Norway
Joined 5128 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 537 of 672
07 July 2012 at 7:29am | IP Logged 
s0fist wrote:

So think what happens when the economic centers of Russia get flooded with even more capital, it makes the economic inequalities between M&SP and rest of Russia even bigger and makes M&SP even less accessible for the rest of Russia. And even insofar as M&SP are polities unto themself by now, they're far more dependent on the rest of

I think you are selling the Russians short here. I do not quite see why tourism would be an economic blessing everywhere else, and not in Russia. Most of the tourists in France go to Paris, but I do not see the French begging in the streets because of that.

Besides, would you even think of the trips around Russia they could offer? Trips to the beautiful countryside of Siberia, the lake Bakal, or Jekaterinburg. Russia does not exactly lack interesting places to see - it is just a matter of presenting them to the world.

I am not an economist, but I see no reason why opening up would not be of huge economic benefit to Russia. Having said that, I do of course respect every nation's right to make their own laws on this, but I think Russia would benefit greatly if they did open up their territory - even unilaterally. Not to mention what an enormous surge in students of Russian that would lead to :-)
1 person has voted this message useful

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5128 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 

Message 538 of 672
07 July 2012 at 9:08am | IP Logged 
You guys, on my previous team I always took a round when I posted a major update, and looked by the logs of my team mates. I did that just now, and I could not help notice, that there are not a lot of updates, nor visits from the other team mates. Is the summer being too much for us :-)

I love having you coming by and commenting whenever I make an update, I love reading your updates and I am sure the others feel the same way. It doesn't have to be much, just a little nudge. That is what the TAC is all about you know, to write in our logs, and give eachother encouragements. A log entry does not have to be all that long - I have not made an update for a full month, and had a lot to say, but it is better just popping into you own or someone else's log, than waiting to make the perfect update to end all updates :-)

Марк
Russian Federation
Joined 4850 days ago

2096 posts - 2972 votes 
Speaks: Russian*

Message 539 of 672
07 July 2012 at 9:29am | IP Logged 
Solfrid Cristin wrote:
s0fist wrote:

So think what happens when the economic centers of Russia get flooded with even more
capital, it makes the economic inequalities between M&SP and rest of Russia even bigger
and makes M&SP even less accessible for the rest of Russia. And even insofar as M&SP
are polities unto themself by now, they're far more dependent on the rest of

I think you are selling the Russians short here. I do not quite see why tourism would
be an economic blessing everywhere else, and not in Russia. Most of the tourists in
France go to Paris, but I do not see the French begging in the streets because of that.

Besides, would you even think of the trips around Russia they could offer? Trips to the
beautiful countryside of Siberia, the lake Bakal, or Jekaterinburg. Russia does not
exactly lack interesting places to see - it is just a matter of presenting them to the
world.

I am not an economist, but I see no reason why opening up would not be of huge economic
benefit to Russia. Having said that, I do of course respect every nation's right to
make their own laws on this, but I think Russia would benefit greatly if they did open
up their territory - even unilaterally. Not to mention what an enormous surge in
students of Russian that would lead to :-)

I did not understand the softist's argument either. I think the problem here is that we
do not have good tourist industry, the service is often bad and the prices are high.
We are loosing internal tourists because of that too. In order to develope, the tourist
sphere needs state investment and support.

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5128 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 

Message 540 of 672
07 July 2012 at 9:52am | IP Logged 
Марк wrote:
Solfrid Cristin wrote:
s0fist wrote:

So think what happens when the economic centers of Russia get flooded with even more
capital, it makes the economic inequalities between M&SP and rest of Russia even bigger
and makes M&SP even less accessible for the rest of Russia. And even insofar as M&SP
are polities unto themself by now, they're far more dependent on the rest of

I think you are selling the Russians short here. I do not quite see why tourism would
be an economic blessing everywhere else, and not in Russia. Most of the tourists in
France go to Paris, but I do not see the French begging in the streets because of that.

Besides, would you even think of the trips around Russia they could offer? Trips to the
beautiful countryside of Siberia, the lake Bakal, or Jekaterinburg. Russia does not
exactly lack interesting places to see - it is just a matter of presenting them to the
world.

