Triglot
Germany
Joined 4662 days ago

1181 posts - 1912 votes 
Speaks: German*, EnglishC2, Korean
Studies: Persian

Message 41 of 457
17 December 2012 at 12:49am | IP Logged 
Welcome, Takato! Why should we not be delighted to have a new team member? It's great to see that the team log inspired you to make Mandarin/Japanese a priority. Many of us seem to be on 2-3 teams. Just make sure that you still have time to study after reading all the logs of your many teammates ;)

I love the idea of a Nine-Tailed Fox / 구미호 team! :) Aurora is also quite nice. I think "faraway" isn't specific enough and kind of problematic for those on our team who are actually studying their languages in China or Korea. But I also wouldn't mind being called "the Asian team" and I'll probably only be able to fit a single character in my log title... Maybe we should have a poll or something of the sort.
3 persons have voted this message useful

js6426
Diglot
Cambodia
Joined 4314 days ago

277 posts - 349 votes 
Speaks: English*, Khmer
Studies: Mandarin

Message 42 of 457
17 December 2012 at 5:46am | IP Logged 
Hi there. I'd love to become a member of this team if possible? I would be studying Mandarin and I am at a very
basic level, I don't know if i'd even qualify as a beginner right now, but I want that to change of course!
1 person has voted this message useful

Evita
Tetraglot
Latvia
learnlatvian.info
Joined 6346 days ago

734 posts - 1036 votes 
Speaks: Latvian*, English, German, Russian
Studies: Korean, Finnish

Message 43 of 457
17 December 2012 at 6:58am | IP Logged 
I like the Nine-Tailed Fox idea as well but it might be too long to include in some log titles. Maybe it could be shortened to NTF in the titles?

js6426: I think there are some free spots left so welcome to our team! Be sure to also sign up in the main/official TAC 2013 thread that's stickied at the top.

vermillon
Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4472 days ago

602 posts - 1042 votes 
Speaks: French*, EnglishC2, Mandarin
Studies: Japanese, German

Message 44 of 457
17 December 2012 at 7:20am | IP Logged 
In log titles, it can be reduced to 구미호 or 九尾狐 (perhaps more "international" within the sphere of Asian languages)? Or NTF if need be, I just suppose that in log titles it's good to use something that sticks out: typically I see the list of logs and skim very rapidly through them, so if I can look for some Chinese characters rather than some Latin alphabet, it saves me time (or rather, I wouldn't bother scanning the list all the time for a particular Latin alphabet string).

In log titles, it serves merely as a visual identifier, doesn't it?

druckfehler
Triglot
Germany
Joined 4662 days ago

1181 posts - 1912 votes 

Message 45 of 457
17 December 2012 at 10:20am | IP Logged 
Welcome js6426! It's great not to be the only total beginner with Mandarin :) I think everyone else here has been studying for a while.

Individual Logs

Everyone, please post links to the log(s) you're going to use for TAC 2013 as soon as you have the log, so I can update the list.

Edited by druckfehler on 17 December 2012 at 10:27am

Warp3
United States
forum_posts.asp?TID=
Joined 5329 days ago

1419 posts - 1766 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, Korean, Japanese

Message 46 of 457
17 December 2012 at 12:41pm | IP Logged 
As I noted in my own log, I'm not planning to participate in TAC for 2013. I'm really glad I did so for 2012, but if I do any challenges in 2013, I think I'd rather them be short-term challenges instead.

Regardless, I have been following this thread thus far and I do plan to keep up with the logs of the various participants. Best of luck to all of you.

Takato
Tetraglot
HungaryRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4842 days ago

249 posts - 276 votes 
Speaks: Hungarian*, EnglishB2, GermanB2, Japanese

Message 47 of 457
17 December 2012 at 5:33pm | IP Logged 
I'm also with vermillon regarding the Team name.
By the way when should we do the introduction videos?

Edited by Takato on 17 December 2012 at 10:07pm

druckfehler
Triglot
Germany
Joined 4662 days ago

1181 posts - 1912 votes 

Message 48 of 457
17 December 2012 at 11:18pm | IP Logged 
Takato wrote:
I'm also with vermillon regarding the Team name.

Asian sign? The longer I think about it, the more I agree. Whoever is curious can just go to the team log and have a look what it means.

Takato wrote:
By the way when should we do the introduction videos?

Videos? Well, videos would certainly be nice! :) Actually, I feel like doing a video introducing myself in Korean, I just don't know where to upload it, because I'm slightly uncomfortable with floating around on youtube... I was thinking more along the lines of an introductory text (for beginners: include something in your target language, even if it's only a greeting and "I am ..."; for intermediate upwards: write the whole thing in your target language with a rough English translation so everyone understands what you wrote). We could make videos/audio files optional, I like the idea.

For now the team challenges looks something like this in my head: A new challenge will be posted on the first of each month. Then everyone has time until the end of the month to complete the challenge and post their result (or report on how it went) on the team thread. The introduction in your target language would be the challenge for January, so it should be posted between Jan 1-31.

I'd also suggest that we treat the team challenges as a fairly open event. I think everyone on the team should try hard to complete them, but I think it would be nice to open them to other learners of our languages as well - if they feel like participating. Sound okay?

Edited by druckfehler on 17 December 2012 at 11:24pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 457 messages over 58 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 57 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version