Germany
Joined 4662 days ago

1181 posts - 1912 votes 
Speaks: German*, EnglishC2, Korean
Studies: Persian

Message 97 of 457
01 January 2013 at 1:10pm | IP Logged 
JANUARY TEAM CHALLENGE

As discussed, I'd like to establish monthly challenges to make us grow closer as a team. Of course it's difficult to find appropriate challenges for a group with different target languages and proficiency levels, but I'll try to give you several options. You're free to adapt the challenges a bit to suit you, but I'd like to ask everyone to make the extra effort and take part in them. In the best case you might discover new study methods or find out that you can do more than you thought. In the worst case you'll find them useless, but still get some extra language practice. Please report back on the team thread as soon as you have completed the challenge (you always get time from the beginning until the end of the month).

The first challenge is to post a self-introduction in your target language(s) on the team thread. If you study more than one Asian language, feel free to either focus on one of them for the challenge or do a multi-lingual introduction. You can choose to either write a text or post a link to an audio or video. What you write or say and how much is up to you. Ideally, you'll do something that suits your level of proficiency and is a little challenging: If you're a total beginner, it's perfectly okay to just post 3-5 sentences, if you're quite advanced feel free to write an elaborate post/make an elaborate speech about your language studies and anything else you'd like to share. The only thing I'd like to ask of you is that you post a rough translation of your text in English so that all team mates can understand you. You have time to post your introduction until January 31.

Have fun! I'm looking forward to getting to know you all better!

Future Challenges

If you have ideas for future challenges, I'll be glad to get suggestions!

Should I post the challenges on your study logs so no one accidentally forgets about them? ;) Or is it best to just have them on the team thread?

I could put a small badge for every completed challenge behind our names on the first page - should I?

Edited by druckfehler on 01 January 2013 at 2:39pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

Vegemighty
Groupie
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4282 days ago

45 posts - 67 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Mandarin

Message 98 of 457
01 January 2013 at 2:31pm | IP Logged 
One idea for a fun challenge I had is that we can each choose a well known quote from a movie and then
post a translation in the TL. So For example : " I'll be back." 我要回米。

3 persons have voted this message useful

Bakunin
Diglot
Switzerland
outerkhmer.blogspot.
Joined 4924 days ago

531 posts - 1126 votes 
Speaks: German*, Thai
Studies: Khmer

Message 99 of 457
01 January 2013 at 2:57pm | IP Logged 
Thanks, druckfehler, for setting up challenges! I think, it's a great way to foster team spirit. I'd vote for posing the
challenges in the team thread only, that should be sufficient (I guess everybody follows the team thread anyway)
and saves you some work. I guess we're supposed to post the introduction in our individual logs, or did you intend
to collect them here?
1 person has voted this message useful

iawia
Bilingual Pentaglot
Taiwan
Joined 4383 days ago

35 posts - 55 votes 
Speaks: EnglishC2, Mandarin*, Taiwanese*, Cantonese, Spanish
Studies: Thai, Japanese

Message 100 of 457
01 January 2013 at 4:24pm | IP Logged 
Vegemighty wrote:
So For example : " I'll be back." 我要回米。

Sorry, but "to come" is "來" in traditional and "来" in simplified Chinese.(also in
Japanese kanji)
米 is rice.

Edited by iawia on 01 January 2013 at 4:25pm

3 persons have voted this message useful

Crush
Tetraglot
ChinaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5659 days ago

1622 posts - 2299 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Mandarin, Esperanto
Studies: Basque

Message 101 of 457
01 January 2013 at 4:28pm | IP Logged 
It would also be nice if the challenges were posted on the front page, as otherwise they may tend to get lost before people find them. Other ideas for challenges might be:
-like Vegemighty's idea, but more general: translating a short text (or a fable) either to or from your TL
-provide a summary of a short story/article, either in English or in your TL

I've always liked the idea of a book club, though it might be a bit more complicated to set up. Maybe people studying the same language could set something up together?
2 persons have voted this message useful

druckfehler
Triglot
Germany
Joined 4662 days ago

1181 posts - 1912 votes 
Speaks: German*, EnglishC2, Korean
Studies: Persian

Message 102 of 457
01 January 2013 at 5:09pm | IP Logged 
Thanks for your great suggestions! I've noted them down for the future :)

Bakunin wrote:
I guess we're supposed to post the introduction in our individual logs, or did you intend to collect them here?

I think it would be nice to collect all of them on the team thread, so it's easy to find all of them later, but it's fine if you post them both here and on your personal logs.

Crush wrote:
It would also be nice if the challenges were posted on the front page, as otherwise they may tend to get lost before people find them.

Very true. I've put the January challenge on the front page and will update it to always display the current one, as well as posting it as a comment.

Crush wrote:
I've always liked the idea of a book club, though it might be a bit more complicated to set up. Maybe people studying the same language could set something up together?

I like that idea! I'm planning to read as many books as I can in Korean this year, so I'd be up for a book club. The only problem is that it might be difficult to easily get the books in our different countries (unfortunately in Germany I can only get a rather limited selection of Korean books for a reasonable price). Maybe it would be easier if we find some reading material online that can be easily accessed by everyone. I've also got an idea for a reading challenge later in the year, maybe that could be connected to book club activities.

Edited by druckfehler on 01 January 2013 at 5:12pm

Bakunin
Diglot
Switzerland
outerkhmer.blogspot.
Joined 4924 days ago

531 posts - 1126 votes 
Speaks: German*, Thai
Studies: Khmer

Message 103 of 457
01 January 2013 at 8:40pm | IP Logged 
Arrgh! I tried to post my introduction only to discover that the forum messes up long Thai sentences. It inserts
spaces every so often (Thai doesn't use spaces to indicate word boundaries, so some segments can become quite
long, as long as a sentence). I think it's the same mechanism that chops up links. Not sure what to do about it...

Hidden Linguist
Groupie
United Kingdom
Joined 4153 days ago

64 posts - 87 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, Spanish, Mandarin, Sign Language, French

Message 104 of 457
01 January 2013 at 8:59pm | IP Logged 
I think that's a great challenge to start off the TAC with.

I'll sit down later and have a go at writing up a little introduction for myself in Mandarin. It will be pretty basic I'm afraid, but I should at least be able to put something together.

As far as other challenges go, I think it would be interesting to have a similar challenge at the end of the year, so we can all look back, compare what we are able to write now with what we are capable of at the end, and see the progress we've all made.

This discussion contains 457 messages over 58 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version