kujichagulia
Japan
Joined 4635 days ago

1031 posts - 1571 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Japanese, Portuguese

Message 305 of 706
24 September 2013 at 3:08am | IP Logged 
Lately I've been making "language islands", as described in Boris Shekhtman's book How to Improve Your Foreign Language Immediately. I bought this book in August, and I've been trying to make room for "island-making" in my study regimen.

If you are not familiar with the concept, islands are basically blurbs of language on a certain topic that you have repeated over and over to the point of memorization. When you are having trouble during a conversation in your L2, you can use these islands to get back on track, or you can use them to enhance your conversations. The book is a short book, but it is really awesome and seems to have the potential to add a lot to my language knowledge.

Anyway, I've only made two islands so far: one in Japanese and one in Portuguese. Both are just a short introduction about myself. The island in Japanese, specifically, was very easy to write, with me being intermediate level, and the only time I had to check the dictionary was for the words "beginner" and "intermediate", for talking about my language level. (I'm surprised that I didn't know those words.) Then I had my island corrected on Lang-8.com, although there were very few corrections.

And yet, despite the ease of making the island, I found that I had a lot of trouble speaking it at a native pace with proper pronunciation. I practice telling my islands during the only time of the day that I am - with the exception of my rabbit - completely alone: when I come home from work and I have about 15 minutes before my wife comes home. I'm cooking at that time, so I don't have 100% concentration. But it's enough. I tilt my Android Walkman against the wall so that I can easily glance at the PDF, and I practice while I cook. That seems like a very, very efficient way to get some good, controlled speaking practice in.

But as I said before, I'm really disappointed with the trouble I've had telling the piece at a native pace with decent pronunciation. My speaking needs a LOT of work. I think my output, in general, needs a lot of work. My language regimen is heavily weighted towards input activities: reading, listening, textbooks, etc. I hardly do any output exercises: writing, speaking. My Japanese speaking practice is limited to the short conversations I sometimes have with people at work during the week. Those are good and helpful, but I think I need some controlled practice as well. ("Island-practicing" during cooking time will be a big help for this.)

And I need to write more. I said that writing the Japanese island was "easy", but it was easy in the sense that I almost never refered to the dictionary. The words were already in my head. But it took a lot of time to think of those words - at least compared to thinking of words in my native language. I think writing every day will help reduce the amount of time that I need to pull words and phrases out of my head.

So, my new goal is to write everyday. I'm going to keep a journal, and I'm going to aim for six sentences a day in Japanese, and three sentences a day in Portuguese. I could probably do more sentences per day in Japanese, but it takes time to think of words when I am writing them. Plus, if I make my goal somewhat easy, I have a good chance of doing it every day. Once I establish some sort of consistency, and once I find myself writing faster and faster, then I will increase the amount of lines I write.
4 persons have voted this message useful

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4954 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, Norwegian, French, English, Italian, Papiamento
Studies: Mandarin, Georgian, Russian

Message 306 of 706
26 September 2013 at 9:25pm | IP Logged 
What an ambitious goal! Wishing you all the best and looking forward to hearing about
your progress. It is still not suitable for me at today's schedule, though it is a must
for B1+ languages.

Sometimes you get astonished at how much of the language you can use in daily ordinary
conversation. I'm sure that even though my knowledge of Chinese or Georgian doesn't allow
for me to read a book in those languages, I can actually interact with native speakers on
them to a much better extent. That is to say, I've learned enough of the simple, daily
interactions and the vocabulary that is still missing is not of the most essential one.
2 persons have voted this message useful

kujichagulia
Japan
Joined 4635 days ago

1031 posts - 1571 votes 

Message 307 of 706
27 September 2013 at 5:23am | IP Logged 
Expugnator wrote:
What an ambitious goal! Wishing you all the best and looking forward to hearing about
your progress. It is still not suitable for me at today's schedule, though it is a must
for B1+ languages.

Sometimes you get astonished at how much of the language you can use in daily ordinary
conversation. I'm sure that even though my knowledge of Chinese or Georgian doesn't allow
for me to read a book in those languages, I can actually interact with native speakers on
them to a much better extent. That is to say, I've learned enough of the simple, daily
interactions and the vocabulary that is still missing is not of the most essential one.

Thank you for your post, Expugnator. I have to say that, since posting that, I have met my daily goals only once. I still haven't been able to make it a habit yet. I make it a point to write in Japanese first, then do a Portuguese entry, but some days I don't get to the Portuguese, and even on those days sometimes I don't finish writing a Japanese journal.

I'm hoping that writing will help activate more of the vocabulary that I have in my head but have trouble putting into use when talking with people.
1 person has voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6385 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 308 of 706
17 October 2013 at 12:25am | IP Logged 
kujichagulia wrote:
One thing I have noticed recently is that I really have trouble studying on the train. This wasn't the case before; I went for a year with a regimented study routine. But things can change, especially when learning a language, and what worked before can, all of a sudden, stop working. I understand that now, thanks to my Anki experiences.

