Japan
Joined 4635 days ago

1031 posts - 1571 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Japanese, Portuguese

Message 649 of 706
22 January 2015 at 1:31am | IP Logged 
Wow!

I did not expect the response I've received from everybody here. A lot of things to reply to... Just a moment...

iguanamon wrote:
Hmmm, how about one ear with a headphone in it? Go back and review the "Hidden Moments" chapter in Farber's book How to Learn Any Language...

Another option could also be becoming an early riser.

Crush wrote:
In addition to what iguanamon mentioned, it can be a good idea to prepare things that you CAN do in your spare time. Have a book around, have an audiobook or podcast on your phone/mp3 player, maybe start a small Anki deck and use AnkiDroid to review when waiting in line, keep a notepad around to jot down sentences you didn't know how to say or words you'd forgotten to look up later, etc...

Ah yes, the Hidden Moments chapter! That's a great book, by the way. The thing is, I do utilize my hidden moments when I'm away from home (I do Anki reviews during lunch breaks and while waiting in the lobby at the fitness center, for example), but I didn't think I would have to do them while at home as well.

I've always had this romantic notion of sitting down at a desk with some books and a dictionary or computer, and "getting my hands dirty" with some hardcore studying. I don't know... maybe I feel smart doing that or something. I'm not sure why I have that sort of ideal in my head, but I do, and the fact that I can't really do that is frustrating. But I think I have to change my ideal. Learning languages is not about sitting down at a desk and studying.   This is one of the hardest things I've had to get out of my head, and I've known this for years.

As for early rising... I tried that before, but what happens is that when I try to wake up early, the alarm wakes my wife up as well, and she becomes angry. So then I tried setting the alarm on my cell phone to vibrate, then sticking it into my pillow case. It worked to wake me up, but the mattress moved and the bed creaked when I got up, and that woke up my wife. And then if I was able to gently get up without waking her up and go to the living room, the light from the living room made its way to the bedroom and woke her up... let's just say it's a bad idea for me. :)

However, instead of early rising, I could probably do late falling or late go-to-bed-ing or whatever you want to call it. I could probably stay up another 30 minutes and go to bed at 10:30. The problem is that I'm concerned about not getting enough sleep. I've found that eight hours is a good number for me. I go to bed at 10:00 and wake up at 5:45 the next morning, so I don't even get eight hours usually.

Serpent wrote:

I'm a bit concerned that you say you feel tired no matter how much sleep you get, Kuji. Can it be some health issue, hopefully nothing too bad? Or maybe you just need to tweak your schedule. I remember that Prof Argüelles said he found 6 hours were enough for him, but only if he got them from 8pm to 2am. Food can also affect how alert you feel, of course.

Speaking of food, you can find recipes in Japanese and try them out? :)

I didn't mean to make you concerned, Serpent, but I didn't say I'm always tired. I'm just always tired after work. It's not a health issue; it's probably a work issue. I use a lot of energy at work, and I probably don't realize how tiring it can be physically. I thought that getting eight hours of sleep would help with that, and while I feel refreshed the rest of the day, I still get tired after work. So there's not much I can do about that.

Plus, I'm 36, and I'll be 37 in May. I'm old. I probably need to take afternoon naps like my grandfather did. :)

As for Japanese recipes, I cook using nothing but Japanese recipes. We have a collection of cookbooks that I use. That's one reason it takes me so long to cook; I'm trying to chop vegetables, measure ingredients, and look up unknown kanji at the same time. I've learned a lot of new words that way, and some recipes I've completely memorized, so that's helpful. But sometimes my wife will e-mail me a recipe from work, and I have to look up some new words.

kraemder wrote:

You're doomed. It's all over. No more learning.

hehe sorry couldn't resist. Maybe take a couple minutes between chores to sneak some studying in? Not
sure. Maybe skim a vocab list, do chores, quiz yourself after.. I don't know. I would rather not be single
but when it comes to studying it can't be beat. Except for work my time is my own.

I tell you this... if you are single, get as much language learning in as you can! Or get a wife like emk's. :)

Iversen wrote:

Get a dishwasher. That's half an hour earned (unless your wife and rabbit nick that half hour of your time for their own purposes). Clean the rabbit cage with a water hose - that's another half hour earned. I have some other timesaving ideas concering the rabbit, but I wouldn't dare to mention them here.

