Tetraglot
Japan
Joined 5252 days ago

772 posts - 1474 votes 
Speaks: English*, Japanese, German, Russian
Studies: Georgian

Message 25 of 431
01 February 2010 at 7:27am | IP Logged 
რუსეთში წავედი იმიტომ რომ იმ დროს ვსწავლობდი რუსულ ენას უნივერსიტეტში.

ჩემ საშუალო სკოლაში იყო რუსულ ენის მასწავლებელი. ინგლისური სკოლებში რუსულ ენას მასწავლებლები ძალიან იშვიათი არიან, ამიტომ მე ბედნიერი ვიყავი. რყსულ ენას ვსწავლობდი იმიტომ რომ ძალიან მიყვარს რყსული ლიტერატურა.

რუსეთში ვცხოვრობდი პატაეა ქალაქში იაროსლავლი. აქ სწავლობდი რუსულ ენას და აგრეთვე ვლაპარაკობდი რუსულად და ვსვამდი ვოდკას ჩემ რუს მეგობრებთან ერთად. ძალიან გასართობი იყო.

მალტა როგორ არის? Enjoy your holiday!

Oh, I have two questions to ask you if you don't mind. How do you say "Thank you for ...", and how do you say "I think that..." in Georgian?

Edited by TixhiiDon on 01 February 2010 at 7:34am

1 person has voted this message useful

TixhiiDon
Tetraglot
Japan
Joined 5252 days ago

772 posts - 1474 votes 

Message 26 of 431
03 February 2010 at 5:46am | IP Logged 
Well, while my teacher Marich27 enjoys her [his?] holiday in Malta, I'll update my progress for the few of you who are interested.

I'm still working with the Kiziria book most days, either listening to dialogues on the train or reading before breakfast and at lunch. I'm currently at Lesson 8/9, and since there are only 13 lessons in the book, it looks like I'll be finished with it quite soon, which is sad as it's a damn fine textbook.

The enormous Aronson book lies threateningly on my desk and I occasionally give in to it and open it up, but to be honest I find it utterly exhausting. It's just so bloody comprehensive! It's telling me how to construct unreal past conditions while I just want to know how to say "I like Japanese food." If I get through it before the onset of Alzheimer's I will be proud of myself.

Byki has been neglected of late too. I have over 300 words and phrases memorized now though, so it has certainly been useful.

Plus I have my class every week and my practice on here with Marich27, to whom I am eternally grateful. And most importantly, I'm still motivated, even if not quite as maniacally as during the first month, and still having a lot of fun.

I was thinking about my life of language-learning the other day, and I figured that I'm now in the "purely for fun" period. From the age of 11 right through to a few years ago I devoted a huge amount of time to serious language study, always with the aim of being able to say with confidence "I am fluent in X". I don't think I ever really got there with my two university languages, German and Russian, despite years of study and periods living in Russia and Austria, while several other languages I began to study - French, Polish, and Thai - fell by the wayside. However, with Japanese I have without question reached advanced fluency, to the extent that I can live and work with the language completely comfortably in all situations that life throws at me. So now it's time to have fun, seek out the languages that interest me no matter how obscure, useless and difficult they may be, have a go at them without any specific goals, and see where they take me. Georgian is the first of these, and it's a great choice, even if I do say so myself, a fascinating language from a fascinating country.

marich27
Triglot
Groupie
Netherlands
Joined 5205 days ago

41 posts - 42 votes
Speaks: Georgian*, EnglishC2, Dutch

Message 27 of 431
03 February 2010 at 9:44am | IP Logged 
Marich27 is enjoying her stay on Malta a lot! Sorry I did not answer your question on
time. Here are the answers:

Thank you for - gmadlobT X-sTvis e.ge. gmadlobT wignisTvis, gmadlobT daxmarebisTvis
I think that - me vfiqrob rom... me vfiqrob rom iaponuri samzareuli (cuisine)
gemrielia.
food - saWmeli, sakvebi. It is nicer to say "samzareuli" though.

A little bit about my stay on Malta in Georgian:
me Zalian momwons malta. aq pirvelad Camovedi.Cemi azriT lamazi qveyanaa. marTalia
bevri xeebi ar aris da saerTod mwvane adgilbi naklebadaa, magram mainc momwons,
gansakuTrebiT (especially) viwro quCebi (narrow streets). vfiqrob rom zafxulSi ufro
kargi iqneba. zgva Zalian lamazia.

tokioSi rogori amindebia? kvelaze metad ra mogwons iaponiaSi? pirvelad rom Caxvedi ra
mogeCvena kvelaze ucnaurad da gansxvavebulad?

That's it for today. Looking forward to see the answers to the question! :)

zhiguli
Canada
Joined 6229 days ago

176 posts - 221 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Russian, Mandarin

Message 28 of 431
03 February 2010 at 11:00am | IP Logged 
I've been "eavesdropping" on your correspondence and found it quite helpful as well, so thanks for posting.

marich27
Triglot
Groupie
Netherlands
Joined 5205 days ago

41 posts - 42 votes

Message 29 of 431
03 February 2010 at 3:17pm | IP Logged 
zhiguli, that's nice to know. keep on "eavesdropping" and commenting as well.

TixhiiDon
Tetraglot
Japan
Joined 5252 days ago

772 posts - 1474 votes 

Message 30 of 431
07 February 2010 at 6:38am | IP Logged 
Sorry for the delay! I've been in bed all weekend with a bad bout of the 'flu. I can't remember the last time I was so ill...
Anyway, I'm still not feeling all that great today, so I'm not really up to the old kartuli, but I will be back to reply to your questions just as soon as I can.

unityandoutside
Diglot
Groupie
United States
Joined 5802 days ago

94 posts - 149 votes 
Speaks: English*, Russian
Studies: Latin, Mandarin

Message 31 of 431
07 February 2010 at 8:49am | IP Logged 
This is a really interesting log. I've been eying Georgian for a while now. I've got some materials on my computer and the Aronson book on the way from Amazon. I've looked through a PDF file and must say, it does look rather daunting. I've got some more down to earth materials in Russian, but they're computerized, and I loathe studying from computerized books. Realistically, I probably don't have time to study Georgian anyway.

In any case, you seem to be progressing very nicely! You seem to have understood a good bit of what was typed to you, which seems impressive considering the complexity of the language and the relatively short duration of your studies. I'm kinda jealous! Too bad there's probably not a single person who knows a even a lick of Georgian for miles and miles from where I live. I'd love to have the opportunity to take a class with real people.

I'll be following your log eagerly! Удачи!

Edited by unityandoutside on 07 February 2010 at 8:51am

marich27
Triglot
Groupie
Netherlands
Joined 5205 days ago

41 posts - 42 votes

Message 32 of 431
07 February 2010 at 11:39am | IP Logged 
get well soon TixhiiDon! ;)

This discussion contains 431 messages over 54 pages: << Prev 1 2 35 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version