United States
Joined 4771 days ago

227 posts - 327 votes 
Speaks: English*, Serbian
Studies: German, Russian, Estonian

Message 417 of 672
29 April 2012 at 3:56pm | IP Logged 
Sunday, May 6th works fine for me!

@Teango, thank you! What happened to your lovely avatar? Perhaps it's just not showing up on my comp?
1 person has voted this message useful

Teango
Triglot
Winner TAC 2010 & 2012
United States
teango.wordpress.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5351 days ago

2210 posts - 3734 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Russian
Studies: Hawaiian, French, Toki Pona

Message 418 of 672
29 April 2012 at 4:45pm | IP Logged 
@Tecktight
I think you need to be a pro member to display your own avatar (although you can still see my twosome tripping the light fantastic on my profile page). I initially tried to renew my pro member payment several times but something went wrong with Paypal (this has happened every year so far), so I thought I'd save up the money for more tangoing in the meantime. :)

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5129 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 419 of 672
30 April 2012 at 11:23am | IP Logged 
Dear team members,

I feel we are being a great team, and I have had lots of support and encouragements from others, and try to do the same. It is however a fact of life, that a lot of people start out with lots of enthusiasm in January, and then either the interest fizzles, or life catches up with them in some way, and they are unable to contribute, giving their team mates any support, or keep up their own log. Traditionally 75% do not make it to the end.

Ideally I would have liked to have everyone in until the very end, but I see that there are people who have hardly participated, and who obviously do not get anything from being on the team, nor contribute with much.

I do not want to be the one to exclude anyone, so I suggest the following: Let us all give an update in this thread as to where we stand, have we reached any goals, seen any progress, modified goals, changed languages - in short a status report. By doing so, we all know you are still with us. If there is anyone who has not given such a status report within June 1st ( a month from now) or who leaves a message saying that they do not really have the time to keep up with the TAC, I'll let Zenmonkey know which names he can delete from the team. I would also suggest that we all try to swipe by our team mates' logs now and then. For someone who is on the verge of falling out of the team, a little interest from the team mates might be what it takes to give them new motivation and get them studying again. And that is what the TAC is all about, right?

Looking forward to the status reports :-
2 persons have voted this message useful

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5129 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 

Message 420 of 672
30 April 2012 at 12:51pm | IP Logged 
STATUS REPORT SOLFRID CRISTIN APRIL 30TH 2012

FOCUS LANGUAGES

RUSSIAN

My Russian is finally starting to move. The previous 6WC got me working hard, the Tadoku challenge got me reading Russian and the week in Ukraina got me talking. All in all a good start for the year!

My Russian is still really bad, but I can communicate to a certain degree, and I have read my first Russian book – an Agatha Christie.

Out of that first book was born the idea of the Super Challenge. And now there are dozens of members on the forum who are ready to join me in the effort to really focus on a target language. I have really high hopes for Russian after this, and I must say that I do not think I would have gotten that far without being member of Team Sputnik. The inspiration I have had from our Skype sessions, and the warm nurturing atmosphere we have in the team have been amazing.

GERMAN

The Tadoku challenge really got me off the ground, and after 1000 pages in German, I felt I understood so much more. I have also taken some German classes at Berlitz, and the teacher claims my German is not as bad as I thought it was, so I am reasonably satisfied with my results here.

GREEK

Uhmm. I am considering removing that from the focus language list and over to the dabbling list this year. I have done a little over 2 hours, which is pitiful. I still want to learn Greek, but it may have to hold until next year.

UPKEEP LANGUAGES

Spanish and English just run along nicely by themselves, I am not really doing anything in particular, opportunities just present themselves. Italian and French is another matter. I am going to Paris day after tomorrow, and am hoping to be able to talk a little French there – even though my meetings will be in English. My Italian has me seriously worried. I put it on the back burner for the Tadoku challenge last time, since I wanted to focus on my German, but I was shocked to see how slow I was reading Italian.   My youngest daughter wants me to take her to Italy for her 13-years trip, and I may agree to that, provided I can find some tickets that are not too expensive.

DABBLING LAGUAGES

Actually I have been a fairly good girl and not dabbled too much this year. I have a total of about 17 hours dabbling, and that is not bad. The last couple of days I have been dabbling with Mandarin, and once the 6WC is over, I may look a bit more into that.

CHALLENGES COMING UP

1.     I will (of course) enter the Super Challenge on May ist – in just a few hours – yeah! With Russian
2.     I will also enter in the 6WC also starting on May Ist – looking forward to seeing whether we can all do as well as last time - Russian for that as well
3.     I will enter the Tadoku challenge on June 1st – with Russian, Italian and possibly German as well.

So, good luck to everyone, I am looking forward to seeing where you all are!

Teango
Triglot
Winner TAC 2010 & 2012
United States
teango.wordpress.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5351 days ago

2210 posts - 3734 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Russian
Studies: Hawaiian, French, Toki Pona

Message 421 of 672
30 April 2012 at 1:01pm | IP Logged 
Here's a quick status report from Linguanaut Teango (it always sounds so weird to refer myself in the third person)...