1e4e6 wrote:

I had a rabbit in the mid-1990's, and the cages were fairly rectangular and metal, it can
easily be washed with a hose and soap. But during the other time periods, why not use an
audio programme or audio news, or something that requires only audio with no visual, i.e.
radio? I still have the cassette players that are like the boombox, maybe use something
like that or the CD players that play ambiently instead of the headphone ones.

Cleaning the rabbit cage with a water hose would be handy... if the rabbit cage weren't in my living room! :)

And we do have a dishwasher, but I only use it once a week to save money on water and electricity. Yes, we are very frugal.

It's a good idea to listen to the radio or some audio program or a podcast while doing chores. I'll try doing that, but I already do some listening when I'm away from home. I worry about not having a diversified routine every day, but that is probably something I shouldn't worry about, considering my circumstances. Beggars can't be choosers.

daegga wrote:
What does you wife do while you do all her tasks for her (I bet even getting a rabbit was
her idea)? Let me guess: she learns languages.

Ha! It would be nice if she learned languages. Well, that's not completely fair. I suppose she does keep up with her English. She watches American dramas and talks to me in English all the time. But she did all of her formal learning for years before she met me.

I do most of the chores because my wife works longer than I do every day, has a bigger salary, and while my job is more physically exhausting, hers is more mentally exhausting (i.e. stressful), so I try to help out. Plus, she's busy at home, too. She's having a hard time trying to figure out what to wear for our friend's wedding on Sunday, and she's searching online stores a lot. She's also looking for great deals on airline tickets for our planned trip to Portugal in December, and how to best maximize our mileage plans (she's great with that).

And yes, the rabbit was her idea. Personally, I would have preferred a cat.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6385 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 650 of 706
22 January 2015 at 1:14pm | IP Logged 
kujichagulia wrote:
Ah yes, the Hidden Moments chapter! That's a great book, by the way. The thing is, I do utilize my hidden moments when I'm away from home (I do Anki reviews during lunch breaks and while waiting in the lobby at the fitness center, for example), but I didn't think I would have to do them while at home as well.

Ironically, if you make your lunch breaks more relaxing, you might be able to feel less tired on your way home (and use your commute more efficiently). Consider just listening to Brazilian music or reading Twitter, that kind of thing. I used to feel bad about the not so hardcore activities, but I've accepted that I need them to relax and avoid stress. It's just important to keep those activities in L2.

Quote:
I've always had this romantic notion of sitting down at a desk with some books and a dictionary or computer, and "getting my hands dirty" with some hardcore studying. I don't know... maybe I feel smart doing that or something. I'm not sure why I have that sort of ideal in my head, but I do, and the fact that I can't really do that is frustrating. But I think I have to change my ideal. Learning languages is not about sitting down at a desk and studying.   This is one of the hardest things I've had to get out of my head, and I've known this for years.
As for Japanese recipes, I cook using nothing but Japanese recipes. We have a collection of cookbooks that I use. That's one reason it takes me so long to cook; I'm trying to chop vegetables, measure ingredients, and look up unknown kanji at the same time. I've learned a lot of new words that way, and some recipes I've completely memorized, so that's helpful. But sometimes my wife will e-mail me a recipe from work, and I have to look up some new words.

Aw, I love how more and more things are so natural that you don't even bother to mention them. I bet those American movies have Japanese subtitles too. (or if your wife is insulted by the idea, you can use Portuguese subtitles)

Also, you don't need to give up on your ideals or follow them completely. That's so all-or-nothing :) Just trick your brain a bit and give it only as much as needed. For example, you can work through the recipe while sitting at the desk, maybe add some important words/expressions/kanji to SRS and then cook without getting distracted. (if you find new stuff to look up, underline it and look up later. same can apply to your reading during the commute)

Edited by Serpent on 22 January 2015 at 1:16pm

kujichagulia
Japan
Joined 4635 days ago

1031 posts - 1571 votes 

Message 651 of 706
23 January 2015 at 2:31am | IP Logged 
Serpent wrote:

Ironically, if you make your lunch breaks more relaxing, you might be able to feel less tired on your way home (and use your commute more efficiently). Consider just listening to Brazilian music or reading Twitter, that kind of thing. I used to feel bad about the not so hardcore activities, but I've accepted that I need them to relax and avoid stress. It's just important to keep those activities in L2.

