Tetraglot
HungaryRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4842 days ago

249 posts - 276 votes 
Speaks: Hungarian*, EnglishB2, GermanB2, Japanese

Message 105 of 457
02 January 2013 at 12:25am | IP Logged 
Bakunin wrote:
Arrgh! I tried to post my introduction only to discover that the forum messes up long Thai sentences. It inserts
spaces every so often [...] Not sure what to do about it...

Read this
If you don't feel like reading much, though, just insert one space per 20 character (like you write 我 20 times, then give it a space). You can insert it more often, too, but never less often.
3 persons have voted this message useful

picnick
Triglot
Canada
Joined 4143 days ago

22 posts - 33 votes
Speaks: Tagalog, English*, Spanish
Studies: Korean, Mandarin

Message 106 of 457
02 January 2013 at 2:11am | IP Logged 
Forgot to post that my log is now up! http://how-to-learn-any-
language.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=34815&PN=1
1 person has voted this message useful

Evita
Tetraglot
Latvia
learnlatvian.info
Joined 6346 days ago

734 posts - 1036 votes 
Speaks: Latvian*, English, German, Russian
Studies: Korean, Finnish

Message 107 of 457
02 January 2013 at 9:46am | IP Logged 
I have a practical question about the January challenge. Which Korean ending (politeness form) should I use to write such a text?

Bakunin
Diglot
Switzerland
outerkhmer.blogspot.
Joined 4924 days ago

531 posts - 1126 votes 
Speaks: German*, Thai
Studies: Khmer

Message 108 of 457
02 January 2013 at 10:19am | IP Logged 
Takato wrote:
Bakunin wrote:
Arrgh! I tried to post my introduction only to discover that the forum messes
up long Thai sentences. It inserts
spaces every so often [...] Not sure what to do about it...

Read
this

If you don't feel like reading much, though, just insert one space per 20 character (like you write 我 20 times, then
give it a space). You can insert it more often, too, but never less often.

I see. Seems to be a general problem. Thai with too many (and inappropriately placed) spaces looks strange, but I
guess the same is true for Japanese.

Edited by Bakunin on 02 January 2013 at 10:30am

Bakunin
Diglot
Switzerland
outerkhmer.blogspot.
Joined 4924 days ago

531 posts - 1126 votes 
Speaks: German*, Thai
Studies: Khmer

Message 109 of 457
02 January 2013 at 10:53am | IP Logged 
January challenge - someone has to go first… and I happened to have time yesterday afternoon. My text lacks a bit
of structure, I guess. I got corrections on lang-8, but they were minor and my text is a good example of what I can
write 'just so'. I've decided not to insert random spaces every 20 characters but leave it to HTLAL to chop it up - it'll
look weird either way. I also have to admit that I don't know how to 'challenge' myself since I don't use (bilingual)
dictionaries or textbooks at all; I just use what comes to my mind, what is there already. So I have to reinterpret the
word 'challenge' with 'spend time on a given topic/activity'. I certainly spend too little time on writing, so I'm glad
this first challenge gave me the opportunity to write a bit. So here's what I had already posted yesterday:

สวัสดีครับ ผมชื่ออันเตรย์ครับ เกิดที่ประเทศเยอรมัน ตะวันออก ในปี พ.ศ. ๒๕๓๐ ตอนที่ผมยังเป็นเด็ก ครอบครัวของผมต้องย้า ยออกจาก
เยอรมันตะวันออกไปเยอ รมันตะวันตก ช่วงนั้นประเทศเยอรมั นตะวันออกยังเป็นประเ ทศคอมมิวนิสต์
ส่วนพ่อแม่เป็นฝ่ายค้ านและต้องออกจากประเท ศในที่สุด เราย้ายไปประเทศเยอรม ันตะวันตก แล้วก็พ่อแม่ต้องเริ่ มชีวิตใหม่ พวกเราต้องเริ่มจาก
ศูนย์ เพราะว่ารัฐบาลคอมมิว นิสต์ไม่ให้เอาอะไรไป ด้วย สองปีต่อมา ประเทศเยอรมันตะวันออ กก็ล้มเหลวลง จากนั้นทั้งสองประเทศ เข้ามารวม
เป็นประเทศเดียวกัน ผมได้เรียนวิชาคณิตศา สตร์ที่มหาวิทยาลัยไฮ เดลแบร์ก
พอเรียนจบแล้ว ผมก็มาประเทศสวิสฯ เรียนต่อในระดับปริญญ าเอก พอเรียนที่สวิสฯ จบแล้ว ผมก็ไปเที่ยวทั่วโลกห นึ่งปี ไปทำงานที่ประเทศ
ออสเตรเลียครึ่งปี แล้วกลับมาสวิสฯ อีกครั้ง ตอนนี้ผมทำงานอยู่ในบ ริษัทประกันภัยต่อ
การประกันภัยต่อ คือ การประกันของบริษัทปร ะกัน ส่วนใหญ่เราประกันควา มเสี่ยงที่ร้ายแรงมาก ที่สุด อย่างเช่น น้ำท่วม แผ่นดินไหว
ดาวเทียมระเบิด หรือ ไข้หวัดใหญ่ สมัยผมเป็นนักเรียน ผมไม่ได้สนใจเรื่องภา ษาเลย พูดได้แต่ภาษาเยอรมัน เพียงอย่างเดียว แต่เวลาเรียนมหา
ลัย ผมก็เริ่มสนใจภาษาต่า งประเทศบ้าง และได้เห็นว่าการเรีย นภาษามันสนุก น่าสนใจ และให้โอกาสได้รู้จัก วัฒนธรรมอื่นๆ ด้วย พอมาประ
เทศสวิสฯ แล้ว ผมต้องเรียนอีกสองภาษ า คือ เยอรมันสวิสฯ กับฝรั่งเศส เพราะต้องใช้ในชีวิตป ระจำวัน และต้องเก่งภาษาอังกฤ ษด้วย เพราะ
ต้องใช้ในบริษัททุกวั น สมัยผมเป็นนักศึกษา ผมก็เริ่มเรียนภาษาอื ่นบ้าง อย่างเช่น ภาษาโปแลนด์ ฮังการี และ จีน แต่ในที่สุดผมต้องยอม รับว่า
ไม่ได้สนใจวัฒนธรรมขอ งประเทศทั้งสามนั้นเล ย และเลิกเรียนแล้ว ส่วนภาษาไทย ซึ่งผมเรียนสามปีครึ่ งแล้ว ภาษาไทยเป็นภาษาแรกที ่ผมได้
เรียนโดยไม่ได้ใช้พจน านุกรมหรือการแปลเลย ผมอยากเห็นว่าการเรีย นภาษาโดยไม่ใช้การแปล เป็นไปได้หรือเปล่า มันช้าแค่ไหน เราเก่งได้
หรือเปล่า มีเพื่อนๆ และธุรกิจเล็กๆ ที่ประเทศไทยแล้ว ชอบคนไทย อาหารไทย และวัฒนธรรมไทยมาก
แล้วก็ผมหวังว่าผมจะส ามารถเรียนภาษาไทยได้ ถึงขั้นเก่งนะครับ นอกจากการเรียนภาษาไท ย ผมก็ชอบไปเที่ยวต่างป ระเทศ ชอบเดินเขา ปั่น
จักรยานเสื้อที่ภูเขา และไปเล่นสกีกับเพื่อ นๆ

