Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

CZ’s TAC 15 CHN/JPN/KOR

Language Learning Forum : Language Learning Log Post Reply
844 messages over 106 pages: << Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 10 ... 105 106 Next >>
The Real CZ
United States
Joined 5437 days ago

1069 posts - 1495 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Japanese, Korean

Message 73 of 844
09 March 2010 at 2:10am | IP Logged 
The only videos I watch twice (raw, then subbed) are shows Girls Generation are in. I have a lot of shows I want to watch, so I don't bother watching them (series and/or episode) twice.
1 person has voted this message useful

Warp3
United States
forum_posts.asp?TID=
Joined 5323 days ago

1419 posts - 1766 votes 
Studies: Spanish, Korean, Japanese

Message 74 of 844
09 March 2010 at 11:13pm | IP Logged 
I actually stopped watching TV in general a couple years back (partly due to lack of time), so the K-dramas aren't really as much of a lure for me. In fact, the only K-TV I watch with any regularity are the music performance shows like Music Core, Music Bank, and Inkigayo. So beyond those three shows I don't really have any shows to keep up with, per se.

Fortunately, though, I found a couple decent length videos I really like (the hour-long 소녀시대 vs 카라 Girls Awards video I linked to earlier in this thread, plus a ten-minute 카라 "morning" video from the same site) which have plenty of interesting dialog, reactions/responses, etc. Because they are interesting enough, I've watched them both countless times without really getting bored of either yet (though I'm sure it will eventually happen). However, while a fair bit of the dialog in those two videos has accompanying on-screen Korean text (mostly pop-up variety show style), they don't have normal captioning/subtitling, so not all dialog is repeated in text form and English subtitles are obviously not an option. Regardless, I've picked up quite a bit from just those two shows.

I do have one short (18 episodes, IIRC) K-Drama series and a couple movies though, which I would like to do some repeating with (both with and without subtitles). Hopefully, they are interesting, though, or that plan won't work very well.

Edited by Warp3 on 09 March 2010 at 11:14pm

The Real CZ
United States
Joined 5437 days ago

1069 posts - 1495 votes 

Message 75 of 844
10 March 2010 at 1:11am | IP Logged 
Yeah, variety shows do the same thing with the subtitles. They just put up a summary sentence or so it seems of most of the dialogue. I usually don't pay attention because I really need to get better at recognizing words spoken without the help of text. For the movies, do you have region 3 DVDs or something? I was thinking about buying Korean movies, but I didn't want to spend $50 for a region free DVD player because the DVD is a dying platform, and that Korean movies are expensive.

I don't want all of the music shows, I just look for the clips of the artists I like. Which means I avoid boy bands at all costs unless they have a fast-paced song.

Warp3
United States
forum_posts.asp?TID=
Joined 5323 days ago

1419 posts - 1766 votes 

Message 76 of 844
10 March 2010 at 6:32pm | IP Logged 
Actually the DVDs I got turned out to be "Region All" instead, but if they were region 3 there are a variety of easy fixes for region coding if you are playing them on a computer.

I initially only grabbed clips of select artists from those performances as well, but that caused me to miss out on some things: (1) bands I hadn't heard of previously (albeit sometimes for good reason...hehe), (2) unexpected special stage performances, like the MBC Music Core 200th episode which was absolutely loaded with them (for example, Tiffany + Yuri + CN-BLUE performing "Gee") and (3) large chunks of dialog in the interview and MC sections. So now I grab decent quality downloads of the full show instead, watch those, then if there are any specific performance clips I want, I look for HD clips of those.

The Real CZ
United States
Joined 5437 days ago

1069 posts - 1495 votes 

Message 77 of 844
12 March 2010 at 3:54am | IP Logged 
It may just be me, but the dialogue in dramas and movies are 5x easier to follow than variety shows, music shows, etc. I rarely watch the interviews or dialogue, except for the MC cuts for Music Core.

