United Kingdom
Joined 4472 days ago

602 posts - 1042 votes 
Speaks: French*, EnglishC2, Mandarin
Studies: Japanese, German

Message 201 of 457
27 January 2013 at 11:05am | IP Logged 
druckfehler wrote:
I wouldn't call it convenient, but you can find the official list (8 pdfs) on my blog (first post).

I wouldn't call it convenient either, but I'll have a look at that, and if I get motivated enough, I'll try to make it into a better formatted list. I was also wondering what was the overlap of the intermediate level and the "B" list of K6000..

druckfehler wrote:
Just don't get burned out! We need you here :)

I'll keep that last advice as well as my money, I guess. I prefer to learn more slowly and still be there in twelve months, my knowledge will definitely be more robust, and above all, I'll get time to do things I actually enjoy in Korean (reading!) rather than cramming huge amounts of vocabulary (which I like, but make me burn out).
1 person has voted this message useful

billyshears66
Groupie
United States
Joined 4308 days ago

69 posts - 78 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Mandarin

Message 202 of 457
27 January 2013 at 2:20pm | IP Logged 
So here is my January Challenge: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uCZaePYk9FA

I added annotations to the video. You can turn them on to see what I think I said.

I wanted to only write something, but I'm really trying to get over my anxiety of
talking to people. So I figured I'd record a video. This was very scary, I can't even
watch it without shaking a little... knowing other people are gonna see it. I showed my
wife last night, and she could tell I was extremely nervous. This was like the 50th
take. I kept telling myself to slow down, but in the end I can see how rushed it was.

I wrote out what I wanted to say. Practiced it a little bit. I then had the English
only written on a white board for me to look at while I recorded it. Some words I had
just looked up that morning. I'm not really sure if I used them correctly... any help
would be wonderful. I was going to let my friend (who is from China) read it first to
see if it was correct, but I didn't get it ready in time for her to see it.

Here is what I tried to say (I underlined what I learned in the morning and I'm not
sure of):

Hi. My name is Chris. I'm American. My beautiful wife is Jenny. We have three
sons. They are very young. We live in Massachusetts. I like to fly, but I do not fly
anymore
. I also like to read and brew beer. I can speak a little Mandarin. I
don't speak well. Thank you. Goodbye.

你好。我叫Chris。我是美国人。我美丽的太太J enny。我们有三个儿子。他们很小。我们住在Ma ssachusetts。
我喜欢飞可是我不飞不起来了。我也喜欢阅读 和酿造啤酒。我会说一点普通话。我说的不好 。谢谢。再见。

I learned that I really do need to practice speaking A LOT more. Any comments, good or
bad, are welcome. I don't mind being picked apart...

3 persons have voted this message useful

billyshears66
Groupie
United States
Joined 4308 days ago

69 posts - 78 votes 

Message 203 of 457
27 January 2013 at 2:43pm | IP Logged 
Also, a suggestion. Would it be possible, or even helpful to others, to put a
consolidated list/links on the first page of this thread for all the Challenges. i.e. a
place where we can all go to quickly find each others completed challenges.

I just finished my challenge, and haven't yet watched/listened/read the others yet. I've
seen them here and there in individual threads and team threads, but didn't really look
at them yet. Now that I finally finished, I want to go back and devote time to them. It
would just be easier to have one place to go to look for them instead of going through
pages of posts to find them.

Anyone else think this would be good? Is it even doable?

js6426
Diglot
Cambodia
Joined 4314 days ago

277 posts - 349 votes 
Speaks: English*, Khmer

Message 204 of 457
27 January 2013 at 3:03pm | IP Logged 
Billy - great into, and well done for having the kahunas to do a video! I think your idea is great, but not sure if it is
doable or not!

billyshears66
Groupie
United States
Joined 4308 days ago

69 posts - 78 votes 

Message 205 of 457
27 January 2013 at 3:09pm | IP Logged 
js6426 wrote:
Billy - great into, and well done for having the kahunas to do a video!

Thanks! I'm still cringing at the fact that its out there... but, I just have to keep
telling my self "What is the worse that will happen? People will know I suck? They will
make fun of me?"

Quoting a well read author in my house "Be who you are and say what you feel, because
those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." - Dr. Seuss

druckfehler
Triglot
Germany
Joined 4662 days ago

1181 posts - 1912 votes 
Speaks: German*, EnglishC2, Korean
Studies: Persian

Message 206 of 457
27 January 2013 at 3:32pm | IP Logged 
As I said in your log, I think the video is great! I can't judge whether your Mandarin sucks or not, it did sound pretty good to me. Besides, there is no one who sucks at a language they are learning - or everyone who isn't at native-speaker level yet sucks, depending on your definition.

billyshears66 wrote:
Would it be possible, or even helpful to others, to put a consolidated list/links on the first page of this thread for all the Challenges. i.e. a place where we can all go to quickly find each others completed challenges.

This is definitely a good suggestion. Although it seems possible, I don't know how to link to specific posts, only to pages. I'll look into it.

vermillon wrote:
I'll try to make it into a better formatted list. I was also wondering what was the overlap of the intermediate level and the "B" list of K6000..

I'm making an Anki deck for all the nouns with example sentence and pictures (I'm up to ㅂ so far). I uploaded and linked to the first part somewhere in my log and plan to do the same for the following parts. I don't know whether I'll actually finish this project, though...

Edited by druckfehler on 27 January 2013 at 3:33pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

druckfehler
Triglot
Germany
Joined 4662 days ago

1181 posts - 1912 votes 
Speaks: German*, EnglishC2, Korean
Studies: Persian

Message 207 of 457
27 January 2013 at 4:17pm | IP Logged 
List of Challenge Entries

I've added links to everyone's completed January Challenge on the first page. They are right under the January Challenge description. Now it's easy to go back and look at everyone's posts for the challenge again. Thanks for the idea, billy!

By now 10 out of our 21 members have completed the challenge. I hope the rest of you will give me some work linking to your entries in the next 4 days :)
4 persons have voted this message useful

Evita
Tetraglot
Latvia
learnlatvian.info
Joined 6346 days ago

734 posts - 1036 votes 
Speaks: Latvian*, English, German, Russian
Studies: Korean, Finnish

Message 208 of 457
27 January 2013 at 6:10pm | IP Logged 
Quote:
I'm making an Anki deck for all the nouns with example sentence and pictures (I'm up to ㅂ so far). I uploaded and linked to the first part somewhere in my log and plan to do the same for the following parts. I don't know whether I'll actually finish this project, though...

I got your deck, it seemed very good but I've switched to Anki 2 since then. Maybe you have too? I'd love to get the new version of your deck.

Quote:
By now 10 out of our 21 members have completed the challenge. I hope the rest of you will give me some work linking to your entries in the next 4 days :)

I wanted to do it today but I won't be able to. I was reading the text from my textbook out loud today and I don't want to upload it yet, I need to practice more. I'm a bit of a perfectionist so it's difficult for me to make public something that I know is not very good. Maybe 3 days will make a difference. In any case, I'm working on it.

This discussion contains 457 messages over 58 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version