Brazil
russoparabrasileirosRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4503 days ago

989 posts - 1454 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, EnglishB2, Italian, Spanish, Russian, French
Studies: Dutch, German, Japanese

Message 25 of 439
23 January 2012 at 1:58pm | IP Logged 
Dank jullie wel, @tarvos en @ReneeMona, voor jullie uitleg! =) Ik denk dat nu begrijp ik het beter!

This is not an actual update, but yesterday we had our 2nd "Team Sputnik Russian Skype session" and it was great! The audio chat was nice, and I could practice my English, Italian, Spanish and obviously some of my Russian. Also, the others talked a little in German, Norwegian and Swedish! Thanks guys, for the session, and I hope that the one 2 weeks from now will be even better!

Until then, I'll keep up with my Dutch and Russian.
1 person has voted this message useful

fabriciocarraro
Hexaglot
Winner TAC 2012
Brazil
Joined 4503 days ago

989 posts - 1454 votes 

Message 26 of 439
30 January 2012 at 1:52pm | IP Logged 
Update time, guys! =)

DUTCH:

I've completed the 32th lesson from the Assimil Dutch With Ease. This was no doubt the hardest lesson I came across so far! Not much to do with the grammar, but mostly in therms of new vocabulary and expressions. I did it the wrong way though, because I first copied the dialogue to my notebook and just then I listened to it, when I should have done the opposite.

The "new vocabulary words" from this lesson:

schijnen - to seem, to appear
zitten - to sit
(de) zorg - worry
zorgen te hebben - to worry, to have worries
zorgen voor - to take care of
elk - each
bouwen - to construct
rekenen - to calculate, to count
bezitten - to own, to possess
staan - to stand
liggen - to lie
lenen - to lend, to borrow
(de) lening - loan
verminderen - to decrease
(het) verschil - difference
waard - worth
contant - in cash
minder - less
(het) percent/procent - percent
(de) moeite - effort
de moeite waard - worth the effort
's Avonds - at the evening
Wat is er aan de hand? - What's the matter?

Uff! See what a long list?
Again, I spoke to Dutch friends on MSN and 1 new person on Livemocha chat, and I almost never used Google Translate!
My Dutch friend replied to my letter, and I could understand about 85% of it without using the dictionary! The other 15% were way too hard for me yet, but I'm proud anyway.
I also read football news on "De Telegraaf" online, like I do every week.

EDIT: I almost forgot! I've found here the Michel Thomas Dutch Advanced course! I've done all the 4 CD's, and loved it as much as the Foundations one. My grammar has improved so much, and I can notice that when chatting with Dutch friends. It seems much more logical now! Thanks MT!

RUSSIAN:

I'm feeling bad for neglecting Russian a little bit, but since my Russian classes are going to start in less than a month, I'm kind of taking it for granted right now, which I know is wrong.

Anyway, this week I reviewed some vocabulary from previous lessons, and I found hard to believe that I remembered almost 90% of it! The lesson was about motion verbs, the difference between both imperfective forms and the difference in aspect when you add the prefixes. I focused on the verbs:

ходить/идти - to go (on foot)
ездить/ехать - to go (by vehicle)
носить/нести - to take, to carry (on foot)
возить/везти - to take, to carry (by vehicle)

And their prefixes. You can use the same prefixes for pretty much all motion verbs. This is an awesome list I've just found in a website, showing how the prefixes change the verbs "ходить/идти":

входить / войти - to go in, to enter
выходить / выйти - to go out, to leave, to exit
всходить / взoйти - to go up, to ascend
доходить / дойти - to get to, to get as far as, to reach
заходить / зайти - to drop in, to stop by
обходить / обойти - to walk around, to bypass
отходить / отойти - to walk away
переходить / перейти - to go across, to turn
подходить / подойти - to approach
приходить / прийти - to arrive, to come
проходить / пройти - to go by, to go past
сходить / сойти - to go down, decend
уходить / уйти - to go from, to leave, depart

I must start with Anki right away, so I can put the longer words there to get some more practice.

Edited by fabriciocarraro on 30 January 2012 at 4:52pm

fabriciocarraro
Hexaglot
Winner TAC 2012
Brazil
Joined 4503 days ago

989 posts - 1454 votes 

Message 27 of 439
01 February 2012 at 1:37pm | IP Logged 
Another update!

RUSSIAN:

As I said on the last update, I had to start doing Anki, and I have!

Yesterday I spent most of my evening inputting verbs, adjectives and nouns from my 2 last semesters with Russian into Anki! I used my classbook as a guide, and also a "Russian Verbs" book that I have, and I was proud enough to notice that I still remembered about 85% of the meaning of the words!
Remembering all verbs was definitely the hardest part of it, but also some adjectives. I still hate how long are Russian adjectives =P But I got new words such as общительный (sociable), обрадовать (to gladden someone), удивлять (to surprise someone), etc.
My wife helped me with some meanings, and I think she's happy that I'm back with Russian. Even though she doesn't help me much (just like the guy with the Croatian wife =P), but I've been neglecting Russian for a while because of my Dutch, and she seemed glad watching me study.

On the other hand, I tried to start reading "Автостопом по галактике" (the Russian version of "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy"), a book that I really love, but I noticed that it's impossible! In the first paragraph I understood about 4 words, 5 more in the second, and so I gave up. I should maybe read it with a dictionary on the side, but at this point it seems pointless.