I am not an economist, but I see no reason why opening up would not be of huge economic
benefit to Russia. Having said that, I do of course respect every nation's right to
make their own laws on this, but I think Russia would benefit greatly if they did open
up their territory - even unilaterally. Not to mention what an enormous surge in
students of Russian that would lead to :-)

I did not understand the softist's argument either. I think the problem here is that we
do not have good tourist industry, the service is often bad and the prices are high.
We are loosing internal tourists because of that too. In order to develope, the tourist
sphere needs state investment and support.

I could not agree with you more!

mrwarper
Diglot
Winner TAC 2012
Spain
forum_posts.asp?TID=Registered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5020 days ago

1493 posts - 2500 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, EnglishC2
Studies: German, Russian, Japanese

Message 541 of 672
07 July 2012 at 5:06pm | IP Logged 
Sorry everyone but I've been off not HTLAL but off the internet itself (!!) for one week. That means I'll be absent (when am I not?) tomorrow for the Skype session as well because I have too much to catch up with, but if everything goes according to plan (like something ever does) this should be the last Sunday I'll be missing.

Also...
Solfrid Cristin wrote:
You guys, on my previous team I always took a round when I posted a major update, and looked by the logs of my team mates...
I could not help notice, that there are not a lot of updates, nor visits from the other team mates...
A log entry does not have to be all that long...
it is better just popping into you own or someone else's log, than waiting to make the perfect update to end all updates :-)

Wholeheartedly agreed, but unless it's a purely technical thing I just feel out of place commenting on people's logs when I drop by too long after they write. It already took me a while to discover that humans have their 'timeouts' of sorts for asynchronous communication as well -- I seem to remember that once when I phoned a friend a whole year after I said I'd do it and she was like 'oh I just gave up expecting you'd call someday' -- I'm afraid it'll take me ages to learn when people stop expecting or welcoming comments :)

Edited by mrwarper on 07 July 2012 at 5:21pm

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4501 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 542 of 672
07 July 2012 at 5:37pm | IP Logged 
Here's how you learn not to be afraid:

Just. Post.

Worry about the response later. X)

s0fist
Diglot
United States
Joined 4840 days ago

260 posts - 445 votes 
Speaks: Russian*, English
Studies: Sign Language, German, Spanish, French

Message 543 of 672
10 July 2012 at 3:44am | IP Logged 
I was just pointing out that tourism like everything else is subjecto basic supply/demand curves, if you suddenly increase demand and keep supply constant prices go up, if prices go other people lose the opportunity to buy that product.

Solfrid Cristin wrote:

I do not quite see why tourism would be an economic blessing everywhere else, and not in Russia.

Tourism might be a "blessing" everywhere else, but that doesn't mean it's a blessing to everyone. If tomorrow hotel prices double in Oslo because lots of tourists decide to come visit, that might benefit hotel industry but doesn't necessarily benefit someone living in a village nearby who suddenly can't visit their dying friends in Oslo. If situation persists, that might even raise rents for Oslo residents or have other ramifications.

You also have to keep in mind that not every country is like your typical EU country. And especially not every country is as egalitarian as Norway/Sweden/Denmark. THere's a few TED videos you can watch about economic inequalities and disparities within countries or just google for that information. Not to mention economic differences between a european country and its tourists and Russia's current economic state (outside Moscow).

And to emphasize again, this is not an argument that more tourism or new visa policies would be necessarily bad for Russia. This is just a suggestion that the issues are not as simple as 'more tourists is always good everywhere for everyone'.

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5128 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 

Message 544 of 672
10 July 2012 at 5:15am | IP Logged 
@sOfist I see your point, but unlike you I think the Russians would rise to the occasion. Tourism can be
good or bad according to how it is managed. With a greater demand they would either have to build more
hotels, encourage privates to rent out rooms, or channel more tourists to the rest of the country by offering
interesting, attractive tours, and market those properly. Either way it would provide more jobs and revenues,
not only to the rich but to construction workers, home owners, tour guides, bus drivers etc. And of course to
souvenir sellers, restaurants, existing hotels etc. I am in St. Petersburg now in a huge hotel at the outskirts
of St. Petersburg which is half empty in the middle of the tourist season. If they had trained more of their
personnel in English and offered excursions in English, not just in Russian, and there were more demand,
they could have increased their revenues considerably. There would also have been room to build at least
10 more hotels just here in this area.

This discussion contains 672 messages over 84 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version