So far I've put in just over 100 hours of study this year, nearly all of this in Russian. I've also watched well over 50 films and tv series episodes in Russian, spent 2 weeks living in Russia, and just about managed to scrape into the top 10 during the last 6 Week Challenge to boot.

It's a slow start of course but things have been VERY busy over the last few months, which I'll explain in more detail on my blog soon, as I have some exceptionally good news to share. ;)

I reckon my listening skills have risen from B1 to B2 in Russian over this period, which is fantastic, and my spoken level is a much more solid B1 now (this was probably around A2 at the start of the year).

I'll be focusing mainly on Irish over the coming months, both as part of the 6WC and Cristina's Super Challenge. However, I'm currently suffering from a nasty case of flu and bronchitis at the moment, so I'll probably be in bed over the next week or so. All the same, I'll try to do my best and put in some hours from 1st May.

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4502 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 422 of 672
30 April 2012 at 1:18pm | IP Logged 
STATUS REPORT TARVOS

Focus languages:

RU: I've gone from A1 to a very solid A2 now. My reading and writing has substantially improved to the point that I can write short VK updates in Russian and understand a lot of what is written and said. I don't know about my speaking and listening, but I have the feeling this is going well (I received consistent compliments for my efforts in Russian class because of my wide vocabulary and correct use of expressions). Busuu says it's B1 but I do not believe Busuu. In any case, I only really properly started learning Russian from the beginning of this year and I've made huge strides since then. I am very satisfied with how far I've come in six months and I have the feeling that a solid B1 at the end of the year is not a ridiculous prospect whatsoever. Daily toil is ensuring I am going through my Russian materials like a hero.

FR: French was not a focus language from day 1, but in March/April I decided that after I'm done with university studies I want to work abroad maybe and use my languages for some capacity in business. French is probably the language I have the most experience with when it comes to speaking (well, apart from English, but that's hardly a foreign language for me so I'm not considering that). I've decided to re-learn it. I am a solid B1 in French and I hope to get to B2/C1 ish in this language by the end of the year. I've always thought I should speak this language more fluently than I really do and though last year proved to me that there is a lot of French that has remained in my brain, it's scattered and unorganized. French is also a language where, as opposed to Russian, my daily progress is slow, not fast. It feels like it isn't getting much better despite me learning new words. I still am uncomfortable with most complex material in French and these are exactly the skills I would like to develop - great passive ability to read and listen in French. My listening in French is particularly atrocious and I don't know why that is. I do understand what is being said in class or in a controlled environment but as soon as I am not paying attention I can only hear that someone is speaking French, not what they are saying.

UPKEEP LANGUAGES

English and German fall under this category. I use English on a daily basis for pretty much everything ever so that's not a problem. My English is at a high level (probably an all-time high) and there are no problems. I do not struggle with German but I don't get a lot of occasion to use it, though I am probably going to Germany to see a friend this summer which will require my German to be activated. It's not bad, and no one ever has any trouble understanding me or vice versa in German (my passive German is very good) but really complex subjects are again out of the question (though I feel more comfortable in this language than in French). I would estimate my German as a solid intermediate language, probably B2 because it's definitely better than my French, although my German grammar is pretty lacking in general.

Latin is the other language I've learned but since I never use that for anything it's pretty much done and dusted. I also don't have any use for my Latin.

DABBLING

I have not extensively dabbled in anything, just read about pet projects of mine with regards to languages I might study post-Russian that will enter the rotation scheme. I want to be sure Russian and French are at a much higher level before I seriously attempt more languages though. I will probably acquire new material soon that I won't use for now. There are a bunch of languages that have piqued my interest and are certainly on the to do list, and the most prominent candidates right now are Hebrew, Icelandic, Portuguese and Swedish. Hebrew will probably come first, intuitively Hebrew feels like the language of these I should learn first. I have no experience with the alphabet, though, I only know some polite phrases in Hebrew that I learned through an ex-girlfriend who was Jewish.

Challenges

- 6WC with French
- SC with Russian
- Tadoku with... I don't know. German perhaps?

aloysius
Triglot
Winner TAC 2010 & 2012
SwedenRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6035 days ago

226 posts - 291 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English, German
Studies: French, Greek, Italian, Russian

Message 423 of 672
30 April 2012 at 7:38pm | IP Logged 
Dear Fellow Cosmonauts!

I'm glad to see you're hanging in and moving this exciting space project towards its
final success. April was a cruel month for me, languagewise, but now I'm back with new
energy ready to join the 6wc (this time with Russian) and possibly the SC as well, but
I need to think this through a bit first.

Of course I'll provide the weekly charts this time as well. And hopefully we'll talk on
Skype next Sunday!

And there will be a status report, once I've collected my chaotic notes into something
comprehensible.

//aloysius

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5129 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 

Message 424 of 672
30 April 2012 at 8:02pm | IP Logged 
aloysius wrote:

Of course I'll provide the weekly charts this time as well. And hopefully we'll talk on
Skype next Sunday!

//aloysius

YES!!!

And here I thought I would have to batter my eyelashes seductively to persuade you:-)

Look forward to your awesome charts! I count them as one of the major factors for us doing so well last time! So then 7 of us are in?

I am counting down...

This discussion contains 672 messages over 84 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version