672 messages over 84 pages: << Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 55 ... 83 84 Next >>
tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4501 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 433 of 672
06 May 2012 at 6:09pm | IP Logged 
Tolkien was a philologist - he really loves using old and quaint expressions and use of language (next to making up his own). It's sometimes forgotten, but Tolkien himself was quite a proficient polyglot and linguist in his time. So proficient, in fact, that there's a famous anecdote about the Dutch translation of the Hobbit (the first language any of Tolkien's books were translated into).

The story goes that upon reading that his Dutch editor wanted to change the Dutch name for Hobbits to "Hobbels", he was furious. He understood enough Dutch to know what the implication of this translation was, and wrote to the editor to say that that change was off. If you google for it a bit, you'll find out what was said :)
2 persons have voted this message useful

Tecktight
Diglot
Winner TAC 2012
United States
Joined 4770 days ago

227 posts - 327 votes 
Speaks: English*, Serbian
Studies: German, Russian, Estonian

Message 434 of 672
06 May 2012 at 6:44pm | IP Logged 
Диалоги –Урок 4

1. Где вы учитесь?
-Где вы учитесь?
-В Московском университете.
-Вот как?! А на каком курсе?
-На третьем.
-Какая у вас специальность?
-Журналистика.
-Какая интересная специадьность!
-Да, я тоже так думаю.

2. Вы учитесь или работаете?
-Вы учитесь или работаете?
-Я раньше работала. А теперь учусь.
-В университете?
-Нет, в Институте иностранных языков.
-А какие языки вы знаете?
-Я хорошо говорю по-английски. Я также неиножко читаю и понимаю
по-французски.
-Молодец! Я только немнохко говорю по-рксски.

3. Я изучаю русскмй язык
-Линда где ты учишься в Америке?
-В Иллинойском государственном университете.
-Какая у тебя специальность?
-Ещё не знаю. Может быть, русский язык и литература.
-А что ты изучаешь здесь в России?
-Я изучаю русский язык.
-Но, ты уже хорошо говоришь по-русски!
-Нет, что ты! Русский язык очень трудный!

4. Я изучаю английский язык
-Валера! Что ты читаешь?
-Занимаюсь. Мы читаем статью в американском журнале.
-Ты хорошо читаешь по-английски. Молодец!
-Не очень хорошо. Я сейчас изучаю английский язык.
-Где? На филологическом факультете?
-Да. На кафедре английского языка.
-Там хорошие преподаватели?
-Преподаватели хорошие, но эта мтатья довольно скучная.

5. Вы учитесь в Америке?
-Вы в Америке учитесь?
-Я не понял. Как вы сказали?
-Вы учитесь в Америке?
-В Америке? Да, в Джорджтаунском университете.
-А что вы там изучаете?
-Русский язык, политологию, а также европейскую историю. Я люблю русскиий язык. Ой, у меня сейчас
лекция. До свидания!
-До свидания! Я ваш сосед. Живу здесь, в общежитии.

1 person has voted this message useful

drsarvo
Diglot
Mexico
Joined 4506 days ago

143 posts - 149 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, English
Studies: Russian

Message 435 of 672
07 May 2012 at 5:55pm | IP Logged 
Hello everyone:
Sorry I couldn't make it yesterday to the skype session, but somehow the call never came in.
I have just completed my first Russian movie: Russian Ark. A real feast, very beautiful and unusual film.

aloysius
Triglot
Winner TAC 2010 & 2012
SwedenRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6034 days ago

226 posts - 291 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English, German
Studies: French, Greek, Italian, Russian

Message 436 of 672
09 May 2012 at 11:23pm | IP Logged 
6WC Week 1

Sorry, I'm a bit late with this but I have a lot of busy evenings this week.

Some of you are doing soooo well. That's really inspiring. I need to improve. I will.

//aloysius

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5128 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 437 of 672
10 May 2012 at 10:44pm | IP Logged 
Solfrid Cristin wrote:
Dear team members,

I feel we are being a great team, and I have had lots of support and encouragements from others, and try to do the same. It is however a fact of life, that a lot of people start out with lots of enthusiasm in January, and then either the interest fizzles, or life catches up with them in some way, and they are unable to contribute, giving their team mates any support, or keep up their own log. Traditionally 75% do not make it to the end.

Ideally I would have liked to have everyone in until the very end, but I see that there are people who have hardly participated, and who obviously do not get anything from being on the team, nor contribute with much.

I do not want to be the one to exclude anyone, so I suggest the following: Let us all give an update in this thread as to where we stand, have we reached any goals, seen any progress, modified goals, changed languages - in short a status report. By doing so, we all know you are still with us. If there is anyone who has not given such a status report within June 1st ( a month from now) or who leaves a message saying that they do not really have the time to keep up with the TAC, I'll let Zenmonkey know which names he can delete from the team. I would also suggest that we all try to swipe by our team mates' logs now and then. For someone who is on the verge of falling out of the team, a little interest from the team mates might be what it takes to give them new motivation and get them studying again. And that is what the TAC is all about, right?

Looking forward to the status reports :-

So, we have had status reports from Teango, Tarvos, Aloysius, Fabriciocarrero, Woodsei, Tecktight and myself, which is not bad, that means that we are at least 8-9 who are still in, since at least two more have been active at Skype sessions and in the 6WC. Now the rest of you have the time to the first of June to make the update and say that you are still inn, so there is no stress, but it would be nice to know. Drsarvo, Mrwarper, everyone else - earth to cosmonauts! Report to the mother ship!

A big thanks to Tecktight for being the driving force, muse and technical genius behind our Skype sessions. Do you know what this team has that not other team has? We have Tecktight - which makes a lot of difference, since talking to eachother through Skype make us know eachother better.

In case any of you have not read it yet, I would also like to point out that Teango has not only got his dream job, but he is also getting married now! Go in his log for more details.

Edited by Solfrid Cristin on 10 May 2012 at 10:45pm

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4501 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 438 of 672
10 May 2012 at 11:18pm | IP Logged 
Makes me wonder if I can find Star Wars in Russian somewhere...

fabriciocarraro
Hexaglot
Winner TAC 2012
Brazil
russoparabrasileirosRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4509 days ago

989 posts - 1454 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, EnglishB2, Italian, Spanish, Russian, French
Studies: Dutch, German, Japanese

Message 439 of 672
10 May 2012 at 11:59pm | IP Logged 
What do you guys think about next Sunday, 20/05? =)

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4501 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 

Message 440 of 672
15 May 2012 at 2:42pm | IP Logged 
I think we should, yeah! I'm up for anything, anytime, anywhere anyhow.

This discussion contains 672 messages over 84 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version