Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5129 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 17 of 672
18 December 2011 at 10:05pm | IP Logged 
Great! The more the merrier, and I know you are dedicated to Russian! The basic requirements are to start your own log, putting the team name on your log, and write in it with some degree of regularity, with details of your sucesses or failures, methods, tips and ideas. Reading the logs of your team members and giving them encouragement is also part of the game :-)
1 person has voted this message useful

Tecktight
Diglot
Winner TAC 2012
United States
Joined 4771 days ago

227 posts - 327 votes 
Speaks: English*, Serbian
Studies: German, Russian, Estonian

Message 18 of 672
20 December 2011 at 10:30pm | IP Logged 
Would anyone be up for an introductory Skype session, or something similar? I think it'd be sort of cool to "meet"
everyone, plus, eventually, we can use a similar method to practice speaking Russian with each other.
I think it'd add a unique cohesion to the team.

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5129 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 19 of 672
20 December 2011 at 10:41pm | IP Logged 
First thought: Smashing idea!
Second thought: Pure panic! I can barely put two sentences together in Russian and I have never used Skype!
Third thought: Ok. I hope I can go into German or Spanish if I end up sounding like a Russian clam - and the rest of you can explain how I use Skype, right? Plus I am a VERY good listener in Russian. Not too hot on comprehension, but really great on sitting quiet and listen.
Fourth thought: Flood of relief!! You said "eventually" for Russian speaking practice. That means I can use one of my stronger languages in the introductory phase, right?
Fifth thought: Smashing idea! When do we do this?

2 persons have voted this message useful

Tecktight
Diglot
Winner TAC 2012
United States
Joined 4771 days ago

227 posts - 327 votes 

Message 20 of 672
20 December 2011 at 10:52pm | IP Logged 
@Solfrid, your post made me laugh. :D In regards to your thoughts:

On your first thought: Hurrah! Glad you agree.

On your second thought: Well, learning is the point, isn't it? I'm no whiz myself. I'm counting on just speaking in
a Russian accent in English if all else fails...

On your third/fourth thought: Exactly! I, for one, wouldn't mind working on my German/Spanish, either, and
listening is always helpful, at any rate. Skype is super easy to use, but we might also look into Ventrilo
(http://www.ventrilo.com/) which is probably even easier for group convos. Once you download it and create a
username (I have to recall how to create a server/group, but it's easily done, if memory serves..) all you have to
do is connect and viola! speak easy.

On your fifth thought: I suppose whenever fits everyone's schedules? I'm guessing a weekend would be most
convenient? We'll have to figure out a time that can fit across time zones...

Isabliss_27
Diglot
Groupie
Brazil
Joined 4540 days ago

68 posts - 74 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, English
Studies: German, Russian, Latin, French

Message 21 of 672
21 December 2011 at 3:39pm | IP Logged 
Hey, guys! I already posted in the official thread, so here I am, joining the team. :)

aloysius
Triglot
Winner TAC 2010 & 2012
SwedenRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6035 days ago

226 posts - 291 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English, German
Studies: French, Greek, Italian, Russian

Message 22 of 672
21 December 2011 at 6:37pm | IP Logged 
That Skype thing sounds a bit intimidating as well as a lot of fun. Imagine us chatting
away in Russian by the end of the year, what an achievement that would be! A very long
way to go for me to get there, but not impossible I suppose.

It's rather pre-Christmas hectic on all fronts this time of year and I haven't had time
to plan how to tackle this TAC yet. Hopefully things are much clearer next week.

Nice too see that the team is growing. I look forward to reading all your logs!   

//aloysius

Tecktight
Diglot
Winner TAC 2012
United States
Joined 4771 days ago

227 posts - 327 votes 

Message 23 of 672
22 December 2011 at 11:00pm | IP Logged 
Welcome, Isabliss.

For everyone who doesn't have it, here is the link to download Skype: http://www.skype.com/intl/en-us/get-
skype/on-your-computer/windows/

Note that the free download version is page-left. It's really as simple as downloading the program and picking a
username. Later, after Christmas, we can arrange our first Skype session, during which we can introduce ourselves,
etc.

It'll be fun!

LanguageSponge
Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 5561 days ago

1197 posts - 1487 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, French
Studies: Welsh, Russian, Japanese, Slovenian, Greek, Italian

Message 24 of 672
23 December 2011 at 10:49am | IP Logged 
Good luck to all of you this coming year! I was considering also doing Russian for TAC
2012, and it's still painfully tempting as my Russian needs work, but I will
attempt to resist for another year.

By the way, I think Tecktight's introductory Skype-chat idea is fantastic, I hope it
goes well.

Solfrid, Skype really isn't too difficult to use once you get used to it, but perhaps
like most things, it might be a little intimidating at first. Stick with it though -
you say that your spoken Russian needs work, well, an encouraging team will work
wonders on your Russian in a year. Skype audio conversations are how I overcame the
*majority* of my fear of speaking French - and you may have got the impression from a
thread I started a while back that that was a major problem for me :]

I'll be following your logs closely!

Желаю вам больших успехов в изучении языков - Good luck with your languages :)

(Oh God, even writing that made me want to go back to it!)

Jack

Jack

This discussion contains 672 messages over 84 pages: << Prev 1 24 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version