brunugle.wordpress.c
Joined 6408 days ago

1292 posts - 1766 votes 
Speaks: English*, NorwegianC1
Studies: Japanese, Esperanto, Spanish, Finnish

Message 57 of 553
15 December 2012 at 1:51pm | IP Logged 
Solfrid Cristin wrote:

Also are you considering a team motto, song, or picture like some other teams have?

At least you'll be the only ones with a team comic strip.
1 person has voted this message useful

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5122 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 58 of 553
15 December 2012 at 2:25pm | IP Logged 
Welcome Fasulye! Yes, I find it highly unlikely that the team should lose all its members, given the size of the group. What is important for success however, is that you keep in close touch and that you are active not only writing your own logs, but that you also read and comment the logs of the others. It is highly demotivating to be writing 10 posts in a row, with no comments. And you need to be particularly sharp after summer, when people tend to lose momentum.

Having small challenges is a fantastic idea. I am so fortunate as to be on no less than two teams with LanguageSponge, who came up with the idea. His suggestion in the Greek team, was that we each write something in Greek to show our level. In my case, I had to ask him for a few days, because I cannot write a single word in Greek right now. With such a creative lot, I am sure that you can come up with lots of great ideas for challenges, but to start you off I will give you one that will take you only 10 minutes. You will be tempted to spend more time than that, but don't do that. A. It would make you procrastinate, B. The point of this particular challenge is to give a snapshot of where you are right now, and then you can look at it in a year from now and be happy about how much you have learned.

Are you ready?

Here comes VIKING CHALLENGE NUMBER 1: Sett i gang!

Prepare to write a post on this thread. Set your timer, or the stop watch on your cell phone and put it on 5 minutes, Then write as much as you can in your target language without using anything but your brain.No dictionaries, no course books.

Then set your timer for another 5 minutes, and write whatever you want, this time using a dictionary if you like (and you want to spend some of your precious 5 minutes on that).

The nice side effect of this particular challenge, is of course that both you and I then will get an idea of where you all are, and it will be easier to plan mini challenges in the future. Anyone who joins the team later, can just do the challenge when it is convenient for them.

Have fun!

Julie
Heptaglot
PolandRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6691 days ago

1251 posts - 1733 votes 
5 sounds
Speaks: Polish*, EnglishB2, GermanC2, SpanishB2, Dutch, Swedish, French

Message 59 of 553
15 December 2012 at 3:04pm | IP Logged 
@Solfrid Cristin: Nice idea!

I don't know if you meant we should publish our writings either here or on our logs, or
rather keep them to ourselves but here it comes: the result of the last 10 minutes.

I decided not to use any dictionaries after all: I don't think I would be able to check
anything without losing too much time. Oh, and it was funny to type something in
Swedish! All texts I've written so far were handwritten, the only typing I did was to
add words to Anki. I use a German keyboard setting for umlauts, and copy&paste for 'å'
:). Due to the time constraints, I wasn't able to re-read the fruit of my work.

So that's my text, and all the comments and corrections will be strongly appreciated
:).

Hej, det är mycket svårt, att skriva på svenska utan något ordbok, men jag kommer att
försöka. Jag är Julie, kommer från Polen och bor i Poznan. Jag studerar på
universitetet i Poznan. Jag talar engelska och tyska flyttande, och franska ganska bra.
Jag har läst svenska i över två månader, det är inte länge! Jag tycker om att läsa
svenska! Jag skulle vilja läsa norska och danska en gäng till.

När jag läser svenska, använder jag mycket böcker. Jag har Assimil (pä franska) och
nägra böcker pä polska. Jag gör pä en kurs pä universitetet. Vi använder "Svenska
Utifrån" och andra böcker. Igår läste jag en sida från "Masterdetektiv Blomkvist" på
svenska.

Jag måste använda en ordbok hela tiden, men jag gillade att läsa på svenska en bok, som
är inte en kursbok! Jag ska fortsätta att läsa boken.

Det är inte mycket svårt att läsa, när man har mycket tid och man kan använda ordböcker
och tänker mycket. Men der är inte lätt att förstå svenska på radio och på teve. Jag
hoppas att det kan byta!
2 persons have voted this message useful

daegga
Tetraglot
Austria
lang-8.com/553301
Joined 4309 days ago

1076 posts - 1792 votes 
Speaks: German*, EnglishC2, Swedish, Norwegian
Studies: Danish, French, Finnish, Icelandic

Message 60 of 553
15 December 2012 at 3:05pm | IP Logged 
Just created a thread for my log.

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5122 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 61 of 553
15 December 2012 at 3:15pm | IP Logged 
@Julie : Nice going! You did exactly what I meant, and for having learned Swedish for just two months your Swedish is absolutely amazing! I would have guessed two years! I understood everything you said. Great start! Who's next? It only takes 10 minutes, and the lower your level is, the more development you can see from now and til the end of next year, so no reason to be shy :-)

jeff_lindqvist
Diglot
SwedenRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6697 days ago

4250 posts - 5710 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: German, Spanish, Russian, Dutch, Mandarin, Esperanto, Irish, French
Personal Language Map

Message 62 of 553
15 December 2012 at 5:13pm | IP Logged 
Although I could probably produce a mangled version of Danish/Norwegian, I choose not to write anything until I've began the studies "for real".

By the way, are we supposed to keep a separate TAC log for each language (Danish, Irish, Norwegian), or for each team (Scandinavian, Celtic), or even a "multi-confused" log? (all of the above)? I've seen all kinds here.

Brun Ugle
Diglot
Norway
brunugle.wordpress.c
Joined 6408 days ago

1292 posts - 1766 votes 
Speaks: English*, NorwegianC1
Studies: Japanese, Esperanto, Spanish, Finnish

Message 63 of 553
15 December 2012 at 6:20pm | IP Logged 
jeff_lindqvist wrote:
Although I could probably produce a mangled version of Danish/Norwegian, I choose not to write anything until I've began the studies "for real".

By the way, are we supposed to keep a separate TAC log for each language (Danish, Irish, Norwegian), or for each team (Scandinavian, Celtic), or even a "multi-confused" log? (all of the above)? I've seen all kinds here.

You don't need to have more than one log, but you could if you choose to. Personally, I think I would find it too much hassle, so I will have only one log.

You are also allowed to continue an old log and simply rename it, in case you didn't know.

liddytime
Pentaglot
United States
mainlymagyar.wordpre
Joined 6017 days ago

693 posts - 1328 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Italian, Portuguese, Galician
Studies: Hungarian, Vietnamese, Modern Hebrew, Norwegian, Persian, Arabic (Written)

Message 64 of 553
15 December 2012 at 6:21pm | IP Logged 
OK,OK, I'm definitely in! With 13 out of 15 places taken, I don't want to miss a spot!

I'm new to the TAC thing but I have a question similar to Jeff's. Do we post our logs here on the team site or do we
keep a separate log?

I'll be back later this weekend to post my bio and (eek!) try to write something in Norwegian...

This discussion contains 553 messages over 70 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 79 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version