--

Continuing my new journey of no subtitled dramas (and anime, in the case of Japanese.) I still am watching a few shows with subs, but that's because I started watching them with subs already. My comprehension is back to 5-15%, so I'm guessing that one episode of a daily drama I was watching was just easier. I still get the gist of each scene (actions are a great help, as I may understand a few words per sentence at best, and some of the easier sentences.)

I started reading the book "My Name is Kim Sam Soon," which I watched the drama (which is based on the book) last year. I'm reading for comprehension, not looking anything up, just seeing how much I'll understand over time (and hoping it improves.) I'll probably only keep this to 5 pages a day or so (until summer vacation.) I'm just glad I'm not reading intensively, looking up everything, or else I would be on the first page's first paragraph still.

I think I really need to read more of the grammar books I have, mainly for the example sentences, and after the first run through (just checking one sentence per grammar point,) I'll need to read each sentence, probabaly a couple of times.

I also realized my vocab isn't big enough to even use a monolingual dictionary yet. Hoping to change that by the end of summer in both languages.

Well, I was skeptical of AJATT (only believed the listening part), but I've been studying Korean for a year, and while my passive knowledge may be at a high beginner/low intermediate, everything else sucks and I could be much better.

I think the first step is cutting back on the amount of music I listen to (just look at my January posts.)

Warp3
United States
forum_posts.asp?TID=
Joined 5323 days ago

1419 posts - 1766 votes 

Message 78 of 844
12 March 2010 at 4:43pm | IP Logged 
The Real CZ wrote:
It may just be me, but the dialogue in dramas and movies are 5x easier to follow than variety shows, music shows, etc.

I can see that being true.

Quote:
I rarely watch the interviews or dialogue, except for the MC cuts for Music Core.

Gee...why doesn't that surprise me? :-P On a somewhat related note, apparently Sulli from f(x) is one of the MCs on SBS Inkigayo now.

Quote:
My comprehension is back to 5-15%, so I'm guessing that one episode of a daily drama I was watching was just easier.

Of the shows you've watched, which would you say have had the easiest to follow dialog? (Obviously this would vary per person based on your currently known vocab, but I'm still curious what your answer is.)

Quote:
I'm just glad I'm not reading intensively, looking up everything, or else I would be on the first page's first paragraph still.

That's part of the reason I haven't really started reading in Korean yet. My vocabulary is still way too small to even consider intensive reading as I'd be looking up 90% of the words on the page.

Quote:
I think the first step is cutting back on the amount of music I listen to (just look at my January posts.)

I've been coming to a similar conclusion recently. I need to spend less audio immersion time on music and more on pretty much anything with dialog in it (podcasts, audio extracted from TV shows, audiobooks, etc.).

The Real CZ
United States
Joined 5437 days ago

1069 posts - 1495 votes 

Message 79 of 844
13 March 2010 at 5:27pm | IP Logged 
The shows easiest to follow are dramas that are set in modern times. Daily dramas are a little easier to follow (on dialogue alone) than regular 1 hour dramas, but body gestures and knowing some words out of the sentence help paint the picture. Historical dramas, well, I mainly watch those for the fights to be honest. The stories can be either good or bad, and without subs, it's really hard to follow most of the dialogue because it's all advanced/historical vocab that I don't know yet. Some of the dialogue is easy (just like in any other drama,) but most of it goes over my head.

The music part is hard to cut off. T-ara and Kara are still promoting this week, SNSD is back next week with Black Soshi, I like Untouchable (with Song Ji Eun,) Outsider (Acquaintance is a good song,) Epik High should be promoting anytime soon, then there's April, where there will be a lot more comebacks.

Warp3
United States
forum_posts.asp?TID=
Joined 5323 days ago

1419 posts - 1766 votes 

Message 80 of 844
13 March 2010 at 8:06pm | IP Logged 
Ahhh...that must explain why SNSD is missing from yesterday's Music Bank roster (which confused me as it wasn't a goodbye stage last weekend).

Watching Outsider on the recent music shows was the first time I'd ever heard speed rap. All I can say is: Holy crap that's fast.

This discussion contains 844 messages over 106 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version