Diglot
United States
Joined 6180 days ago

110 posts - 115 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Latin, Russian

Message 33 of 672
27 December 2011 at 4:27am | IP Logged 
I had decided about a week ago to devote my language studies Russian. I haven't been
on these forums much in quite a while. As inspiration, I decided to come on to read
what others are doing, and maybe pick up some tips.

I would like to officially join the TAC, Team Sputnik (that sounds like the name the
group is going to take).

I started Russian back in March of 2010. I got of to a good start then fizzled. I
have several friends who either speak Russian natively, or speak Ukrainian, and Russian
is their second language.

I have all four assimil russian books (1951, 1971, 1995, 2008) all for French speakers.
I also have the Princeton Russian course. I made it to about lesson 55 in the
Princeton Russian course and to about lesson 25 of the 1995 Assimil Russian.

At some point in 2010 my interests divided. I at one point or another picked up Greek,
Vietnamese, Thai, Hebrew, Korean, Indonesian. I have also been learning Latin off and
on for probably 16 years. It was the first language I started at 12.

My main goals for the year are to seriously study Russian, to be able to speak, write,
listen & read fluently (i.e. at least a C1 level). I also want to finally consolidate
my knowledge of Latin and get to a level where I can read most anything with little
help of a dictionary.

I will start my own log soon. I love the idea of meeting on skype to practice,
encourage, etc. I will probably have some fiddling to do as the last time I used skype
was a few years ago, and I only have Linux machines.
1 person has voted this message useful

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5128 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 34 of 672
27 December 2011 at 12:44pm | IP Logged 
Welcome to the team, senor smile. Please remember to also announce your entry in the Offical 2012 TAC thread, so that ellasevia will know that you are in. Which level will you say that your are at now in Russian, and will you be studying/keeping upt any of your other languages besides Russian?

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5128 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 35 of 672
27 December 2011 at 4:28pm | IP Logged 
With the last two entrants - senor smile and possibly Woodsei, who has also asked to join, we will be 10 in the group, and it looks like it will be a very good team. I think there is a general agreement that we should have larger teams this year, but we have not discussed just how large.

Since statistically 3/4ths of the groups do not make it to the end of the year, and not all participants are as active, I guess anywhere between 8 and 16 would be large enough, but as I believe this particular group will have a better chance of getting to the end more or less intact, we should perhaps discuss where we would like the limit to be for us.

We want to be able to give input and encouragements to all our team mates, and I am very interested in hearing what the rest of you think. Do we stop at 10, do we say 12, should we go to 16 if there is a demand, or even beyond?

There may not be a demand, and hence no need to decide, but I would just rather discuss it before we have more requests than we can handle. At which point should we suggest the creation of a new Russian team or that people join another Slavic team?

Edited by Solfrid Cristin on 27 December 2011 at 4:30pm

senor_smile
Diglot
United States
Joined 6180 days ago

110 posts - 115 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Latin, Russian

Message 36 of 672
27 December 2011 at 6:08pm | IP Logged 
Solfrid Cristin wrote:
Welcome to the team, senor smile. Please remember to also
announce your entry in the Offical 2012 TAC thread, so that ellasevia will know that
you are in. Which level will you say that your are at now in Russian, and will you be
studying/keeping upt any of your other languages besides Russian?

OK, I will post over there as well.

I would say I'm still stuck at A1; i.e. I know a few hundred words for sure, maybe
more, but many grammatical constructions and common phrases escape me, despite having
heard them before. I mostly can't understand a native speaker, even when he/she is
saying something that contains 100% material that I've learned and could reproduce
myself. My friends typically speak a lot slower with me, and so I'm able to
understand quite a bit with them.

I am going to be doing Latin along side Russian this year. If I make extremely good
progress in Latin, I may change it out for Ukrainian. I don't have any problems
learning two closely related languages, and I have many friends who are native
Ukrainians. In fact, I know far fewer native Russian speakers.

I do also plan to keep up my Spanish by listening/watching news and continuing to
speak with my best friend. This is not even an effort any more. I will also be at
least passively maintaining French, as all of my Assimil books are in French. I do
intend to improve my French to an active advanced level at some point. Maybe a 2013
goal!

Woodsei
Bilingual Diglot
Winner TAC 2012
United States
justpaste.it/Woodsei
Joined 4591 days ago

614 posts - 782 votes 
Speaks: English*, Arabic (Egyptian)*
Studies: Russian, Japanese, Hungarian

Message 37 of 672
27 December 2011 at 10:44pm | IP Logged 
Hi Team Sputnik!

Thanks, Christina, for the kind and encouraging words. I'm glad I'll be able to join the team and TAC 2012 this
year. My first challenge ever and I'm already stoked :) I will be starting my own log hopefully within the week,
and I look forward to reading each others' logs, commenting, and having a great geeky language year :)

I'm Woodsei, live in the United States, and my New Year's resolution for languages, among others, is to
reach advanced fluency in Japanese, Russian, and possibly German and French. Thatt gives me two whole
years, so we'll see!

Good luck everyone on your language learning endeavors, and looking forwards to reading your logs.

Kind Regards,
May

Teango
Triglot
Winner TAC 2010 & 2012
United States
teango.wordpress.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5350 days ago

2210 posts - 3734 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Russian
Studies: Hawaiian, French, Toki Pona

Message 38 of 672
27 December 2011 at 11:27pm | IP Logged 
A big "hi" to senor_smile and Woodsei! Welcome to the gang, looking forward to flying with you... :)

Edited by Teango on 27 December 2011 at 11:28pm

ruskivyetr
Diglot
United States
Joined 5275 days ago

769 posts - 962 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Spanish, Russian, Polish, Modern Hebrew

Message 39 of 672
28 December 2011 at 2:03am | IP Logged 
Guys I'm really excited about this year. So excited, in fact, that I'm going to begin my log RIGHT NOW! :D

Edit: I think the whole Skype conversation is a FANTASTIC idea :). The only problem is figuring out a time in
which all of our team members can be awake and available :P.

Edited by ruskivyetr on 28 December 2011 at 2:08am

Tecktight
Diglot
Winner TAC 2012
United States
Joined 4770 days ago

227 posts - 327 votes 
Speaks: English*, Serbian
Studies: German, Russian, Estonian

Message 40 of 672
28 December 2011 at 6:02am | IP Logged 
Welcome, May, ruskivyetr, and senor_smile! Glad to have you aboard!

In regards to the Skype conversation, I am volunteering myself for any time of day. Since I'm on holiday, I have
absolutely free reign over my time, and I don't sleep more than 4 hours a night usually, anyway. So, that said,
what do you all think of the date of Saturday, December 31st? Remember that this would merely be an
introductory Skype session. We can all speak in English. I hope that this first session will be but one of
many, so we can reserve it for introductions, pleasantries, and the like. We can also discuss the format of future
sessions. There's no need for any apprehension! We'd basically be saying "hi." Besides, aren't Skype sessions the
norm on HTAL, anyway?

At any rate, I have plugged in 5 different time-zones into this
generator
. Take a look at it, and please respond with the times you can make, if any.

Forgot to ask, in regards to my TAC language log...is a new post in the Language Logs section the norm, or
should I continue using my original log that I created some time ago?

Edited by Tecktight on 28 December 2011 at 6:05am

This discussion contains 672 messages over 84 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 46 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version