Mmmm, that's a good suggestion, Serpent. I didn't think about that. Anki can be kind of hardcore and intensive. Perhaps doing it at work is not the best of ideas, especially if the idea is to save some energy for study on the commute home. Now that I think about it, there are probably some things I can do at work to save energy and relax.

Serpent wrote:

Aw, I love how more and more things are so natural that you don't even bother to mention them. I bet those American movies have Japanese subtitles too. (or if your wife is insulted by the idea, you can use Portuguese subtitles)

You know, I tend to forget about the things that I do do in Japanese because they're just a part of life for me, so I don't really think of it as "language time", but I suppose it is. I'm not really thinking, "Let me use Japanese recipes so that I can study Japanese." I'm thinking, "Let me use Japanese recipes so that I can eat delicious Japanese food/it's cheaper to get ingredients for Japanese food in Japan/etc." So it's really easy for me to forget that I'm getting Japanese practice because I'm not in a "study" mindset. It's just what I do; I mean, that's what people in Japan do, right? They cook with Japanese cookbooks. It makes me wonder what else I'm doing in Japanese that I'm not aware of.

When my wife watches her American dramas, sometimes she drags me to the couch with her to watch them, because for her, it's more fun with someone else. We always watch those dramas undubbed, but with Japanese subtitles. So I pick up a few words every now and then. I learned 皮肉 (hiniku - sarcasm) that way.

Too bad Japanese TV doesn't care about Portuguese. I have yet to find a program on Japanese TV that uses any kind of Portuguese, other than five minutes of news from Bandeirantes TV in Brazil on Saturday mornings, or the occasional travel show episode to Portugal.

Serpent wrote:
Also, you don't need to give up on your ideals or follow them completely. That's so all-or-nothing :) Just trick your brain a bit and give it only as much as needed. For example, you can work through the recipe while sitting at the desk, maybe add some important words/expressions/kanji to SRS and then cook without getting distracted. (if you find new stuff to look up, underline it and look up later. same can apply to your reading during the commute)

This is another mentality that I need to get rid of, this "all-or-nothing" mentality. I've always been like that. Life is so much more flexible than that. Thanks, Serpent!

kujichagulia
Japan
Joined 4635 days ago

1031 posts - 1571 votes 

Message 652 of 706
23 January 2015 at 2:58am | IP Logged 
Okay, here is another of my nighttime activity logs, from last night (Thursday). I highlighted language activities in dark blue to point out my attempts at using my time more efficiently.

5:15 PM - Arrive home; feed the rabbit
5:20 PM - Wife comes home unexpectedly early; we cook together (well, mainly her, because I had to stop a few times to make sure the rabbit didn't try to pee on the couch). During cooking, I have some bossa nova playing in the background.
6:00 PM - We eat dinner
6:25 PM - I finish eating, and I'm thinking, "Let me get started on the dishes so I can have some 'language time' later." But my wife says, "Why the rush? Let's have dessert, and we can start chores 20 minutes later." So we do. And while we have dessert, I relax and actively watch 20 minutes of the evening news. For 10 minutes I listen without looking at the TV, and I'm astonished at how much clearer words seem than when I'm looking at the TV screen.
6:45 PM - Begin chores. I used the dishwasher (yay!), washed and hung up laundry, helped my wife clean the rabbit cage, and prepared my lunch for the next day. I took time from chores occasionally because the rabbit wanted to play his favorite game; Chase or Be Chased. I also took a shower and enjoyed a hot bath during this time. The whole time, I alternated between Japanese and Portuguese radio - at least until my Android Walkman ran out of battery while I was in the bathtub. (The battery is very bad nowadays; I'm looking into getting a new device.)
9:00 PM - Yes, an hour for language time! But I get a chat invitation from a friend of mine who is now in Australia. She's coming to visit Osaka for a week and wants to get together with the old gang again. So for 40 minutes I'm chatting with her and the rest of the gang, having fun and deciding what to do when she gets here.
9:40 PM - I realize that I need to re-subscribe to some podcasts on my Walkman, because the podcast app became corrupted somehow and I had to reinstall it. So I hunt for some Japanese and Portuguese podcasts (Cafe Brasil is still active? I thought it was done) and add those for listening sometime. I had Brazilian radio on at this time.
10:00 PM - Bed. But before that, I looked at an old Japanese conversation I had written some time back and did some speaking practice for about five minutes.

