United States
Joined 4182 days ago

4 posts - 4 votes
Speaks: Lithuanian, English*
Studies: German, Mandarin

Message 33 of 457
16 December 2012 at 5:45pm | IP Logged 
大家好!
This is my first time doing the TAC, and I'm rather new to this forum. I guess a little backstory on my Mandarin is
called for, then.
I've been learning German over the last six or so months, and of course, I've had a bit of wanderlust. One of the
main languages being Mandarin. A while ago, I learned the tones and “你好,谢谢。”, but didn't go into detail at all,
and then school started up again.
Now, what made me actually definitively start learning Mandarin was the start of a new Project at school. It's the
biggest project in the senior-year class, to learn about government and such. What we do is we hold a very
intricate faux-election campaign, with different parties, etc.
What happened, is a few of my friends and I joined and decided to make a Firefly team. I was thinking about
that, and I remembered, "Hey, they speak Mandarin/English in Firefly", and then I figured that's enough of a "kick"
to actually start.
1 person has voted this message useful

Evita
Tetraglot
Latvia
learnlatvian.info
Joined 6346 days ago

734 posts - 1036 votes 
Speaks: Latvian*, English, German, Russian
Studies: Korean, Finnish

Message 34 of 457
16 December 2012 at 8:59pm | IP Logged 
Regarding the name of the team, actually I'd prefer something else than a Chinese character. The name should be something everyone on this forum can read and understand, not just the team members. For example, in this year's TAC 2012 the names for the Japanese and Asian teams were totally incomprehensible for me and I couldn't use them. So, with this in mind, I tried to come up with a new name. My best suggestion is team "Faraway". What does everyone think?

vermillon
Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4472 days ago

602 posts - 1042 votes 
Speaks: French*, EnglishC2, Mandarin
Studies: Japanese, German

Message 35 of 457
16 December 2012 at 9:52pm | IP Logged 
Is "faraway" in any way connected to Asian languages?
And why "should" everyone on this forum be able to read and understand the team name? On a language nerd forum, we can at least expect people not to stay blocked by a Chinese character and look it up, if needed. And the name is explained in the very first post of the team thread.

Logs are one of the only places on the forums where we can actually use something else than English... but finally even there we are constrained to use English. Is this still a language forum?

Edited by vermillon on 16 December 2012 at 9:52pm

Evita
Tetraglot
Latvia
learnlatvian.info
Joined 6346 days ago

734 posts - 1036 votes 
Speaks: Latvian*, English, German, Russian
Studies: Korean, Finnish

Message 36 of 457
16 December 2012 at 10:19pm | IP Logged 
Let's keep things nice and civil. No one is constraining you to use just English in your log. I was just responding to druckfehler's prompt because I agree with Solfrid Cristin:

druckfehler wrote:
As Solfrid Cristin requested, we might want to look for an English term to call our team. I really like the meaning behind it, but Team Crane doesn't sound too great. Should we stick with our symbol or go for a different name? What's everyone's opinion on this?

As for how "Faraway" connects with the Asian languages, I thought it was fairly obvious - the location of the countries is far away from where most of the team members are located (in the US and Europe). Plus I like the ring it has. True, it's just a geographical connection but I couldn't think of anything better if we don't want to use Chinese characters. Other suggestions are welcome, of course.

Takato
Tetraglot
HungaryRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4842 days ago

249 posts - 276 votes 
Speaks: Hungarian*, EnglishB2, GermanB2, Japanese

Message 37 of 457
16 December 2012 at 10:24pm | IP Logged 
Hi people!

I am already part of two TAC teams so I was wondering how much Mandarin I should learn next year, and after reading the log of this team I definitely want to make Mandarin a priority. I will continue my Japanese as well. Actually these are the two languages I can't really arrange as to priority. I love anime, hanzi () and tones a lot! I have very little knowledge of both (just a few hundred hours) so I'd say I'm a false beginner maybe. Sorry for the trouble, I can understand if you don't feel delighted of the idea of my joining.

Edited by Takato on 16 December 2012 at 11:00pm

vermillon
Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4472 days ago

602 posts - 1042 votes 
Speaks: French*, EnglishC2, Mandarin
Studies: Japanese, German

Message 38 of 457
16 December 2012 at 10:26pm | IP Logged 
Sure, I understand where it comes from (asking that we don't use a foreign name on a foreign language forum), but I still think it's a bad idea, and I express it :-)

As for "faraway", IMHO, it sounds as if we called it "the Difficult Team"... for the same reasons.

(ok, ok, I'll try to keep out of this conversation, I already mentioned my preference for the name "Asian Team", which happens to be the name of the team thread already).

BloodyChinese
Diglot
Germany
Joined 4158 days ago

39 posts - 61 votes 
Speaks: German*, EnglishC2
Studies: Mandarin, Korean

Message 39 of 457
16 December 2012 at 11:34pm | IP Logged 
What about Team Aurora?

The root of "east" is Aurora, the Roman goddess of dawn. Everyone on the team is studying East Asian languages, after all.

The Real CZ
United States
Joined 5443 days ago

1069 posts - 1495 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Japanese, Korean

Message 40 of 457
16 December 2012 at 11:48pm | IP Logged 
My suggestion would be "Nine-Tailed Fox". It's a mythical creature shared by China, Japan and Korea. I've seen some anime and some Korean dramas based upon the nine-tailed fox.

I personally agree with vermillion. How hard is to to highlight something, push ctrl+c, click on the search bar and push ctrl+v?

This discussion contains 457 messages over 58 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 46 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version