Hi, I'm Bakunin. I was born in East Germany. I was still a child when my family moved to West Germany in 1987. At
this time, East Germany was a communist state, and my parents were dissidents who eventually had to leave the
country. In West Germany, we had to start from scratch because East Germany wouldn't allow us to take anything
with us. Two years later, East Germany collapsed and the two Germanys united. I studied mathematics in
Heidelberg, and then went to Switzerland to continue my studies. After graduation, I traveled the world for a year,
worked for half a year in Australia, and then returned to Switzerland. I work in reinsurance now. Reinsurance is the
insurance of insurance companies. Usually, we insure the most extreme risks, like floods, earthquakes, satellite
failure or pandemics. When I was a student at school, I wasn't interested in languages at all. German was all I knew.
But when I studied at university, I began to develop an interest in other languages. When I came to Switzerland, I
had to learn two new languages, Swiss German and French, because I needed them in daily life. I also needed to
improve my English because I would use it at work. During that time, I dabbled in various other languages like
Polish, Hungarian and Chinese, but in the end I had to admit that I wasn't interested in the cultures of those
countries and quit. I've been learning Thai for three and a half years now. Thai is the first language I've been
learning without using dictionaries and translation. I was interested to see whether this is possible at all, how long
it takes, and whether I would become proficient. Now, I've got already friends and a small business in Thailand. I
like Thai people, the food, and the culture, and I hope that I can keep learning Thai and reach proficiency. Apart
from learning Thai, I enjoy traveling, hiking and mountain biking in the Alps, and skiing with friends.
7 persons have voted this message useful

vermillon
Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4472 days ago

602 posts - 1042 votes 
Speaks: French*, EnglishC2, Mandarin
Studies: Japanese, German

Message 110 of 457
02 January 2013 at 12:10pm | IP Logged 
2nd of the month and you've completed the challenge already.. wow. :)

Thanks druckfehler for organizing this. I don't know how I'll manage the challenge, but I find it quite inspiring! Hopefully I'll be brave enough to post a video in my multiple languages...

@all team members: can you have the name of the team in your log title, please? that makes finding you much easier... (and please use the traditional version provided in the team name, not the simplified character)

druckfehler
Triglot
Germany
Joined 4662 days ago

1181 posts - 1912 votes 
Speaks: German*, EnglishC2, Korean
Studies: Persian

Message 111 of 457
02 January 2013 at 10:09pm | IP Logged 
Bakunin, that was fast! Very interesting introduction, too! Reading about hiking in the Alps makes me want to go on a holiday :D

Evita wrote:
I have a practical question about the January challenge. Which Korean ending (politeness form) should I use to write such a text?

I think the -요 ending would be most appropriate if you imagine us as an audience. -입니다 is uber-formal (although it is usually used for telling people your name as in 저는 레나테라고 합니다 and then people continue with -요).

vermillon, I'm all for videos! :) Having said that, I'm only planning to post an audio-file (too camera-shy), hopefully saying 3 understandable sentences in Mandarin and a lot of nonsense Korean :)

Badges for Completed Challenges

This idea is growing on me the more I think about it. It seems like the Chinese zodiac can also be associated with months (wikipedia for more info), so I'd like to add the characters for the animals behind our names on the first page after every completed challenge. For January we would get an ox 牛. Maybe it's an extra motivation and I'm sure it's nice to look back on those "badges" (a whole zoo of animals...) at the end of the year. Any vetoes? ;)

Edited by druckfehler on 02 January 2013 at 10:32pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

js6426
Diglot
Cambodia
Joined 4314 days ago

277 posts - 349 votes 
Speaks: English*, Khmer
Studies: Mandarin

Message 112 of 457
03 January 2013 at 2:27am | IP Logged 
vermillon wrote:

@all team members: can you have the name of the team in your log title, please? that makes finding you
much easier... (and please use the traditional version provided in the team name, not the simplified character)

How do we edit the title of our log after we have already created it? I tried to do it the other day but couldn't figure
it out!

This discussion contains 457 messages over 58 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version