Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4954 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, Norwegian, French, English, Italian, Papiamento
Studies: Mandarin, Georgian, Russian

Message 409 of 431
09 March 2013 at 9:29pm | IP Logged 
Looking forward to hearing your experience with a Georgian teacher through Skype,
Tixhiidon. Though I'm still not in the level at which i'd benefit from conversational
classes.

This resource is really good, if only it got adapted for English speakers! We'd have
one of the best resources available. I know zero Armenian and zero Azeri, I'd do just
like you, use it as a source for dialogues in Georgian.

I agree with you about the online libraries, they're cheap and now I have enough
resources for inspiring me to consistently read in the language. I'm sure I could
always resort to more experienced learners for the most complicated sentences =D

@iguanamon, did you search for your tutor at a specific place? I may try Chinese or
French, languages at which I'm more advanced than in Georgian (well not sure if my
Chinese is better than my Georgian, but Chinese is the type of language that even for
asking where the toilet is you need to say everything absolutely correct, so, native
speaker's advice is pretty much necessary even at the tourist level).

Good luck with your upcoming trip to Georgia, Tixhiidon! There was a remote chance that
I'd go there in September, but I think this isn't the most appropriate time, I'll wait
for next year maybe, if things go as planned.
1 person has voted this message useful

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4954 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, Norwegian, French, English, Italian, Papiamento
Studies: Mandarin, Georgian, Russian

Message 410 of 431
09 March 2013 at 9:33pm | IP Logged 
One thing I've noticed: they don't seem to have transcription to the dialogues, do they?
For example, at lesson 13 - ოჯახი.

zecchino1991
United States
facebook.com/amyybur
Joined 5046 days ago

778 posts - 885 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Italian, Modern Hebrew, Russian, Arabic (Written), Romanian, Icelandic, Georgian

Message 411 of 431
09 March 2013 at 9:54pm | IP Logged 
Yeah, I noticed that too, Expugnator. I don't think they have any, but maybe I'm just not looking in the right
place.

TixhiiDon
Tetraglot
Japan
Joined 5252 days ago

772 posts - 1474 votes 
Speaks: English*, Japanese, German, Russian
Studies: Georgian

Message 412 of 431
09 March 2013 at 11:32pm | IP Logged 
Thanks for all the replies folks. Iguanamon, thanks for letting me know that you've
benefited from skype lessons. Good to hear it from the horse's mouth!

Expug, this site http://www.language-school-teachers.com/ seems to be the best for
finding language teachers. It's the one I'm planning on using if I do decide to go ahead
and get a tutor, anyway.

marich27
Triglot
Groupie
Netherlands
Joined 5205 days ago

41 posts - 42 votes
Speaks: Georgian*, EnglishC2, Dutch

Message 413 of 431
10 March 2013 at 3:58pm | IP Logged 
Hi TixhiiDon! I see you are looking for a teacher to practice your Georgian via skype. I
can give you the contacts of a teacher in Georgia and you could try if you want.
Her skype user name is: natiaimeda
or facebook ილიკო თედორაშვილი.

Good luck and let me know if you can't reach her.

iguanamon
Pentaglot
Virgin Islands
Speaks: Ladino
Joined 5050 days ago

2237 posts - 6731 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Portuguese, Haitian Creole, Creole (French)

Message 414 of 431
11 March 2013 at 1:44am | IP Logged 
You're more than welcome, TD. Expugnator, finding a good tutor can be difficult. The person should be astute enough to recognize your problems by analyzing your speaking, comprehension, phonetics and usage. Then, the tutor must be able to devise a method to help you fix those problems. I am so lucky with my Portuguese tutor. I found her ad, online, in a classified ad in a Spanish language newspaper, because I specifically wanted someone who was not an English-speaker. Not being able to rely on English and refusing to speak Spanish unless I absolutely have to do so, really forces me to think in the TL.

A good site for tutors is italki.com, I hired my Haitian Creole tutor from there. Rates are reasonable. Since it is one on one instruction, you need to find someone with whom you can build a good rapport, someone who will correct you when you need it and will work with you on your weaknesses, not someone who will force their own way on you, disregarding your needs. You may have to go through a few before you find the right one. Don't be afraid to drop someone if you don't feel that person is a good fit for you. Once again, working with a tutor a couple of times a week is a supplement, not the whole focus of my learning. Combining my own, self-study, reading, listening, speaking, on-line chatting and writing, with the aid of a tutor has done wonders for me. I highly recommend it. Working with my tutor is what ties it all together for me, I look forward to those two, 1 hour, sessions every week.   

Edited by iguanamon on 11 March 2013 at 1:46am

2 persons have voted this message useful

zecchino1991
United States
facebook.com/amyybur
Joined 5046 days ago

778 posts - 885 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Italian, Modern Hebrew, Russian, Arabic (Written), Romanian, Icelandic, Georgian

Message 415 of 431
22 March 2013 at 4:35am | IP Logged 
Hey, this is not about Georgian at all, but I just now realized what your name means,
TixhiiDon. Don't know why it never clicked before!

TixhiiDon
Tetraglot
Japan
Joined 5252 days ago

772 posts - 1474 votes 
Speaks: English*, Japanese, German, Russian
Studies: Georgian

Message 416 of 431
22 March 2013 at 4:40am | IP Logged 
zecchino1991 wrote:
Hey, this is not about Georgian at all, but I just now realized
what your name means, TixhiiDon. Don't know why it never clicked before!

Ha! I don't know why I chose it, to be honest. I've read the book and watched the old
TV series, and I enjoyed them both, but they're not my favourites or anything. I guess I
just wanted something Russian and something literary but also something that sounds
vaguely like a nickname for an Internet forum.

How did you figure it out? Are you reading the book?

This discussion contains 431 messages over 54 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version