United States
teango.wordpress.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5350 days ago

2210 posts - 3734 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Russian
Studies: Hawaiian, French, Toki Pona

Message 25 of 672
23 December 2011 at 9:58pm | IP Logged 
A plate of бабушкины орешки (Grandma's nuts) and a warming boot of Glühwein (mulled wine) to all our present and new members!

I've just drawn up a quick list below to summarise our target languages for the challenge so far, with other possible language interests and linguistic fondant fancies included afterwards in brackets. Apologies for any silly mistakes in advance (just let me know and I'll try to correct them).

Tecktight: Russian, German, (French, Spanish).

Solfrid Cristin: Russian, German, Greek, (Icelandic, Italian, French, Spanish, Mandarin).

Teango: Russian, German, Irish, (French, Japanese, Hawaiian, Finnish).

Aloysius: Russian, French, Italian, (Latin, Icelandic).

M. Medialis: Russian, Japanese, (Mandarin, Portuguese, German, French).

Ruskivyetr: Russian, German, Spanish, (Ancient Greek, Norwegian, Indonesian).

Lynxrunner: Russian, Swedish, (Yoruba, Hindi, Mandarin, Haitian Creole).

Isabliss_27: Russian, German, (Swedish, Norwegian, Finnish).

And here are the running votes for our team name whilst I'm at it (where a couple of suggestions are favoured, I've simply allocated 0.5 to each...just in case you were wondering about the bizarre decimals ;) ):

Team Sputnik: 2.5 votes
Team Elbrus: 1.5 votes
Team Alix: 1 vote     

What do you think everyone? It looks like "Team Sputnik" is the overall favourite so far, and the name certainly does cry out something along the lines of "Hey world, we're studying Russian and have high hopes of going places this year!". :)

@Solfrid
Once we've all started up our own personal logs for the 2012 TAC, it would be great to have a list of links to them here in our team thread. Maybe you could edit these in later and add them to the first post?

@Tecktight
My train of thought was much the same as Solfrid (minus the part about having any strong second languages to grab hold of as a lifebuoy right now lol). Initially my heart leapt in excitement over the idea, shortly followed by a lurking sensation of latent humiliation originating somewhere in my knees that quickly clambered up into my stomach and shouted "Run away, run away!" to my faltering brain. The truth is I haven't spoken any German in well over a year, and any attempts at Russian conversation so far have been a bit...ahem...limited. However, I think it's a really great idea to meet up and practice our languages, and I look forward to speaking in a Russian accent like a Bond film extra if everything goes pear-shaped next year. :)

@LanguageSponge
Ты уверен, что мы не можем соблазнить тебя русским? (Sure we can't tempt you with Russian?) Only kidding! :) Best of luck in making waves in French and German next year, as well as passing your CELTA course through January-March (as chance would have it, I'll be in the same boat from the end of January too).

Edited by Teango on 24 December 2011 at 3:01am

1 person has voted this message useful

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5128 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 26 of 672
23 December 2011 at 11:41pm | IP Logged 
Teango wrote:

I've just drawn up a quick list below to summarise our target languages for the challenge so far, with other possible language interests and linguistic fondant fancies included afterwards in brackets. Apologies for any silly mistakes in advance (just let me know and I'll try to correct them).

Tecktight: Russian, German, (French, Spanish).

Solfrid Cristin: Russian, German, Greek, (Icelandic, Italian, French, Spanish, Mandarin).

Teango: Russian, German, Irish, (French, Japanese, Hawaiian, Finnish).

Aloysius: Russian, French, Italian, (Latin, Icelandic).

M. Medialis: Russian, Japanese, (Mandarin, Portuguese, German, French).

Ruskivyetr: Russian, German, Spanish, (Ancient Greek, Norwegian, Indonesian).

Lynxrunner: Russian, Swedish (Yoruba, Hindi, Mandarin, Haitian Creole).

Isabliss_27: Russian, German, (Swedish, Norwegian, Finnish).

And here are the running votes for our team name whilst I'm at it (where a couple of suggestions are favoured, I've simply allocated 0.5 to each...just in case you were wondering about the bizarre decimals ;) ):

Team Sputnik: 2.5 votes
Team Elbrus: 1.5 votes
Team Alix: 1 vote     

What do you think everyone? It looks like "Team Sputnik" is the overall favourite so far, and the name certainly does cry out something along the lines of "Hey world, we're studying Russian and have high hopes of going places this year!". :)

@Solfrid
Once we've all started up our own personal logs for the 2012 TAC, it would be great to have a list of links to them here in our team thread. Maybe you could edit these in later and add them to the first post?

