Diglot
Mexico
Joined 4506 days ago

143 posts - 149 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, English
Studies: Russian

Message 233 of 672
04 February 2012 at 11:48pm | IP Logged 
I have just posted Марк the Tecktight name as the skype contact. I hope everything will go smoothly, but
new technology can be tricky :)
1 person has voted this message useful

aloysius
Triglot
Winner TAC 2010 & 2012
SwedenRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6034 days ago

226 posts - 291 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English, German
Studies: French, Greek, Italian, Russian

Message 234 of 672
05 February 2012 at 12:21pm | IP Logged 
I'll do my best to be available on Skype this afternoon. Please call me if I'm online.

/aloysius

jellyfish
Triglot
Groupie
Japan
Joined 4579 days ago

50 posts - 70 votes 
Speaks: English, German*, Japanese
Studies: Thai, Persian, Russian

Message 235 of 672
06 February 2012 at 5:31am | IP Logged 
I just stumbled upon these Russian exercises by the Auburn University, and while some of you might know about them already, I thought it'd be worth letting everyone know. Personally I find it quite tedious to do an exercise in a book, compare my answers with the correct ones hidden somewhere in the back of the book, then check what exactly I did wrong, repeat... especially since most resources I've looked at seem to be quite short on useful exercises anyway. So I was looking for something more convenient, and the Auburn website has lots of quizzes for lazy people like me; the type of test that tells you immediately when you've entered the wrong answer, lets you try again or shows you the correct answer if you really don't get it. I find those enormously helpful as drills and for evaluating my comprehension of a specific grammatical point.

(If anyone's got any other means of self-testing, please share!)

Edited by jellyfish on 06 February 2012 at 7:05am

mrwarper
Diglot
Winner TAC 2012
Spain
forum_posts.asp?TID=Registered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5020 days ago

1493 posts - 2500 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, EnglishC2
Studies: German, Russian, Japanese

Message 236 of 672
06 February 2012 at 7:25am | IP Logged 
Damn, my plan of waiting until someone dropped out hasn't worked. I was about to comment on the team bursting at the seams too, but Cristina made that joke already too. I guess there's nothing else I can do to convince you to let me in and see if the team finally explodes, right? :)

OK, seriously, this is the most extraordinarily enthusiastic (and enthusiasm-inducing, although it induces a fair amount of panic too :) TAC team I've "applied" for, so I'd be delighted to be admitted. OTOH I'm perfectly aware that this may well be the last straw that renders the team inoperative and makes it die of success, so I'll understand it if you tell me to go form my own team or simply go ahead in a solo adventure (which was the original plan anyway).

To economize posts, I'll tell you that I've finally started my log, which you can find here, and that I don't know if I'd take part in those Skype meetings (I love the concept and the idea of somehow meeting you for more real, but it is one of those panic-inducing things...). Skype? I've used my two accounts twice in n years, but nevertheless I'm almost completely free to do it (if I gather the courage) on weekends, and weekdays will be variable, but I'd say mostly OK from 5PM till 12 or something. Oh, and I'm in Spain so it must be between GMT and GMT +2 for me.

Well...
3 persons have voted this message useful

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5128 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian

Message 237 of 672
06 February 2012 at 10:39am | IP Logged 
mrwarper wrote:
Damn, my plan of waiting until someone dropped out hasn't worked. I was about to comment on the team bursting at the seams too, but Cristina made that joke already too. I guess there's nothing else I can do to convince you to let me in and see if the team finally explodes, right? :)

OK, seriously, this is the most extraordinarily enthusiastic (and enthusiasm-inducing, although it induces a fair amount of panic too :) TAC team I've "applied" for, so I'd be delighted to be admitted.

I don't know if I'd take part in those Skype meetings (I love the concept and the idea of somehow meeting you for more real, but it is one of those panic-inducing things

You know that flattery of the group will get you everywhere, and that I cannot say no to you anyhow, don't you :-).

You're in! Welcome as the absolutely last member of the team Sputnik! Make it worth it, by visiting all our logs and make wise and witty comments in them all.

I do not think you need to worry about our Skype sessions. They almost frightened me to death when I first heard of them, but so far they have been a lot of fun.

The first time, we just talked in English, and a little bit of German. The next time we did introductions in Russian, and had a little swipe over Italian, Spanish and German, the rest was in English. Yesterday we read out a few dialogues that Tecktight had been kind enough to type for us. Very basic stuff, and then we introduced ourselves in Russian (2 new people present) then 2 of us talked a little in French and the rest was in English.

At this point my main worry is that we will have no way of winning the TAC 2012 because everyone is already part of our team and we cannot vote for ourselves! On the other hand, the competition is just a tool; our main goal is to learn from eachother and get lots of useful help and encouragement, and with this team the prospects of that look extremely good! So let us repeat our team motto:

The sky is no longer the limit!!

Edited by Solfrid Cristin on 06 February 2012 at 11:29am

Teango
Triglot
Winner TAC 2010 & 2012
United States
teango.wordpress.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5350 days ago

2210 posts - 3734 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Russian
Studies: Hawaiian, French, Toki Pona

Message 238 of 672
06 February 2012 at 11:17am | IP Logged 
I think we have at least 18 members now! Like Cristina, I realise that the maths behind the current TAC voting system doesn't really lie in our favour this year. However, if just one of us (not alone several of us - just imagine!) manage to reach the ever elusive B2 in Russian by the end of 2012, I'll be popping the cork on a bottle of bubbly and leaping around to "Lord of the Dance" (in zero gravity of course ;) ), celebrating our amazing triumph. We CAN do this, we WILL do this!

Edited by Teango on 06 February 2012 at 11:17am

Tecktight
Diglot
Winner TAC 2012
United States
Joined 4770 days ago

227 posts - 327 votes 
Speaks: English*, Serbian
Studies: German, Russian, Estonian

Message 239 of 672
06 February 2012 at 1:03pm | IP Logged 
In that case, welcome to the team, mrwarper!!

We have indeed grown--in fact, we have more members than the USSR had itself! That said, anyone with
mysterious
marks on their foreheads will be removed. We cannot and will not collapse.

Kidding, kidding.

;)

Also, I'm going to type up the second set of dialogues and post here.

Edited by Tecktight on 06 February 2012 at 1:04pm

drsarvo
Diglot
Mexico
Joined 4506 days ago

143 posts - 149 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, English

Message 240 of 672
06 February 2012 at 5:18pm | IP Logged 
Mrwarper, welcome, I hope you will be a valuable member of our team.
As for yesterday's skype session, I think it was a great success, the main goal (the practice of Russian
conversation) was achieved, and it was very funny, too.
For future sessions I think we could go further and include texts in order to practice reading (those texts
could be included in this log a week before the session). I am sorry I could not include Mark. I hope
someone can invite a Russian friend for future sessions.

This discussion contains 672 messages over 84 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version