Japan
Joined 4636 days ago

1031 posts - 1571 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Japanese, Portuguese

Message 97 of 706
19 February 2013 at 12:34am | IP Logged 
Serpent wrote:
Not "some sentences". 10000. less if you do cloze deletion. not necessarily too good to be true :P

But see, Serpent, you have a super memory, so it's easy for you. :P
1 person has voted this message useful

kujichagulia
Japan
Joined 4636 days ago

1031 posts - 1571 votes 

Message 98 of 706
19 February 2013 at 12:38am | IP Logged 
Expugnator wrote:

It's a bit more complicated than that.

"MPB" does stand for Música Popular Brasileira, but it's not "pop music" the way we refer to in English. It's popular just in the sense that it's opposed to classical, but it's actually a slightest more elitist type of music. Bossa-nova, Tropícália movement they're part of the MPB metagenre. Caetano Veloso, Gilberto Gil, Vanessa da Matta, Marisa Monte are considered MPB artists even though their songs rather often go mainstream and are well-known; they just are not ordinarily "party music".

Sertanejo is also a metagenre originally related to caipira (or "hillbilly") music, that is, the music of simple people from the countryside in the southeast/center-west region (Minas Gerais, São Paulo, Goiás and surroundings). Then it went commercial, absorbed American country (or even American pop/pop-rock) and nowadays it has absorbed other popular genres like forró from the northeast and axé and arrocha from the state of Bahia. That is to say, they make songs that are essentially in the countryside's caipira rythm but they also make music in pop-rock, forró, axé and arrocha rythm. What makes this all "sertanejo" is more external than inherent to the music: it's the way singers dress, the slang/regionalisms they use; the use of "caipira" sound effects, turnouts instruments but all essentially according to pop music style. This is how and why Sertanejo corresponds to virtually every new song you'll hear in Brazil nowadays. It's both a trend and a fashion when it comes to music. Pity that it's been killing diversity; we'll just see how it will evolve.

Then we have samba that came up to be a reputed rythm. It usually has elaborate lyrics, like MPB music. It is composed and played in a distinguishable way, it's rythm, tempos. But then you can always make simplified samba music with more popularly appealing lyrics and call this "pagode" which is also one rythm you may hear a lot at the commercial radios with the highest audience rate.

Of course the picture is more complex and the boundaries aren't that strict, but overall that's how Brazilian music has been evolving lately.

Expugnator, this is the best explanation of the Brazilian music scene that I have ever seen so far. Thank you very much! I think this explanation is great for helping me really understand Brazilian music.

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6386 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 99 of 706
19 February 2013 at 4:35pm | IP Logged 
Oh, I don't. And I've not done 10000 sentences or even 1000. My card count is about 1500 for all languages (this includes the entire vocabulary of toki pona in both directions...)
Yes, thanks for the explanation!!! i'm focusing on European Portuguese so I don't know much about the Brazilian music scene.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4955 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, Norwegian, French, English, Italian, Papiamento
Studies: Mandarin, Georgian, Russian

Message 100 of 706
19 February 2013 at 4:48pm | IP Logged 
You're welcome kuji, there's much more than that, feel free to ask anything about Brazilian music as well as recommendations, I can give you suggestions about either local genres or international genres such as pop/rock, reggae etc. My undergraduate conclusion work was about the music industry so it's a topic that always calls up my attention.

kujichagulia
Japan
Joined 4636 days ago

1031 posts - 1571 votes 

Message 101 of 706
20 February 2013 at 12:33am | IP Logged 
Expugnator wrote:
You're welcome kuji, there's much more than that, feel free to ask anything about Brazilian music as well as recommendations, I can give you suggestions about either local genres or international genres such as pop/rock, reggae etc. My undergraduate conclusion work was about the music industry so it's a topic that always calls up my attention.

Thank you very much! I'm a big reggae fan, so any recommendations about reggae from Brazil would be great. I also like samba a lot, although I don't know if it is old-fashioned or not. Maybe some newer musical genres incorporate samba in some way?

Other than that... who is popular in Brazil right now? It could be from any genre.

kujichagulia
Japan
Joined 4636 days ago

1031 posts - 1571 votes 

Message 102 of 706
20 February 2013 at 12:50am | IP Logged 
Serpent wrote:
Oh, I don't. And I've not done 10000 sentences or even 1000. My card count is about 1500 for all languages (this includes the entire vocabulary of toki pona in both directions...)

Wow, only 1500 total? Amazing. Anki says I have 1962 cards total for Japanese and Portuguese, although some of them are cloze deletion made from the same notes as other cards, and some are for kanji characters.