@Tecktight
My train of thought was much the same as Solfrid (minus the part about having any strong second languages to grab hold of as a lifebuoy right now lol). Initially my heart leapt in excitement over the idea, shortly followed by a lurking sensation of latent humiliation originating somewhere in my knees that quickly clambered up into my stomach and shouted "Run away, run away!" to my faltering brain. The truth is I haven't spoken any German in well over a year, and any attempts at Russian conversation so far have been a bit...ahem...limited. However, I think it's a really great idea to meet up and practice our languages, and I look forward to speaking in a Russian accent like a Bond film extra if everything goes pear-shaped next year. :)

@LanguageSponge
Ты уверен, что мы не можем соблазнить тебя русским? (Sure we can't tempt you with Russian?) Only kidding! :) Best of luck in making waves in French and German next year, as well as passing your CELTA course through January-March (as chance would have it, I'll be in the same boat from the end of January too).

When you put our languages like this we look like quite an impressive lot, don't we.

I think we should hold that thought and go for team Sputnik, It has a nice humble ring to it :-)

I'll try to add the logs once we have started them - I have no clue how to do it right now, but I am sure it is quite simple, and there are so may computer literate people here who can help me.

And I do not think you have to worry about the Russian conversation. I am the one who will sit there repeating: "My name is Cristina, I am Norwegian, Nice to meet you" - every time anybody expects me to say something in Russian.

And LanguageSponge: We have become quite a large team, but I am sure we could fit you in if you were to change your mind :-)

Isabliss_27
Diglot
Groupie
Brazil
Joined 4539 days ago

68 posts - 74 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, English
Studies: German, Russian, Latin, French

Message 27 of 672
24 December 2011 at 4:02am | IP Logged 
For the team name, I vote for Sputnik. (Although Elbrus sounds really nice too ^^)

I can't wait for the skype conversation, it will be awesome. :D

LanguageSponge
Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 5560 days ago

1197 posts - 1487 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, French
Studies: Welsh, Russian, Japanese, Slovenian, Greek, Italian

Message 28 of 672
24 December 2011 at 7:38am | IP Logged 
Teango wrote:
Ты уверен, что мы не можем соблазнить тебя русским?

Да, я совсем уверен, что вы можете меня созблазнить, но в этом есть проблема!
Yes, I am very sure you could tempt me, but that's exactly the problem :D

Solfrid Cristin wrote:
And LanguageSponge: We have become quite a large team, but I
am sure we could fit you in if you were to change your mind :-)

Спасибо большое, Solfrid. Вполне возможно, что я передумаю. Я вам дам знать. :) -
thanks very much, Solfrid; it is perfectly possible that I will change my mind. I will
let you know. :)

Jack

Edited for the horrible grammar mistake mentioned below.

Edited by LanguageSponge on 24 December 2011 at 8:36am

2 persons have voted this message useful

Марк
Russian Federation
Joined 4850 days ago

2096 posts - 2972 votes 
Speaks: Russian*

Message 29 of 672
24 December 2011 at 8:14am | IP Logged 
"Я вас даю знать"
Я вам дам знать.

LanguageSponge
Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 5560 days ago

1197 posts - 1487 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, French
Studies: Welsh, Russian, Japanese, Slovenian, Greek, Italian

Message 30 of 672
24 December 2011 at 8:35am | IP Logged 
Марк wrote:
"Я вас даю знать"
Я вам дам знать.

See, at the beginning of this year I'd never have made a glaring mistake like that.
Thanks, Марк.

Jack

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5128 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 

Message 31 of 672
26 December 2011 at 2:25am | IP Logged 
Teango wrote:
And Solfrid...hope Julenissen brings you that Mandarin course. ;)

Funnily enough he did - together with a Ukrainian course and two Icelandic courses. What a good little Santa :-)
2 persons have voted this message useful

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5128 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 

Message 32 of 672
26 December 2011 at 4:51pm | IP Logged 
Hi guys, I have now started my 2012 log - and I actually managed to link to it in the first post, YEAH!!!

I now know that I'll be able to link to your logs too, as soon as they are up and running.

Ladies and gentlemen: Let the 2012 challenge begin!

This discussion contains 672 messages over 84 pages: << Prev 1 2 35 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version