Not bad. Quite different from my Monday schedule. As you can see, when all the chores were done, I had the possibility of one hour of "desk work" or intensive computer work, had my podcasts not been corrupted and my friend from Australia not contacted me. I think I panicked on Monday when I wrote my post. The fact is, I have a lot of time at home, but it doesn't come in a "neat package". It's not consistent; it's not "2 hours every day." Some days I have very little time, and some days I have a lot. I just need to be flexible and prepared to take advantage of time whenever I get it.

Edited by kujichagulia on 23 January 2015 at 2:59am

3 persons have voted this message useful

dampingwire
Bilingual Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4453 days ago

1185 posts - 1513 votes 
Speaks: English*, Italian*, French
Studies: Japanese

Message 653 of 706
26 January 2015 at 9:28pm | IP Logged 
kujichagulia wrote:

The whole time, I alternated between Japanese and Portuguese radio
- at least until my Android Walkman ran out of battery while I was in the
bathtub. (The battery is very bad nowadays; I'm looking into getting a new device.)

Might I suggest a waterproof device :-)

Seriously, I can definitely recommend the "hidden moments" idea. I do usually get some
time to do "Intensive" study each day (some of whihc then seems to disappear into HTLAL
:-)) but even so I find those "hidden moments" to be very useful. I can't remember the
last time I went to the supermarket without Japanese ringing in my ears, I listened to
Japanese while fixing the inner tube on my bike the other day and so on.

It's a shame that you get very little time to sit down and study "properly", but I find
that if I sit down and study like that for an hour a day I still complain that it was
"only" and hour a day and not two (or three ...). Overall I've come to the conclusion
that learning a language takes years and doing (say) five hours a day of studying won't
shorten the overall time it takes to become fluent, it'll probably just punctuate it
with a few periods of "burnout"!

kujichagulia
Japan
Joined 4635 days ago

1031 posts - 1571 votes 

Message 654 of 706
28 January 2015 at 5:14am | IP Logged 
@dampingwire - Thank you for the encouraging words.

Increasing the amount of time I sit down at a desk and do actual study would definitely lead to burnout in my case. Half the battle for me, at all times, is avoiding burnout. So it's probably a good thing that I don't have much "desk time". What I need to do is use my "hidden moments" more effectively, and I think a breakthrough will come.

You talked about how you don't even go to the supermarket without Japanese ringing in your ears. Other people have given their comments on using the bits of time they have throughout the day, and a theme appears. I don't need to be - and I shouldn't be - looking to increase the amount of time I study at a desk, but I certainly need to increase the amount of time I "live" my languages. I realize now that I'm woefully lacking in that department.

This morning I read an old post of Khatzumoto's on his AJATT site (sorry, I can't remember the link now... oops). He had Japanese audio on 18-24 hours a day! He was listening to audio during breakfast, between university classes, bathroom breaks... even while sleeping! I can't do that many hours a day, but that underscores what I need to work on. I don't have nearly enough of breathing, living Japanese (amazing, considering that I live in freakin' Japan!) or Portuguese in my life. Getting more of that is the next step for me.   Hey, there's my New Year's Resolution - about a month late! :)
4 persons have voted this message useful

kujichagulia
Japan
Joined 4635 days ago

1031 posts - 1571 votes 

Message 655 of 706
02 February 2015 at 2:37am | IP Logged 
Hey, 1000 posts for me at HTLAL! How about that? :)

(Wow... I never thought I'd be that guy...)

I haven't done an update of my activities for a while, so let's see what I can remember...

