Cambodia
Joined 4314 days ago

277 posts - 349 votes 
Speaks: English*, Khmer
Studies: Mandarin

Message 225 of 457
29 January 2013 at 1:59am | IP Logged 
Hidden Linguist wrote:

I'm not sure how to upload an audio file. I see that some of you have used soundcloud. Is that easy enough to use?

Yeah it's really straightforward
1 person has voted this message useful

Hidden Linguist
Groupie
United Kingdom
Joined 4153 days ago

64 posts - 87 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, Spanish, Mandarin, Sign Language, French

Message 226 of 457
31 January 2013 at 3:25pm | IP Logged 
I've just had to withdraw from the 6WC. :(

Real life has reared it's ugly head and I'm having to make some really difficult decisions about prioritizing things, so languages are going to have to take a backseat for a while.

I have a lot of pressures that I have to deal with at the moment and I just can't justify adding the 6WC to it.

Oh well...maybe things will have quieted down enough for me to take part in the next one. :)

At least I can still take part in the TAC with this wonderful team. :)

druckfehler
Triglot
Germany
Joined 4662 days ago

1181 posts - 1912 votes 
Speaks: German*, EnglishC2, Korean
Studies: Persian

Message 227 of 457
31 January 2013 at 6:28pm | IP Logged 
That's unfortunate, but there will be more 6WCs this year, so it's not a big deal. If you want to participate in one, I'm sure it'll work out in May, August or November. In the meantime, good luck annihilating the ugly head of real life ;)

I'm glad you're staying on the team!

Evita
Tetraglot
Latvia
learnlatvian.info
Joined 6346 days ago

734 posts - 1036 votes 
Speaks: Latvian*, English, German, Russian
Studies: Korean, Finnish

Message 228 of 457
31 January 2013 at 9:51pm | IP Logged 
This is my January challenge entry. It was more difficult to do than I had anticipated. Although I've been studying Korean for nearly a year now, I've been focusing heavily on passive skills and haven't had practically any writing or speaking practice - no classes, no chats of any kind.

Here's my self-introduction in Korean:

안녕하세요? 제 이름은 에비타예요. 저는 81년 생이에요. 저 라트비아 사람이에요. 리가에서 살아요. 저는 소프트웨어 검사자예요. 대학생 더 이상 아니에요. 컴퓨터 공학 학위가 있어요. 제 취미가 언어 공부하고 자전거를 타기하고 테니스를 보기예요.

Translation: Hello! My name is Evita. I'm 31 years old. I'm Latvian. I live in Riga. I'm a software tester. I'm not a student anymore. I have a degree in computer science. My hobbies are studying languages, riding a bike and watching tennis.

I'd appreciate any corrections to my text above.

As an additional challenge, I recorded a text from my textbook because I think it's nice to give my teammates an idea about my level. I practiced reading this text about 7-8 times during the last week and the numbers in it even more. Here is the result. I'm not proud of it because I know it's not good so I'd appreciate it if you didn't give me any advice regarding speaking. I don't want to know how bad it is, I'll work on it anyway.
7 persons have voted this message useful

Silbermond
Diglot
Groupie
United Kingdom
xuexisprachen.wordprRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4150 days ago

64 posts - 79 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Mandarin, Italian, Spanish

Message 229 of 457
31 January 2013 at 11:27pm | IP Logged 
Eeee, I actually got mine done in time (despite my ever-present procrastination!) :D. Thank you, druckfehler, for the tip about using the Korean keyboard on google translate as well! It's better than what I had been doing (changing the one on my phone and then staring between my phone and my laptop as I scoured for the letters I needed...).

It's not very long, but it did take me quite a while. I've not written in Mandarin like this for a while, so it was certainly challenging :).

안녕하세요! 저는 샬롯 입니다. 저는 영국인 입니다. 저는 학생 입니다.

你们好!我叫夏洛特(这是我英语的名字), 我中文的名字是月如。我是英国人,我说英语 和德语。在我的大学我学习汉语和德语。我现 在在德国,可是二月二十四日我去北京。我也 学习韩语俄语,可是我觉得这些语言是不太容 易。因为我希望当翻译,所以我学习很多语言 。我学习很多,可是我也喜欢看电影还是看书 。我真喜欢书。我是孩子的时候,我要当作家 ,可是现在我不知道是否我会不会。我知道这 个介绍不太长,这个星期我有很多考试,我很 忙。很高兴,认识你们!

Korean: Hello! I'm Charlotte. I'm English. I'm a student.

