Марк
Russian Federation
Joined 4844 days ago

2096 posts - 2972 votes 
Speaks: Russian*

Message 225 of 439
21 May 2013 at 9:47pm | IP Logged 
tarvos wrote:

The trick with the tenses is when to use the imparfait or the passé composé (passé simple
in literature).

For speakers of Romance languages that's probably not a big problem.
I know that Russian perfective verbs always correspond to the passé composé, but
imperfective verbs can be translated with both tenses.
1 person has voted this message useful

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4495 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 226 of 439
21 May 2013 at 10:26pm | IP Logged 
Марк wrote:
tarvos wrote:

The trick with the tenses is when to use the imparfait or the passé composé (passé
simple
in literature).

For speakers of Romance languages that's probably not a big problem.
I know that Russian perfective verbs always correspond to the passé composé, but
imperfective verbs can be translated with both tenses.

True, but I do not speak any Romance languages (besides some Romanian, but I haven't
got round to the imperfect and pluperfect in Romanian and its uses yet). And I should
probably not deign to make any such comment concerning the correspondence between
Russian and French in this regard, so I'll leave that to you.

That said I have seen Spanish and Portuguese speakers make mistakes with this part of
the language. Though they will probably average less mistakes than Dutch or English
speakers.

fabriciocarraro
Hexaglot
Winner TAC 2012
Brazil
russoparabrasileirosRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4503 days ago

989 posts - 1454 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, EnglishB2, Italian, Spanish, Russian, French
Studies: Dutch, German, Japanese

Message 227 of 439
22 May 2013 at 4:00pm | IP Logged 
FRANÇAIS:

O Novo Francês Sem Esforço - Leçons 78-84:

That was fast, right? Ahaha not really, it's just that I wrote the last post while I was already in the middle of this block.
A bit like the block before the last one, my comprehension varied a lot, going from 50% to 100%, considering only the listening comprehension before looking at the book. There were a looot of expressions, and well, there was even a lesson called "l'argot" (slang). I think it's great to learn such things. Now they've focused on the future, which is also easy enough (except the irregulars).
Just one note, I think that the lesson 83 is a little late to first present an important word such as gasoline (essence), I'd have done it a earlier. But anyway, unless you're planning on travelling through France by car, you're good without it.

The active phase was harder for me though. It wasn't really a problem, but I constantly forgot about using "celui-là", "celle-ci", etc. Otherwise it was ok.

The review lesson was focused on the relative pronouns such as "laquelle", but adding prepositions, so "auquel", "duquel", "de laquelle", etc. It also explained one important grammar point, which is the use of the indicative future after words like "quand", "lorsque". I pointed that out because in Portuguese we use the subjunctive future, and it can confuse us at first, but giving it a longer look it's even easier in French.

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4495 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 228 of 439
22 May 2013 at 4:13pm | IP Logged 
Essence came really late in Le Breton, and if you need it there's always an online
dictionary. In Breton it's a loan by the way, esañs. Le Roumain has not introduced it
either. I think it's petrol though.

Марк
Russian Federation
Joined 4844 days ago

2096 posts - 2972 votes 

Message 229 of 439
22 May 2013 at 4:47pm | IP Logged 
fabriciocarraro wrote:
I pointed that out because in Portuguese we use the subjunctive
future,

Some people say that Romance languages have easier grammars than Latin. And in Portuguese
even the subjunctive has a future.

fabriciocarraro
Hexaglot
Winner TAC 2012
Brazil
russoparabrasileirosRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4503 days ago

989 posts - 1454 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, EnglishB2, Italian, Spanish, Russian, French
Studies: Dutch, German, Japanese

Message 230 of 439
22 May 2013 at 5:05pm | IP Logged 
Марк wrote:
fabriciocarraro wrote:
I pointed that out because in Portuguese we use the subjunctive
future,

Some people say that Romance languages have easier grammars than Latin. And in Portuguese
even the subjunctive has a future.

Well, in general the subjunctive future in Portuguese is very easy. Except for the irregular ones, it's simply the infinitive of the verb. I'll give you an example:

(Regular verb - "falar"(to speak))
In Portuguese: "Quando eu falar (subj. future), vocês ouvirão (indic. future)."
In French: "Quand je parlerai (indic. future), vous entendrez (indic. future)."

But:

(Iregular verb - "fazer"(to do, to make))
In Portuguese: "Quando eu fizer (subj. future), vocês farão (indic. future)."
In French: "Quand je ferai (indic. future), vous ferez (indic. future)."

But I see your point. I just think that Romance languages are much easier than Latin in terms of grammar because we don't have cases and declinations. It helps a lot.

Edited by fabriciocarraro on 22 May 2013 at 5:07pm

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4495 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 

Message 231 of 439
23 May 2013 at 8:52am | IP Logged 
Not having declensions doesn't mean easier because you start getting more complicated
syntax rules. Those don't apply as strongly to Latin.

French grammar for example is quite complex.

Марк
Russian Federation
Joined 4844 days ago

2096 posts - 2972 votes 

Message 232 of 439
23 May 2013 at 9:23am | IP Logged 
tarvos wrote:
Not having declensions doesn't mean easier because you start getting more
complicated
syntax rules. Those don't apply as strongly to Latin.

French grammar for example is quite complex.

Not having declensions certainly means simplification. But there are many things
concerning verbs which make life much more complicated. The first one is developping new
forms, which especially seen in Spanish (I don't know about Portuguese). The second one
is the polypersonic conjugation, which is the strongest in French. And finally, there are
articles (French has partitive articles as well), which have extremely complex rules of
usage.

This discussion contains 439 messages over 55 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version