I do believe that once a person gets a lot of cards in their Anki deck (in the high thousands), the grammar and the way the language works will become clearer... if they can make it through all the reviews.

By the way, the entire vocabulary of toki pona seems quite small. :o

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4955 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 

Message 103 of 706
20 February 2013 at 4:48pm | IP Logged 
kujichagulia wrote:
Thank you very much! I'm a big reggae fan, so any recommendations about reggae from Brazil would be great. I also like samba a lot, although I don't know if it is old-fashioned or not. Maybe some newer musical genres incorporate samba in some way?

I also like reggae a lot and we have all sorts of styles when it comes to reggae music.

More "roots" reggae: Adão Negro, Edson Gomes. Try "Samarina", "Perdido de Amor", Tribo de Jah
Somewhere in between: Maskavo - Anjo do Céu, Asas
Contemporary pop-like reggae: Chimarruts, Natiruts. Try "Do lado de cá", "Saber Voar", "Natiruts Reggae Power", "Sorri, sou rei", "Quero ser feliz também". Lyrics are particularly beaitful, meaningful but simple. They'll be great for your studies.

Samba is never old-fashioned =D. Only the first, early 1920's samba recordings sound dated because of the recordings, vinnil etc. Samba songs from the 60's and 70's became classics and sound like they have no age.

Alcione: "Não Deixe o Samba Morrer"
Beth Carvalho: "Água de Chuva no Mar", "Regra Três"
Paulinho da Viola: "Coração Leviano", "Foi um rio que passou em minha vida", "Ainda mais"
Jorge Aragão: "Coisinha do Pai", "Não sou mais disso"
Nelson Cavaquinho: "A flor e o espinho"

MPB singer-songwriters (such as Chico Buarque and Djvana) and Bossa-nova composers (like Tom Jobim and Vinícius de Moraes) also made good samba:

Chico Buarque: "Samba do Grande Amor", "Vai passar", "Cotidiano" (great lyrics)
Djavan: "Flor de Liz", "Fato consumado"
Tom Jobim: "Samba do avião"

Samba-rock developped in the 70's with Jorge Ben Jor and marginally with Sergio Mendes (who arguably managed to be more famous abroad):

Jorge Ben Jor: "O telefone tocou novamente", "País Tropical", "Por causa de você menina", "Mas que nada", "Taj Mahal" (which Rod Stewart plagiarized)

Lately it incorporated also rap elements:
Pedro Luís & A Parede: "Caio no suíngue"

Seu Jorge is much more recent but he's one of the artists being aired now:

Seu Jorge: "Cotidiano" (Chico Buarque's cover), "Carolina", "Alma de Guerreiro", "Burguesinha"

Since you like both samba and reggae, I'd like to introduce to a sub-genre of the music of Bahia, so-called samba-reggae. Its most well-known group is Olodum:

Olodum - "Protesto Olodum", "Vem meu amor", "Alegria geral", "Madagascar Olodum", "Rosa"
Timbalada also comes close: "Beija-flor", "Mimar Você", "Toneladas de desejo"
3 persons have voted this message useful

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4955 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 

Message 104 of 706
20 February 2013 at 5:02pm | IP Logged 
Now I'll try to say what's being aired now:

1. Commercial music has a close relationship with novelas, especially the main one that starts at around 9 o'clock. SO, many songs from its soundtrack made it to Top 20 easily:

Roberto Carlos - Esse cara sou eu
Seu Jorge - Alma de Guerreiro
Maria Rita - Me deixas louca
Mc Koringa - Dança Sensual

Now by genres:

Sertanejo:
Jorge & Mateus - "O que é que tem", "Enquanto houver rãzões", "Flor"
Victor & Léo - "Lágrimas", "Água de Oceano"
Paula Fernandas - "Eu sem você", "Mineirinha ferveu", "Sensações"
Luan Santana - "Te Vivo", "Sogrão Caprichou"

Funk carioca:
Naldo - "Exagerado", "Amor de chocolate", "Chantilly"
Mc Koringa: "Tamborzão tá rolando", "Envolvida", "Pra me provocar"
Mc Bola - "Ela é top"
Mc Federado & Os Leleks - "Passinho do volante" (last Carnival's hit - go figure)

Pagode (a poppish samba offspring)>
Sorriso Maroto - "Assim você mata o papai", "Quem tá solteiro nunca fica só"
Thiaguinho - "Buquê de Flores"
Revelação - "Tá escrito"
Turma do Pagode - "Camisa 10"

MPB
Marisa Monte - "Ainda bem"

That's it for now =D

4 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 706 messages over 89 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version