Diglot
United States
Joined 4936 days ago

491 posts - 617 votes 
Speaks: English*, GermanC2
Studies: Danish

Message 489 of 553
11 October 2013 at 12:22am | IP Logged 
I worked through Assimil Danish, except for the second wave. I plan to keep watching my Danish movies until I understand all the dialogue.

1 person has voted this message useful

mick33
United States
Joined 5712 days ago

1335 posts - 1632 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Finnish
Studies: Thai, Polish, Afrikaans, Hindi, Hungarian, Italian, Spanish, Swedish

Message 490 of 553
11 October 2013 at 12:53am | IP Logged 
I'd almost forgotten about this thread, but here's my status report. Lately, I have been listening to spoken and sung Swedish and practicing pronunciation. My future plans are to review the words I already know and learn at least 1,000 more words by the end of the year. I think it's also time I read a book in Swedish, but I'm undecided as to which book to choose.

sans-serif
Tetraglot
Finland
Joined 4347 days ago

298 posts - 470 votes 
Speaks: Finnish*, English, German, Swedish
Studies: Danish

Message 491 of 553
11 October 2013 at 10:29am | IP Logged 
Let's see. For Danish and Norwegian, I've listened to a podcast or two every week and watched some TV here and there. My Danish listening comprehension is starting to catch up and I can now understand a lot of audio materials comfortably. Movies and TV remain beyond my reach. I can watch them and enjoy the experience, but the dialogs tend to be just a bit too concise, a bit too snappy, and I lose the thread of the conversation quite often. Podcasts are much easier in this sense, as there are no scene breaks. :-)

As for Swedish, I've read some novels, some Kalle Anka comic books, and a Hufvudstadsbladet every now and then, plus I listen to some podcasts every week. Normal reading is starting to feel easy and comfortable, which I'm really really happy about. I had been doing the majority of my reading in L-R fashion, listening to the audiobook as I read, and it took me a surprisingly long time to adjust to regular reading. It's awesome to have that out of the way! For me, this is one of the most important breakthroughs on the path to learning a language.

I've also been working my way through a Memrise course called 6000+ Swedish Vocabulary Words (about 30% done) in the hopes that this would activate a lot of my passive vocabulary. It's too early to say anything definitive just yet, but at least I've gotten much better with word genders.

Finally, for a week or two now, I've been shadowing my way through the first Hunger Games book -- one chapter in the morning, another in the evening, if I can find the time -- with the effect that my pronunciation has become noticeably more "reliable". It used to come and go seemingly at random, but with this regular practice I'm slowly becoming more confident about it. The motor patterns haven't quite settled in yet, but I think I'm on my way there.

With the exception of some emails I write to a Swedish friend of mine and some IRC conversations, I've hardly done any output and it's starting to show. To the extent that it's possible, I will eventually replace my shadowing practice with Skype conversations and possibly some writing. For now I'll stick to this routine, and reassess the situation once I start noticing more improvements.

Edited by sans-serif on 11 October 2013 at 10:45am

suzukaze
Triglot
Italy
bit.ly/1bGm459
Joined 4390 days ago

186 posts - 254 votes 
Speaks: Italian*, English, Spanish
Studies: German, French, Swedish, Japanese

Message 492 of 553
22 October 2013 at 4:46pm | IP Logged 
I always forget to post updates here or on my own log (bad habit...will try to do better next year!). I will probably do an internship in Germany next summer so I'm focusing on improving my German at the moment. Still, I'm keeping up with Swedish: I listen to the daily Nyheter på lätt svenska and work with my Assimil course. I noticed that lessons are getting harder and harder though, so I need to spend more than the advised half an hour a day on them.

Emme
Triglot
Italy
Joined 5135 days ago

980 posts - 1594 votes 
Speaks: Italian*, English, German
Studies: Russian, Swedish, French

Message 493 of 553
29 October 2013 at 10:19am | IP Logged 
This update is just to let our Norwegian-learning Vikings know that they’ve begun to show the Norwegian drama series Hjem on SVTPlay.

The series comprises eight 45-minutes episodes subtitled in Swedish and can be watched from abroad. The first episode is available until Wednesday November 20, 2013. The first two episodes are already up and the next ones will become available as they are broadcast on TV.

Enjoy!

4 persons have voted this message useful

jeff_lindqvist
Diglot
SwedenRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6697 days ago

4250 posts - 5710 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: German, Spanish, Russian, Dutch, Mandarin, Esperanto, Irish, French
Personal Language Map

Message 494 of 553
29 October 2013 at 10:39am | IP Logged 
The second episode was broadcast yesterday. It's the typical drama-comedy series. I had a few good laughs. No thick accents so far.

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4954 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, Norwegian, French, English, Italian, Papiamento
Studies: Mandarin, Georgian, Russian

Message 495 of 553
29 October 2013 at 6:57pm | IP Logged 
For whatever reason, Norwegian series seem to make their way into the obscure side of the
internet only after they are released in Sweden. No wonder there are only 2 episodes
there so far =D

yuhakko
Tetraglot
FranceRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4420 days ago

414 posts - 582 votes 
Speaks: French*, EnglishB2, EnglishC2, Spanish, Japanese
Studies: Korean, Norwegian, Mandarin

Message 496 of 553
02 November 2013 at 5:22pm | IP Logged 
Well, I'm not sure if I still have my place here considering how inneficient I've been
but anyway.
For a small update: I'm still going slowly through Assimil and even more slowly TY. I'm
also watching a few movies in Norwegian here and there and using subs in Norwegian for
the American ones I find. I've also gone back to the "Learn Norwegian basics" on Memrise
but I find it rather easy. Finding motivation is my biggest problem but this week I've
finally started to talk to someone in Norwegian (and French) and as I hate not knowing
how to express something, it gives me a small push in the back everytime because I want
to be able to answer!

This discussion contains 553 messages over 70 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version