Gold in Italian.

So this is different from having a streak. This means a lag mid-challenge and you'll lose your medals, so you have to keep plugging away day in and day out.

Of course this assumes surrealix is tracking the timestamp of the tweets, but since he is already doing streaks I have to assume he is tracking that information.

Edited by rdearman on 11 May 2014 at 11:48pm

This discussion contains 766 messages over 96 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version