Japanese
My activities for Japanese lately have all been focused on media (aside from Anki reviews, of course).

Okay, let me rephrase that... the activities for Japanese that I am aware of. Geez, ever since Serpent made me realize that I was doing cooking in Japanese, I've been wondering what else I do in Japanese that I'm unconsciously not counting as "language time". Hmmm... I do small talk with some people at the fitness club. Uh, I read advertisements on the train. I watch the morning news and the evening news. I talk to students and teachers at work, and last Thursday I even had lunch with a group of freshmen girls in Japanese (which is not really my job; I'm paid to speak to them in English... but it was my lunch break, too), and of course I did cooking in Japanese (I found a nice lemon chicken recipe)...

Now, for the deliberate activities. My train activities have been skeletal. I've pretty much given up on the afternoon commute; during that time I'm just listening to audio reviews or passively listening one of the podcasts I've downloaded. (By passive, I mean I'm not doing anything other than concentrating on what I hear. I'm not doing any chorusing or looking up words or anything like that.) This past week in the morning on the train, when I've had energy I've alternated between the You're In Love, Charlie Brown movie and a few articles.

At home, I've been working through the weekly episode of an NHK anime called Danchi no Tomoo. It was recommended to me by someone at Lang-8 when I said I wanted to watch an anime based on real-life situations instead of samurai, girls with big eyes in pink dresses, kamehameha, or pocket monsters - you know, the kind of anime other Americans are interested in. And boy, what a recommendation! This show makes me laugh even though I don't understand a good chunk of it on first listen. For starters, the way the characters talk is quite funny to me. Anyway, I try to jot down any new words or phrases I come across that are interesting, and even record some audio into Anki, now that I've found a way to pipe the audio from my TV to my computer.   The only problem with that is that I need to have both the TV and the computer - which is rare (i.e. when my wife is not home). If it's just the TV, I have to write down new words on paper, which takes some time, or take pictures of the TV screen (with closed captions) with my camera (actually, I haven't tried this yet, but it sounds like a good idea!).

I've also been watching a drama called MaruMaruTsuma (○○妻), which comes on TV here. It's more difficult to understand than Danchi no Tomoo, but the plot is interesting. I watch it with my wife, though, so it's hard to pause it at times and jot down new words, so it's just an extensive activity.

Portuguese
Unfortunately, my Portuguese activity has been limited to the train - which is to say, I haven't done too much other than listening - podcasts and audio review. When I was in the mood, I also worked through a written synopsis of Portugueses Pelo Mundo - Osaka. The only Portuguese-related activity I did at home last week was preparing a parallel text for the 3rd and 4th parts of the Deutsche Welle Listening by Ear radionovela Futebol em Africa (yeah, I know there should be an accent over the big "a" in Africa... I can't type one at this computer).   Actually, I'm finished with it, so I'm going to try doing it on the train this week. It took me ages to get through Futebol parts 1 and 2, simply because my Portuguese was not at a good level then. I think 3 and 4 will go faster.

Edited by kujichagulia on 02 February 2015 at 2:41am

vonPeterhof
Tetraglot
Russian FederationRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4560 days ago

715 posts - 1527 votes 
Speaks: Russian*, EnglishC2, Japanese, German
Studies: Kazakh, Korean, Norwegian, Turkish

Message 656 of 706
02 February 2015 at 6:38am | IP Logged 
kujichagulia wrote:
At home, I've been working through the weekly episode of an NHK anime called Danchi no Tomoo. It was recommended to me by someone at Lang-8 when I said I wanted to watch an anime based on real-life situations instead of samurai, girls with big eyes in pink dresses, kamehameha, or pocket monsters - you know, the kind of anime other Americans are interested in.
As far as I know those who are into "beginner stuff" like "samurai, girls with big eyes in pink dresses, kamehameha, or pocket monsters" are pretty low in the non-Japanese anime fandom hierarchy - arguably even below apologists of incest and pedophilia. But yeah, Danchi Tomoo is a pretty fun show that is sadly underappreciated outside Japan and Taiwan - as far as I know it's not licensed anywhere, and the only fansubs I've encountered were those in Traditional Chinese.

This discussion contains 706 messages over 89 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version