Japan
Joined 4635 days ago

1031 posts - 1571 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Japanese, Portuguese

Message 393 of 706
17 January 2014 at 11:55pm | IP Logged 
Expugnator wrote:
kuji, it's paulista. It doesn't change according to changer, so you say 'um paulista'
or 'uma paulista' likewise.

Paulistano is someone from the city of São Paulo. Paulista is someone from anywhere in
the state of São Paulo (including the city, therefore). We usually call people from
other states, no need to be so specific that someone is a 'paulistano' when they are
out of São Paulo, so, it's to just say 'Ele á paulista' (no article, notice it).

Good luck with speaking Portuguese in person! Brazilians are usually receptive towards
foreigners trying to speak the language, at least as far as I've noticed. Reminds me
that I should try speaking Chinese for real, but, it is always somewha risky, as
Chinese people here are normally shop owners and don't always speak Mandarin.

As for the commutes, I agree with the disguise cover, and you could also try shifting
Anki reviews and podcast listening, for a test. I have a fixed schedule but I am
sometimes surprised when I have to shift something and it ends up smoother and more
efficient (I just decided not to do 3 Chinese activities in a row, and it is hasv
proved to be better).

Thank you for the information, Expugnator!

Yeah, I'm a bit nervous, but I've heard what you said about Brazilians, so that relaxes me a bit. I'll just relax and see what I can do.

I often set a study schedule for times of the day, and I think the schedule I make is awesome for me, so when the unexpected happens, I get frustrated. I think I need to be more flexible. If I can't read, it's okay for me to do something else - even something less intensive.
1 person has voted this message useful

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4954 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, Norwegian, French, English, Italian, Papiamento
Studies: Mandarin, Georgian, Russian

Message 394 of 706
18 January 2014 at 12:21am | IP Logged 
Yes, be flexible, expect to rearrange. Sometimes I am worried because of stuff that won't
let me study, then I solve these issues and start to catch up one item after one. Sooner
than I've realized, I'm almost done with everything. It's better to shift from your
ordinary order in such days. You won't have the feeling that "Oh, I had this and that
happening and I could only do 35% of what I do in languages"; on the contrary, you'll
feel that you had a lot happening but that you could do a lot of study nonetheless.
4 persons have voted this message useful

1e4e6
Octoglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4078 days ago

1013 posts - 1588 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Spanish, Portuguese, Norwegian, Dutch, Swedish, Italian
Studies: German, Danish, Russian, Catalan

Message 395 of 706
18 January 2014 at 6:24am | IP Logged 
Also I feel that European Portuguese is probably similar to English wherein many words
are not pronounced completely, i.e. there is much mixing of words and dropping of vowels,
merging of consonants, etc. Almost every word sounds like it has a schwa or a syllable
drop, like in English. In European Portuguese, a random sentence like, «O que vais tomar,
uma cerveja ou uma copa de vinho?» sounds like, with English alphabet, "oo k'ə v'zh t'mə,
'mə, sə'vayzh', o 'mə cawp' də veeny'?". I suppose this is like how in English, "Are you
coming now or not?" might sound like, "ə yə kə'm'n'ə ə nət?"

Carminho falando numa capela
2 persons have voted this message useful

kujichagulia
Japan
Joined 4635 days ago

1031 posts - 1571 votes 

Message 396 of 706
18 January 2014 at 1:27pm | IP Logged 
1e4e6 wrote:
Also I feel that European Portuguese is probably similar to English wherein many words
are not pronounced completely, i.e. there is much mixing of words and dropping of vowels,
merging of consonants, etc. Almost every word sounds like it has a schwa or a syllable
drop, like in English. In European Portuguese, a random sentence like, «O que vais tomar,
uma cerveja ou uma copa de vinho?» sounds like, with English alphabet, "oo k'ə v'zh t'mə,
'mə, sə'vayzh', o 'mə cawp' də veeny'?". I suppose this is like how in English, "Are you
coming now or not?" might sound like, "ə yə kə'm'n'ə ə nət?"

Carminho falando numa capela

I have only a "beginner's ear", but it seems to me that standard Brazilian Portuguese is a little easier to listen to and understand than standard Iberian Portuguese. However, the more I learn, the more the difference is reduced, and I'm starting to just recognize them as two versions of the same language.

Another video link? You are awesome! I'm starting to like fado. And I've already watched a few minutes of the Portugueses em Osaka video and have downloaded a few of the videos in that Portugueses Pelo Mundo series. There are no videos I like watching more than travel videos, or videos about other countries. I can't believe I didn't think of searching for such videos in Japanese and Portuguese before.

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4954 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, Norwegian, French, English, Italian, Papiamento
Studies: Mandarin, Georgian, Russian

Message 397 of 706
18 January 2014 at 1:34pm | IP Logged 
Search for Adnet Viaja then kuji, it was a TV program with a famous brazilian comediant,
Marcelo Adnet, the one who has stand-up videos in Papiamsento. Not sure if you can watch
them from MTV anymore but I believe there's something at
YT .

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6385 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 398 of 706
22 January 2014 at 8:24pm | IP Logged 
Forlán will now play in your city's team...

kujichagulia
Japan
Joined 4635 days ago

1031 posts - 1571 votes 

Message 399 of 706
23 January 2014 at 5:31am | IP Logged 
Serpent wrote:
Forlán will now play in your city's team...

Nossa! Eu não soube até agora! I had no idea! That is my favorite football team in Japan, and I like Forlán a little. I really need to make time to go to a Cerezo Osaka game now.
2 persons have voted this message useful

kujichagulia
Japan
Joined 4635 days ago

1031 posts - 1571 votes 

Message 400 of 706
23 January 2014 at 5:42am | IP Logged 
I SPOKE PORTUGUESE TO SOMEONE... KIND OF

As I mentioned earlier, a group of expatriots in the Osaka area came to our school this morning to speak English with the students in my advanced English conversation class. One of them was from Brazil, a 50-something-year-old man. I spent a week going over possible conversations and what I would say to him.

I heard that Brazilians are very friendly, and that certainly was the case with this particular fellow. Unfortunately for me, he was more friendly with the cute girls in my class. He spent the entire two classes talking to just the girls and getting them to squeal and giggle. I managed to squeeze in a few Portuguese sentences, but to no avail. It was all English with this guy. In fact, one time he said, "What was that you were speaking? Spanish?" It was a joke; he wasn't being ill-mannered. But in all, I said three sentences in Portuguese - "Bem-vindo a nossa escola", "Muito prazer", and "Esse estudante é muito engraçado" - all with no reply in Portuguese.

But like I said, he was there to speak English to my students, not Portuguese with me, so he was doing his job. And the schedule was quite tight, both for him and me, so there was no time for us to hang out. He didn't seem that interested in it, anyway.

Ah well, I'm not too shaken up by it. Better luck next time, right?

This discussion contains 706 messages over 89 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version