Mandarin: Hello everyone! I'm called Charlotte (that's my English name), my Chinese name is 'Yue Ru'. I'm English, I speak English and German. I study German and Mandarin at my university. At the moment, I'm in Germany, but on the 24th of February I'm going to Beijing. I also study Korean and Russian, but I think that these languages aren't too easy. I study a lot of languages because I hope to become a translator. I study a lot, but I also like to watch films and read books. I really like books. When I was a child, I wanted to be an author, but now I don't know whether I will or not. I know this introduction isn't very long, this week I had a lot of exams, I've been very busy. It's nice to meet you all!
5 persons have voted this message useful

LittleBoy
Diglot
Groupie
United Kingdom
Joined 5104 days ago

84 posts - 100 votes 
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: German, Spanish, Mandarin, Esperanto

Message 230 of 457
01 February 2013 at 12:21am | IP Logged 
Well, I started this weeks ago to make sure I would be fine, was going to sort it on Sunday then spent most of the day ill in bed. C'est la vie. With under an hour left in January (where I am), here goes:

大家好!我叫Rob(没有中文的名字)。我目前 十九岁,所以我属鸡,我七月就二十岁了。我 是英国人,我来自一座西米德兰兹的城,伯明 翰附近。我现在是大学生,我学数学(我更喜 欢纯粹数学)。我空闲的时候我喜欢学外国语 ,弹吉他,写东西。我说英语和我学法语,西 班牙语,世界语。啊,当然,我也学中文,但 是我的中文还不太好。什么说?。。。很高兴 认识你们. 再见!
Hello everyone! I'm Rob (I don't have a Chinese name). I'm 19, so I'm a rooster*, I'll be 20 in July. I'm English, I come from a West Midlands town, near Birmingham. I'm currently a university student, studying maths (I prefer pure maths). In my free time, I like to learn foreign languages, play guitar and write things**. I speak English and study French, Spanish and Esperanto. Oh, of course, I also study Chinese, but my Chinese is still not that good. What to say?... Pleased to meet you all. Bye!

*in the Chinese zodiac
**Not sure I got the right way of saying this in Chinese.

In preparing this, I read*** that "," is used as a full stop, "。" used to mark the ending of an idea. If anyone can further enlighten I would be grateful, otherwise I've rather ignored it until I've read more myself and become used to the idea. Also, I've written what seem slightly short, almost repetetive sentences, "I blah blah. I blah blah. I blah blah" on the understanding that Chinese would possibly do this more than stick a load of "和" (and) in there.

***at http://forum.wordreference.com/showthread.php?t=1633885

I hope that's alright, boy do I need to work on my Chinese. I'll try and record audio for it soon...

Also, I'm jumping on the memrise following train, if that's alright? My profile is: http://www.memrise.com/user/robertoking/mems/created/ although I've already added the ones whose links I found skimming this thread.

Edited by LittleBoy on 01 February 2013 at 12:31am

6 persons have voted this message useful

picnick
Triglot
Canada
Joined 4143 days ago

22 posts - 33 votes
Speaks: Tagalog, English*, Spanish
Studies: Korean, Mandarin

Message 231 of 457
01 February 2013 at 1:16am | IP Logged 
I promise I'll upload mine before 11:59pm PST here LOL! I'm forever a hopeless
procrastinator.

iawia
Bilingual Pentaglot
Taiwan
Joined 4383 days ago

35 posts - 55 votes 
Speaks: EnglishC2, Mandarin*, Taiwanese*, Cantonese, Spanish
Studies: Thai, Japanese

Message 232 of 457
01 February 2013 at 3:43am | IP Logged 
Hello Rob
Quite a nice introduction!
I'll do some corrections, if you don't mind.
LittleBoy wrote:
我是英国人,我来自一座西米德兰兹的城,伯 明翰附近。我现在是大学生,我学数学
("但
是"我更喜欢纯粹数学)。我空闲的时候我喜 外国语 ,弹吉他,写东西。我说英语和我学法语,西 班牙
语,
世界语。

In these sentences, you don't have to repeat saying "我" when the subject is the same.
Therefore, the second "我" usually can be omitted.
我是英国人,来自一座西米德兰兹的城,"在" 明翰附近。我现在是大学生,"正在"学数学 ("但是"我更喜欢
纯粹数
学)。我空闲的时候喜欢学外国语、弹吉他和 写东西。我说英语,同時学法语、西班牙语和 世界语。
啊,当然,我也学中文,但是我的中文还不太 好。"怎麼"说?。。。很高兴 认识你们。 再见!

The punctuation mark "、" is used when you need to separate similar ideas or things.
For example:
我說英語,同時学法语、西班牙语和世界语。
I speak English and study French, Spanish and Esperanto.
Here, the "、" is used the same way as the comma in English.
AND 我空闲的时候喜欢学外国语、弹吉他和写东西
I like to learn foreign languages, play the guitar and write things in my free time.
学外国语、弹吉他和写东西 are things you do in your free time, so you have to use "、" to
separate them.

我现在是大学生,"正在"学数学。
You can use 正在 to emphasize that the action is being done continuously now.
Like the -ing in English. Just add 正在 before the action you want to say.
我正在学中文。我正在看書。
A more colloquial way to say that is 我現在在~ (Literally: I/ now/ am~)
我現在学数学。我現在念書。

LittleBoy wrote:
Also, I've written what seem slightly short, almost repetetive
sentences, "I blah blah. I blah blah. I blah blah" on the understanding that Chinese
would possibly do this more than stick a load of "和" (and) in there.

This is true.

Keep up the good work!

Edited by iawia on 01 February 2013 at 3:45am

This discussion contains 457 messages over 58 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version