United States
justpaste.it/Woodsei
Joined 4591 days ago

614 posts - 782 votes 
Speaks: English*, Arabic (Egyptian)*
Studies: Russian, Japanese, Hungarian

Message 41 of 672
28 December 2011 at 6:25am | IP Logged 
Thanks, Techtight! Glad to have you as a team member along with everyone else!

Skype conversations sound fantastic. I'm off for the holidays, too, and don't sleep all that much, but I'll take a
look at the time zones, though, because my schedule nowadays is somewhat erratic, moving homes and all.
But I'm definitely in for the introductory session. That also means I have to up my game in Russian in order to
make the most out of Skype. I'm currently outlining my study plans for the year, and will post my log soon.

Techtight, in regards to your question, I think I read elsewhere on the forum that you can do either - start a
new one or continue using the old one, but change the title. I'm not 100% sure, though, since I'm new here,
so take my advice with ample salt :) I guess a veteran member of the forum will likely give you a more
accurate answer. Good luck with your language endeavors!
1 person has voted this message useful

Teango
Triglot
Winner TAC 2010 & 2012
United States
teango.wordpress.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5350 days ago

2210 posts - 3734 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Russian
Studies: Hawaiian, French, Toki Pona

Message 42 of 672
28 December 2011 at 11:14am | IP Logged 
Tecktight wrote:
Forgot to ask, in regards to my TAC language log...is a new post in the Language Logs section the norm, or should I continue using my original log that I created some time ago?

Either approach is fine - it's all a matter of personal preference really. I always like to start a new challenge with a new log myself, mainly so readers don't have to wade through too many posts, but also to group my language goals by year for easy future reference.

Edited by Teango on 28 December 2011 at 11:27am

aloysius
Triglot
Winner TAC 2010 & 2012
SwedenRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6034 days ago

226 posts - 291 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English, German
Studies: French, Greek, Italian, Russian

Message 43 of 672
28 December 2011 at 1:23pm | IP Logged 
Provided our train is back in service after the Scandinavian winter storm, I'm leaving
today to celebrate New Year's Eve in the countryside. I don't know what my schedule will
be and whether I will have proper Internet connection, but if I can't join you on Skype
this time there will soon be another chance for that.

Regarding team size I guess we're approaching some sort of upper bound, but maybe we can
squeeze in a couple more. And to those who have joined us lately: Welcome to Team
Sputnik! It's great to have you here!

/aloysius

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5128 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 44 of 672
28 December 2011 at 3:43pm | IP Logged 
Thank you for providing the great time planner!

Given that it is New Year's Eve we are talking about, I'll be available from 07.00 til 17.00 (starting point) but not after 18.00, because we have been invited to a party in the evening, and I'll need to leave by 18.30.

Looking at the different time zones, I would suggest that we try 17.00, as that is feasable for everyone (allthough a bit early for the Californians). This would then be at 17.00 for Sweden and Norway, 16.00 for UK, 14.00 for Brazil, 11.00 in New York and 08.00 in California.

For later dates, it should not be a problem for me to do it later, as I do not go out that much in the evening, but this particular date is a bit special. (Date as in a fixed point in time, not a romantic encounter :-)

I must admit that this whole Skype business made me think about a film clip I saw when I was a kid. This was science fiction, and showing a woman who was getting her hair fixed, and putting on make up before making a phone call, because since this was in the future, she could actually see the person she was talking to on the telephone. Crazy idea. Right now I am regretting that I have just had the eye operation, so I am not allowed to put on any make up for the moment. Not sure you are ready for what I look like on a regular day, without the nice tan and make up from the pictures from this summer :-)

Other than that, I am really looking forward to the session! I have no idea how this will be done, but I have managed to download Skype, and suppose someone knows how we actually get in touch with each other. I will also lock either my children and cats or myself into the basement, so that the sound of them trying to kill eachother will not be too much of an interference.

I am quite happy to speak English, Spanish and French and could do German and Italian if I had to ( a bit rusty on the last ones) but as far as Russian goes, I doubt that I could do much more than listen and nod, and possibly say a couple of sentences.

Making an introduction of ourselves sounds like a good idea, and not too scary as a start. I think the whole idea is brilliant, and will probably mean a lot for our team spirit, and our chances to get through the whole year. The fact that we have a nice mix of experienced TACers, and eager newcomers is also good. Nice balance.

I am rambling aren't I? Not nervous at all about the Skype session. Shutting up now.:-)

Edited by Solfrid Cristin on 28 December 2011 at 4:08pm

Isabliss_27
Diglot
Groupie
Brazil
Joined 4539 days ago

68 posts - 74 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, English
Studies: German, Russian, Latin, French

Message 45 of 672
28 December 2011 at 4:30pm | IP Logged 
14.00 is perfectly fine. I'll travel to the countryside, but I've been told the Internet conexion is OK there. Let's hope so :)

PS: Nice to see the Team growing up! :D

Woodsei
Bilingual Diglot
Winner TAC 2012
United States
justpaste.it/Woodsei
Joined 4591 days ago

614 posts - 782 votes 
Speaks: English*, Arabic (Egyptian)*
Studies: Russian, Japanese, Hungarian

Message 46 of 672
28 December 2011 at 4:56pm | IP Logged 
Christina's time fix sound just right up my alley, as I'm on New York Eastern Time. But I'll be traveling on
vacation as well as moving, so on that particular date I might or might not be available. I will definitely notify
everyone in advance before the meeting. Also, please excuse my absolute lack of Russian, I'll work on
catching up :) If I can't keep the first Skype session, I'll definitely do my best to be there for the next one.
Cheers:)

Tecktight
Diglot
Winner TAC 2012
United States
Joined 4770 days ago

227 posts - 327 votes 
Speaks: English*, Serbian
Studies: German, Russian, Estonian

Message 47 of 672
28 December 2011 at 4:57pm | IP Logged 
Boy, I need a good knock around the head sometimes, because I totally forgot that December 31st is New Year's
Eve. I knew something about the date felt suspect..Bah, sorry, all! I still stand by my old comment, so the
17.00 time works for me.

We can push it for the next weekend, if it's better for everyone, as well. No rush. But, if we push through for the
31st anyway, it's alright if not everyone makes it. I'm sure we'll have more or fewer people from session to
session, so if you can't make this session, rest assured that you will be welcomed at the next with equal warmth!
:)

Also, the Skype session need not necessarily involve video. It can be voice-only. Whatever everyone is most
comfortable with. I, too, am looking forward to it immensely! I'm so excited to meet all you intelligent folks!

I'm going to go create my new TAC log now, which I hope to transform from the bare-bones which it will look
like in a few moments to something meaty that screams dedication.

Ellsworth
United States
Joined 4751 days ago

345 posts - 528 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, Swedish, Finnish, Icelandic, Irish

Message 48 of 672
28 December 2011 at 5:31pm | IP Logged 
Is it too late for me to join? I was not aware that you could join multiple teams. I am
already on Team ɬ for Irish but I am planning on studying Russian this year as well.

This discussion contains 672 messages over 84 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 57 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version