Triglot
Germany
Joined 4662 days ago

1181 posts - 1912 votes 
Speaks: German*, EnglishC2, Korean
Studies: Persian

Message 121 of 457
08 January 2013 at 8:16pm | IP Logged 
vermillon, if I don't see a "challenging" introduction from you by the end of the month you're really in trouble ;) I know it's meant as an encouragement, but js6426 and Hidden Linguist have certainly completed the challenge with what they posted (and I will definitely be posting less in Mandarin...). The only hard rule is to post something.

js6426 and Hidden Linguist, if you feel like posting more by the end of the month you're very welcome to do so, but generally I think the introductions you posted are perfectly acceptable. It's your call to decide how much you can write and what "challenging" means in your case.
1 person has voted this message useful

vermillon
Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4472 days ago

602 posts - 1042 votes 
Speaks: French*, EnglishC2, Mandarin
Studies: Japanese, German

Message 122 of 457
08 January 2013 at 8:23pm | IP Logged 
Haha, definitely, I hope I'll be up to your expectations ;)

I certainly meant it as an encouragement to do more. There's no money involved, and you won't get a medal either for "completing" the challenge.. so your only glory is to do your best. The goal of these challenges is to push us a bit further, as you progress more when you stretch yourself.

Druck, don't try to find yourself an excuse to post only two sentences in Mandarin!

js6426
Diglot
Cambodia
Joined 4314 days ago

277 posts - 349 votes 
Speaks: English*, Khmer
Studies: Mandarin

Message 123 of 457
09 January 2013 at 4:27am | IP Logged 
vermillon wrote:
Haha, definitely, I hope I'll be up to your expectations ;)

I certainly meant it as an encouragement to do more. There's no money involved, and you won't get a medal either
for "completing" the challenge.. so your only glory is to do your best. The goal of these challenges is to push us a
bit further, as you progress more when you stretch yourself.

Druck, don't try to find yourself an excuse to post only two sentences in Mandarin!

Thank you for the encouragement! I certainly feel I could say something more complex than what I wrote, but my
issue is that even with what I have already written down, I couldn't yet fully reproduce it because I don't know all
the characters. I didn't want to write down something that is completely out of my ability to actually write, for me
this challenge was more focused on using some of the characters that I have just learnt, not my vocabulary

Leurre
Bilingual Pentaglot
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5219 days ago

219 posts - 372 votes 
Speaks: French*, English*, Korean, Haitian Creole, SpanishC2
Studies: Japanese

Message 124 of 457
09 January 2013 at 4:45am | IP Logged 
js6426 wrote:
vermillon wrote:
Haha, definitely, I hope I'll be up to your
expectations ;)

I certainly meant it as an encouragement to do more. There's no money involved, and you
won't get a medal either
for "completing" the challenge.. so your only glory is to do your best. The goal of
these challenges is to push us a
bit further, as you progress more when you stretch yourself.

Thank you for the encouragement! I certainly feel I could say something more complex
than what I wrote, but my
issue is that even with what I have already written down, I couldn't yet fully
reproduce it because I don't know all
the characters. I didn't want to write down something that is completely out of my
ability to actually write, for me
this challenge was more focused on using some of the characters that I have just
learnt, not my vocabulary

This is my problem (悩みこと) too! I'm not sure to what extent I should go beyond my
capabilities in posting an introduction. I think I'll end up towing the line and doing
something that's a little beyond my current capacities, or just include new words and
phrases that I've been working on...

druckfehler
Triglot
Germany
Joined 4662 days ago

1181 posts - 1912 votes 

Message 125 of 457
09 January 2013 at 9:29pm | IP Logged 
A convenient way around that issue would be to post a sound file or video ;)

I definitely plan to say more in Korean, but in Mandarin I guess there will only be a few sentences.

vermillon
Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4472 days ago

602 posts - 1042 votes 
Speaks: French*, EnglishC2, Mandarin
Studies: Japanese, German

Message 126 of 457
09 January 2013 at 9:54pm | IP Logged 
Excellent suggestion :)

I've only been working on my Minnanhua presentation, but I'll do my best to do a presentation in all of my languages (but Classical Chinese). Hopefully my best will be acceptable, and I hope to get a chance to do Breton as well, and possibly to get some of my other-team mates to join in!

____
Unrelated questions to Korean students: do you guys know if the lists of vocabulary available on topikguide.com have anything official? They seem to differ greatly from KEV6000, and I'd like to have your opinion on these two lists: is one closer than the other to the TOPIK's requirement? And as for real life, is any of the two better (less obscure vocabulary)?

Also, do you guys know of a list of grammar items for the Intermediate TOPIK? Seeing as my vocabulary from last year is coming back much faster than I thought (should be able to retrieve the 2100 words by early February), I thought I could try to push myself a bit and take it in April... who knows, with a bit of luck I may come out with a level 3... or at least, a better idea of how far I am for next year.

Brun Ugle
Diglot
Norway
brunugle.wordpress.c
Joined 6414 days ago

1292 posts - 1766 votes 
Speaks: English*, NorwegianC1
Studies: Japanese, Esperanto, Spanish, Finnish

Message 127 of 457
12 January 2013 at 8:31am | IP Logged 
The Real CZ has withdrawn from his teams and will be doing an individual TAC instead.

druckfehler
Triglot
Germany
Joined 4662 days ago

1181 posts - 1912 votes 

Message 128 of 457
12 January 2013 at 12:08pm | IP Logged 
Sad to see you leave the team, The Real CZ. Let us know if you should happen to change your mind ;)

This discussion contains 457 messages over 58 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version