Diglot
United KingdomRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5770 days ago

1485 posts - 2002 votes 
Speaks: English*, Japanese
Studies: French, German

Message 161 of 706
04 April 2013 at 9:54pm | IP Logged 
@Expugnator, your previous approach to languages describes exactly how I used to be with Japanese. I've spent so much money and time collecting things. And I have also experienced the same fear of finishing a book, which ended up holding me back further. Writing it down like this makes me feel even more foolish, as it seems so obviously crazy to a rational mind. It's too late for me with Japanese. I mean, I haven't expanded my collection considerably for a long time, but I'm already carrying the baggage of my previous collection habits. But since taking on a new language project (German), I have pretty much adopted the same motto as you. It's ok to window shop from time to time, but I've grown a lot better at asking myself "do I really need this" - and the answer is usually "no!"
2 persons have voted this message useful

kujichagulia
Japan
Joined 4635 days ago

1031 posts - 1571 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Japanese, Portuguese

Message 162 of 706
05 April 2013 at 4:31am | IP Logged 
Wow, I'm glad that I'm not the only one that has gone through this.

I hope the path I set for myself a few posts ago will be enough to get me over this hump and move forward.
1 person has voted this message useful

kujichagulia
Japan
Joined 4635 days ago

1031 posts - 1571 votes 

Message 163 of 706
05 April 2013 at 4:59am | IP Logged 
PT - Aquí está fazendo sol hoje. O dia está muito lindo! Esta manhã no trem, por meus estudos de português, eu fiz apenas Anki. Geralmente, a sexta-feira não é um dia para estudar português, mas ao trabalho tenho tempo livre um pouco. Então estou pensando em ler e ouvir a uma radionovela de Deutsche Welle que se chama "Futebol em África – Muito mais do que um jogo." Há tantas palavras que não sei, mas acho que a radionovela é muita interessante.

EN - Wow, I don't think I've written something so long in Portuguese before, and definitely not in public. Yikes! I had to look up a few words (tempo livre, palavra), but there it is.

Today it's sunny here. It's a beautiful day! This morning on the train, for my Portuguese studies I only did Anki reviews. Usually, Fridays are not for studying Portuguese (it's a Japanese day), but I have a little free time at work, so I'm thinking about doing a little bit of reading and listening to a "radionovela" from Deutsche Welle called "Futebol em África – Muito mais do que um jogo." There are a lot of words in it that I don't know, so it's difficult, but I think it is quite interesting.

At this point I should thank iguanamon for sending me the bilingual text he made for the first episode; that really helped me get started on this, so I'm grateful.

Edited by kujichagulia on 05 April 2013 at 5:00am

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4954 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, Norwegian, French, English, Italian, Papiamento
Studies: Mandarin, Georgian, Russian

Message 164 of 706
05 April 2013 at 5:34pm | IP Logged 
Muito bem, kuji! Perfeitamente compreensível. Would you mind if I make some corrections in order to make it sound more natural?

dampingwire
Bilingual Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4453 days ago

1185 posts - 1513 votes 
Speaks: English*, Italian*, French
Studies: Japanese

Message 165 of 706
05 April 2013 at 9:39pm | IP Logged 
kujichagulia wrote:
Wow, I'm glad that I'm not the only one that has gone through this.

Been there. Done that. Bought the T-shirt. (Probably bought way too many T-shirts, in
fact).

The annoying thing is that I have a bunch of beginner-level resources that I know I'm
unlikely to ever use properly because I'm past the stage where I can see they would
have been really useful ... if only I'd used them.

Mind you,as the end of Minna No Nihongo looms (and Japanese for Busy People II is too
lightweight to last much longer) I need to think about getting hold of the Kanzen
Master N2 stuff. I'm trying really hard to avoid finding it on scribd or google books
and looking at a preview ...

g-bod
Diglot
United KingdomRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5770 days ago

1485 posts - 2002 votes 
Speaks: English*, Japanese
Studies: French, German

Message 166 of 706
05 April 2013 at 10:41pm | IP Logged 
I wouldn't bother too much with the Kanzen Master N2 stuff. I have all of them and would say you definitely don't need the kanji, vocab and listening books. The grammar book is good for example sentences and for pointing out a few tricky points at that level, but it's not that good for exercises (as they are all multiple choice JLPT style questions). I found the reading book was helpful for the reading section of the JLPT exam, but if you're not preparing for the exam there's no need to get it.

Anyway, isn't there now an intermediate level Minna no Nihongo available?

kujichagulia
Japan
Joined 4635 days ago

1031 posts - 1571 votes 

Message 167 of 706
06 April 2013 at 9:31am | IP Logged 
Expugnator wrote:
Muito bem, kuji! Perfeitamente compreensível. Would you mind if I
make some corrections in order to make it sound more natural?

Please do! I'm sure that my Portuguese needs a lot of work.

kujichagulia
Japan
Joined 4635 days ago

1031 posts - 1571 votes 

Message 168 of 706
06 April 2013 at 9:34am | IP Logged 
dampingwire wrote:

Been there. Done that. Bought the T-shirt. (Probably bought way too many T-shirts, in
fact).

The annoying thing is that I have a bunch of beginner-level resources that I know I'm
unlikely to ever use properly because I'm past the stage where I can see they would
have been really useful ... if only I'd used them.

Mind you,as the end of Minna No Nihongo looms (and Japanese for Busy People II is too
lightweight to last much longer) I need to think about getting hold of the Kanzen
Master N2 stuff. I'm trying really hard to avoid finding it on scribd or google books
and looking at a preview ...

Stay away. STAY AWAY! :)

This discussion contains 706 messages over 89 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version