United Kingdom
germanic.eu/
Joined 4187 days ago

119 posts - 182 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, Norwegian, Old English

Message 113 of 553
18 December 2012 at 8:58pm | IP Logged 
I vote for Julie too, she seems like a natural choice.
1 person has voted this message useful

daegga
Tetraglot
Austria
lang-8.com/553301
Joined 4309 days ago

1076 posts - 1792 votes 
Speaks: German*, EnglishC2, Swedish, Norwegian
Studies: Danish, French, Finnish, Icelandic

Message 114 of 553
18 December 2012 at 9:29pm | IP Logged 
Is anybody here interested in Nynorsk (at least passively)?
I'll probably go through this audio book of a children's book written in Nynorsk. It's only a bit more than 4 hours long and should be easy enough.
4 persons have voted this message useful

liddytime
Pentaglot
United States
mainlymagyar.wordpre
Joined 6017 days ago

693 posts - 1328 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Italian, Portuguese, Galician
Studies: Hungarian, Vietnamese, Modern Hebrew, Norwegian, Persian, Arabic (Written)

Message 115 of 553
18 December 2012 at 9:43pm | IP Logged 
Serpent wrote:
Julie is a great candidate:) De facto some of the requirements are:
-language learning experience
-technical "literacy"
-being serious about the language(s) of the team and not just dabbling.

She has all of these:)))

Julie - looks like the rest of us are taking one step back and nominating you our team leader! :-)

limey75
United Kingdom
germanic.eu/
Joined 4187 days ago

119 posts - 182 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, Norwegian, Old English

Message 116 of 553
18 December 2012 at 9:51pm | IP Logged 
daegga wrote:

I'm interested in NN for 2 reasons:

1) I plan on writing an article one day on the differences between BM and NN vocabulary
2) I plan on listening to Snorres Kongesager in NN. I think NN is the perfect language for the sagas of the Norwegian kings, being as it is, closer to the original Old Norse.
3 persons have voted this message useful

Brun Ugle
Diglot
Norway
brunugle.wordpress.c
Joined 6408 days ago

1292 posts - 1766 votes 
Speaks: English*, NorwegianC1
Studies: Japanese, Esperanto, Spanish, Finnish

Message 117 of 553
18 December 2012 at 10:21pm | IP Logged 
I agree with the choice of Julie as a leader (assuming she wants the job). This team seems to be running very smoothly and I see no reason for a change in management. I suspect that having a certain cosmonaut as fairy godmother helps a bit too :)

So let me know, Julie.

Regarding nynorsk:

I'm quite fond of it.

If you are only looking for passive knowledge, then you don't really need to learn it specifically. If you can read any Scandinavia language (I'm including Bokmål, Nynorsk, Swedish and Danish), then you will be able to read the others without a great deal of difficulty. I don't read much that isn't Japanese at the moment, but in the past, I've read things in all four languages/dialects.

jeff_lindqvist
Diglot
SwedenRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6697 days ago

4250 posts - 5710 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: German, Spanish, Russian, Dutch, Mandarin, Esperanto, Irish, French
Personal Language Map

Message 118 of 553
18 December 2012 at 10:55pm | IP Logged 
daegga wrote:

I'm unbiased and will use whatever resources I can come across. I'll have a listen to the audiobook. However, chances are that I won't notice any major differences unless the narrator has a certain accent I'm not familiar with. Or if I DO notice any differences I might just think of them as "other vocabulary" (as in "pavement"/"sidewalk").

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5122 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 119 of 553
19 December 2012 at 12:00am | IP Logged 
I think you have made a great choice for a leader. If against all odds she should need any extra TAC
experience, I am here to assist her, but I find it highly unlikely that she will need any assistance.

I have a couple of crazy days right now( celebrated Christmas nr. 1 today, since my daughter is leaving for
Spain tomorrow), but I start giving feed back to those of you who have written in Norwegian as soon as I can.
You may start thinking about what kind of feed back you want. I can't promise to correct every text you write, I
doubt that I'll have the capacity for that, but I was thinking of perhaps mentioning any particular words,
structures and expressions I see that seem to cause trouble for several of you.

If anyone would like me to correct whole texts, let me know, and I'll see what I can do :-)

A question for those of you who do Swedish and Danish. I can often see that something looks odd, but I
would not feel confident enough to actually correct it, as I may tell you something that is also wrong, although
in a different way. One way of solving this is that I point out what looks odd to me, and ask you to look it up if
possible, another way is that I tell you what I think it might be, a third option (the most sensible one) is to stay
away entirely, and let a native speaker take over. You are lucky enough to have a native Swedish speaker -
although I do not know how much capacity he has to advice others. For Danish I have no solution, unless one
of you are so advanced that he/she could advise the others.

liddytime
Pentaglot
United States
mainlymagyar.wordpre
Joined 6017 days ago

693 posts - 1328 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Italian, Portuguese, Galician
Studies: Hungarian, Vietnamese, Modern Hebrew, Norwegian, Persian, Arabic (Written)

Message 120 of 553
19 December 2012 at 2:09am | IP Logged 
It took a few days... but I did get my "official TAC Team Viking" log up and running

Liddy Log

This discussion contains 553 messages over 70 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version