Before, I could do things like pull out my Japanese textbook (if sitting down) and go through some exercises during the 40-minute commute home, or do some DLI Portuguese. Or I could write a journal entry or something. Or read an article intensively and scour it for useful vocabulary and phrases. I really have trouble doing that now. Basically, anything involving writing or typing on my Walkman, or anything requiring a lot of mental effort, has become somewhat difficult on my train commutes. I can still do very passive things like (Language)Pod101.com podcasts, or native-intended podcasts, or listen to music. I could review dialogs from previous IAIJ or DLI lessons.   DLI lessons are sometimes okay as well, but only if I have looked up the new vocabulary I need to look up, and gone over the grammar a few times - that way I can just concentrate on the drills. Anyway, there is still a lot that I can do on my train commutes, but I feel more limited as to what I can do.

The problem is that - perhaps foolishly - "train time" is the majority of my study time for both Japanese and Portuguese. Obviously, I don't have dedicated time for studying at work every day, other than the 45-minute lunch break, when I'm trying to, you know, eat. Can't really do anything intensively there. I could study more at home, and I would probably have more overall time at home, but I really need to make myself study at home, as there are so many distractions and it is easy to get off track and watch TV or visit some English websites or something. I didn't have those distractions on the train, so that is why I really treasured those moments. But I need to evaluate my current situation and figure out how I am going to study from now on.
This sounds like a non-language issue tbh. Are you getting enough sleep? Can it be the weather or food or physical activity or other stuff like that? Is it hard to concentrate both in the morning and in the evening, in the same way? Does there happen to be more people on the train?

As for your writing goal, you're very welcome in the consistency thread :) You don't need to post updates every day.
3 persons have voted this message useful

kujichagulia
Japan
Joined 4635 days ago

1031 posts - 1571 votes 

Message 309 of 706
29 October 2013 at 2:02pm | IP Logged 
Serpent wrote:
This sounds like a non-language issue tbh. Are you getting enough sleep? Can it be the weather or food or physical activity or other stuff like that? Is it hard to concentrate both in the morning and in the evening, in the same way? Does there happen to be more people on the train?

As for your writing goal, you're very welcome in the consistency thread :) You don't need to post updates every day.

Yes, this is definitely a non-language issue, no doubt. In fact, I think this has been at the heart of all my study problems since the summer.

I think there are more people on the train, and I'm just now realizing it. Perhaps my area of Osaka is rapidly growing. I wouldn't be surprised; condominiums are sprouting like weeds around here. I'm not able to sit down during my afternoon commutes like I used to, except on rare occasions. That means I can't open a large book or a notebook and read/write. I rarely sat down in the mornings before - which was okay because I do DLI Portuguese drills in the morning and I don't have to sit down for that - but now the morning trains are more crowded. The big problem is that there seem to be more students on the trains - junior and senior high school students - and some of them are very loud. It can be hard to concentrate and think of conjugations when schoolgirls are shrieking 10 centimeters from your nose.

I'm working on changing my routine. I need to find some really passive activities for the train, such as audio that I can listen to and not need to concentrate too much on. And I really, really need to make myself study more at home, especially Japanese.

I've been tempted by the consistency thread for a long time. I'll join one of these days. :)

Edited by kujichagulia on 29 October 2013 at 2:03pm

1 person has voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6385 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 310 of 706
29 October 2013 at 4:26pm | IP Logged 
Ohhh loud people are horrible! Use either earplugs or earphones! I used to be able to read on the metro only with instrumental music on, now I'm less picky but I do need music.
But also, as you can't optimize other people, optimize yourself. The more stressed you are and the less sleep you've had, the more you'll react to distractions.

kujichagulia
Japan
Joined 4635 days ago

1031 posts - 1571 votes 

Message 311 of 706
30 October 2013 at 2:16am | IP Logged 
Serpent wrote:
But also, as you can't optimize other people, optimize yourself. The more stressed you are and the less sleep you've had, the more you'll react to distractions.

Yeah, you're probably right. I've been getting only 7 1/2 hours of sleep a night lately. I should probably get 8 or 9. I haven't been stressed lately, but my wife has been stressed a lot for a variety of reasons. That may affect me somehow.

You mentioned physical activity before. At first I thought, "But I work out five times a week." But perhaps I'm working out too much? I do seven different aerobics classes a week, plus a Zumba class and weight training. Maybe I'm too tired to study languages after that. But I do need to get rid of this gut.

Edited by kujichagulia on 30 October 2013 at 2:19am

The Real CZ
United States
Joined 5437 days ago

1069 posts - 1495 votes 
Studies: Japanese, Korean

Message 312 of 706
30 October 2013 at 6:55pm | IP Logged 
kujichagulia wrote:
Serpent wrote:
But also, as you can't optimize other people,
optimize yourself. The more stressed you are and the less sleep you've had, the more
you'll react to distractions.

Yeah, you're probably right. I've been getting only 7 1/2 hours of sleep a night
lately. I should probably get 8 or 9. I haven't been stressed lately, but my wife has
been stressed a lot for a variety of reasons. That may affect me somehow.

You mentioned physical activity before. At first I thought, "But I work out five times
a week." But perhaps I'm working out too much? I do seven different aerobics classes
a week, plus a Zumba class and weight training. Maybe I'm too tired to study languages
after that. But I do need to get rid of this gut.

There is such a thing as over-exercising. It happened to me last year when I was trying
to gain 10 lbs to my frame, but I ended up losing 15 pounds because I was exercising
too much, not giving my body enough time to recuperate.

3 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 706 messages over 89 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version