DUTCH:

It's getting harder and harder to meet new Dutch people on Livemocha chat. I've already talked with many of them, and most of the "new" don't ever bother answering. Does anyone know another "international" chat?

ENGLISH:

Me and my wife have been watching "How I Met Your Mother" with English subtitles for a while, and we're on the 5th season already! We're in love with this show, for me it's now the best comedy show ever, even better than Friends.
I try always to focus on the listening, but sometimes the subtitles just drag my attention. Anyway, it helps a lot to get some practice. I just get a little lost when they use some "advanced" phrasal verbs and slangs, but I always comprehend more than 90% of the episodes, thus it's ok.
I also met some Americans on Livemocha, and I hope to start chatting and specially speaking with them on Skype soon.

That's all, folks!

Edited by fabriciocarraro on 01 February 2012 at 1:41pm

Isabliss_27
Diglot
Groupie
Brazil
Joined 4533 days ago

68 posts - 74 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, English
Studies: German, Russian, Latin, French

Message 28 of 439
01 February 2012 at 5:18pm | IP Logged 
Nem sou muito fã de séries de comédia, mas HIMYM é a coisa mais engraçada que já assisti. Sempre paro pra ver umas partes quando minha irmã está assistindo. :)
Olha, se tá difícil conversar com alguém no LM, tenta o SharedTalk. É só chat ali, tanto de texto quanto áudio. Ou o Busuu. Mas o meu favorito é o Palabea. Só encontrei gente legal ali. <3

A propósito, pelo que entendi do seu primeiro post, você chegou a esse nível de russo com apenas um ano e pouco de estudo?

PS: FFVII também fez parte dos jogos que me ensinaram inglês, bons tempos... <33

fabriciocarraro
Hexaglot
Winner TAC 2012
Brazil
Joined 4503 days ago

989 posts - 1454 votes 

Message 29 of 439
01 February 2012 at 5:32pm | IP Logged 
Valeu Isa, vou tentar esses que vc falou! =)

Isso, eu estudei sozinho um tempo pra conseguir entrar no "Russo 2" na minha universidade, consegui, depois larguei, estudei sozinho mais um tempo, voltei e fiz o Russo 3 semestre passado, agora vou fazer o Russo 4 esse semestre. No total deve dar 2 anos, mas com MUITOS períodos de "largado", por isso 1 ano e pouco!

fabriciocarraro
Hexaglot
Winner TAC 2012
Brazil
Joined 4503 days ago

989 posts - 1454 votes 

Message 30 of 439
03 February 2012 at 5:04pm | IP Logged 
Update!

RUSSIAN:

I'm on the 6WC with Russian, so I'm putting more effort into it. I inputted some more words into Anki, and tried to review them once. This week I intend to practice the language, at least chatting with someone on Livemocha or SharedTalk. I'm trying Michel Thomas Advanced Russian out now, but it's not as good as the Dutch one. It's good to know that I already know everything that's being taught in it, so I'm just using it to get a little practice and also to start thinking quicker.
My wife and I tried to watch a Russian/English movie together, called "Сибирский цирюльник", but we dropped it after 20 minutes because it was kind of boring. However it was a nice practice, since the film had subtitles both in Russian (when people spoke English) and in English (when they spoke Russian). It's on youtube, divided in 7 parts!

DUTCH:

I've completed the 33th lesson from the Assimil Dutch With Ease. This time I've done everything right as the book says, the "passive wave" thing, and I've worked it out pretty well! This lesson was MUCH easier than the previous. The first times I listened to the audio without reading the transcriptions I got about 70% of what was said. After reading it once, 90%, and then 100%. =)

The "new vocabulary words" from this lesson:

verdienen - to earn
(het) feit - fact
(de) reis - trip
reizen - to travel
sparen - to save, to spare
verlangen - to desire, to long for
(het) brood - bread
(de) gezondheid - health
(de) oplossing - solution
(de) inlichtingen - information
anders - otherwise

I've also read football news on "The Telegraaf" as always. Still hard to find new Dutch people to talk to. I'm almost giving up on Livemocha, and SharedTalk doesn't have much of them.

ENGLISH:

All the same, now we're finishing the 5th season of "How I Met Your Mother".

That's all, folks!

Edited by fabriciocarraro on 03 February 2012 at 5:08pm

Isabliss_27
Diglot
Groupie
Brazil
Joined 4533 days ago

68 posts - 74 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, English
Studies: German, Russian, Latin, French

Message 31 of 439
04 February 2012 at 2:53am | IP Logged 
Eu só ia elogiar seu progresso, mas como você mencionou que tá terminando a 5ª temporada de How I Met Your Mother, tenho que dizer: The Playbook é O episódio. :DDDD

Edited by Isabliss_27 on 04 February 2012 at 2:54am

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6385 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 32 of 439
05 February 2012 at 8:48pm | IP Logged 
fabriciocarraro wrote:
On the other hand, I tried to start reading "Автостопом по галактике" (the Russian version of "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy"), a book that I really love, but I noticed that it's impossible! In the first paragraph I understood about 4 words, 5 more in the second, and so I gave up. I should maybe read it with a dictionary on the side, but at this point it seems pointless.
You could read a parallel text or try LR (should be easy to find an audiobook in Russian for free ;)) For the first 50 or so pages you can reread entire chapters first to "brush up" your knowledge of the text.

This discussion contains 439 messages over 55 pages: << Prev 1 2 35 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version