Diglot
United KingdomRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5770 days ago

1485 posts - 2002 votes 
Speaks: English*, Japanese
Studies: French, German

Message 369 of 439
19 January 2014 at 4:37pm | IP Logged 
Fabriciocarraro, I've just watched your video, and seriously, good job! At this rate I think you'll get Japanese in a fraction of the time it's taken me (and mine is still a work in progress).

I still have trouble with pronouncing katakana words correctly. A friend of mine tried so hard to get me to pronounce クラブ correctly but I still can't get it out of my mouth with correct intonation, stress and vowel sound.

Have you thought about switching from わたし to ぼく yet? It's much more natural for a guy to use ぼく, unless you're in a really formal situation.
1 person has voted this message useful

fabriciocarraro
Hexaglot
Winner TAC 2012
Brazil
russoparabrasileirosRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4503 days ago

989 posts - 1454 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, EnglishB2, Italian, Spanish, Russian, French
Studies: Dutch, German, Japanese

Message 370 of 439
26 January 2014 at 8:47pm | IP Logged 
@dampingwire So far I like Genki very much, it seems to me that it's faster than JFBP.

@Sizen Thank you! Yes, that's something I should definitely work on. Good to know about the numbers thing, thank you very much! =)

@g-bod Thank you! About the "I" thing, yes, I thinking of doing that, but many natives told me different things.
The first one I asked said I should stick to わたし, because ぼく may sound too childish, and おれ is just used among young friends.
The second one told me that わたし is used by girls, or boys in formal situations, that ぼく is used mostly by children and adolescents and that おれ would be great.
The third one said that all of them are fine.
The last said pretty much the same, that わたし is mostly for girls or for both in official situations, that ぼく is for young boys and it sounds "cute", and finally, that おれ is normal for guys.
That said, I think I'll probably start using おれ.

----

That was a reaaaally long week, guys.

I'm taking an evening programming course after work, so lately I have almost no time to study. I'm basically waking up everyday around 7h30 and getting back home by 23h~23h30. I can't even go to the CoushSurfing meeting =/ Luckily, that's just for one more week!
However, I still manage to do at least 3 JapanesePod101 podcast lessons per day, usually on the subway going to work or to my course, and I'm also making a word list based on the podcast lessons. I know it's far from enough, but that's what I can do for now....

じゃ、また!

g-bod
Diglot
United KingdomRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5770 days ago

1485 posts - 2002 votes 
Speaks: English*, Japanese
Studies: French, German

Message 371 of 439
26 January 2014 at 8:59pm | IP Logged 
fabriciocarraro wrote:

@g-bod Thank you! About the "I" thing, yes, I thinking of doing that, but many natives told me different things.
The first one I asked said I should stick to わたし, because ぼく may sound too childish, and おれ is just used among young friends.
The second one told me that わたし is used by girls, or boys in formal situations, that ぼく is used mostly by children and adolescents and that おれ would be great.
The third one said that all of them are fine.
The last said pretty much the same, that わたし is mostly for girls or for both in official situations, that ぼく is for young boys and it sounds "cute", and finally, that おれ is normal for guys.
That said, I think I'll probably start using おれ.

Talk about conflicting advice!

It's easy for me. I'm about ten years too old for あたし so I get to use わたし pretty much the whole time (never been in a situation that might require わたくし).

I would say without exception, all of the Japanese guys I've spoken to (all my kind of age, i.e. late 20s, early 30s) have used ぼく. Some of them slipped into おれ but only if significant amounts of beer had been consumed!
2 persons have voted this message useful

renaissancemedi
Bilingual Triglot
Greece
Joined 4146 days ago

941 posts - 1309 votes 
Speaks: Greek*, Ancient Greek*, EnglishC2
Studies: French, Russian, Turkish, Modern Hebrew

Message 372 of 439
27 January 2014 at 7:59am | IP Logged 
LOL, alcohol as a positive factor of international relations :)

fabriciocarraro
Hexaglot
Winner TAC 2012
Brazil
russoparabrasileirosRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4503 days ago

989 posts - 1454 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, EnglishB2, Italian, Spanish, Russian, French
Studies: Dutch, German, Japanese

Message 373 of 439
29 January 2014 at 4:18pm | IP Logged 
@g-bod Good to know! Thanks for the tips! =)

@renaissancemedi Always! lol

----

So guys, I finished my 1st book in French!!! \o/ An original book by Amélie Nothomb called "Stupeur and Tremblements", where she tells about her period working in Japan.
The book is not that long and it's very interesting and easy to read!
I coudn't understand everything, since I'm more used to a less formal language in French, but still I could go through it all getting most of it.
My friend @tarvos always told me to read her books, and I guess he'll be proud! Hahaha
4 persons have voted this message useful

geoffw
Triglot
United States
Joined 4476 days ago

1134 posts - 1865 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Yiddish
Studies: Modern Hebrew, French, Dutch, Italian, Russian

Message 374 of 439
29 January 2014 at 4:31pm | IP Logged 
Bien fait! The first one is the hardest!

Hekje
Diglot
United States
Joined 4491 days ago

842 posts - 1330 votes 
Speaks: English*, Dutch
Studies: French, Indonesian

Message 375 of 439
29 January 2014 at 5:12pm | IP Logged 
Félicitations fabriciocarraro! I remember when Tarvos was churning through all those Amélie Nothomb books. You
could form a book club. :-)

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4954 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, Norwegian, French, English, Italian, Papiamento
Studies: Mandarin, Georgian, Russian

Message 376 of 439
29 January 2014 at 11:33pm | IP Logged 
Bravo fabriciocarraro! Maybe it's time I try one of those books too, it's not the first
time tarvos recommends them =D

This discussion contains 439 messages over 55 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version