United Kingdom
xuexisprachen.wordprRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4150 days ago

64 posts - 79 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Mandarin, Italian, Spanish

Message 65 of 457
23 December 2012 at 5:39pm | IP Logged 
So, I made the same mistake Hidden did, in that I tried to change the email on my old
account and it's kicked me off and won't reactivate T_T. My old name was Luna Moonsilver
(though I kind of like this one better).

(Side note: hopefully I'll find some resources to offer soon too. In a totally unrelated
incident, all my bookmarks on chrome got deleted, so I've been stumbling around re-
collecting for the last two months. That list Evita's given is great :D)
1 person has voted this message useful

Evita
Tetraglot
Latvia
learnlatvian.info
Joined 6346 days ago

734 posts - 1036 votes 
Speaks: Latvian*, English, German, Russian
Studies: Korean, Finnish

Message 66 of 457
23 December 2012 at 10:01pm | IP Logged 
Haksaeng wrote:
I would also be interested in background info from participants about how they've studied their language until now, to get an idea of where they are with it, but even more to see what kinds of methods have worked for people at various stages (this is my only foreign language and it took me forever to build up steam on it, so I'm always curious about how other people learn languages).

I'll tell you about Korean and me. You can also read about all of this in my log but this will be the concise, short version. Let me start by saying that I think there is a big difference between people who start studying Korean after hundreds of hours of listening to Korean music or watching Korean TV and people who start studying Korean with no prior exposure to the language. I was of the latter kind. I started studying Korean in March 2012 and my main resource was the TTMIK lessons. The turning point in my studies was when I had finished (and reviewed) all the level 1 lessons and tried to do the listening comprehension task. It was much too difficult for me and I failed miserably at it but it made me realize that I needed more exposure to Korean. (Up until then I thought that listening to the TTMIK lessons was enough. Obviously it wasn't enough since their lessons are mostly in English.)

So I started watching Korean dramas in June and it helped me a lot to get a feel for the language, the sentence flow, the expressions and word usage and so on. That's something I wish I had started doing earlier but my other methods have served me well. My three main resources have been TTMIK, Click Korean and My Korean (from the list I posted before). I have used TTMIK the most, I suspect it's at least partly due to the fact that I can just listen to the lessons, it requires less effort from me than using the other resources. At the moment I'm at lesson 5x25 on TTMIK, unit 14 on Click Korean and unit 8 on My Korean.

Anki has worked very well for me too. I didn't use it at first, I'm not sure exactly why. I probably thought it would be too much of a hassle, the Korean letters. It was very hard for me to learn them, it was such a pain to try to read in Korean. So after a little more than a month of studying Korean I finally decided to start using Anki. It improved my reading and typing skills a lot. I add simple words to Anki, no sentences or other "helpful" information because I won't have this extra information when I need to really use the words so I figure it's best not to have it on cards either. Plus, entering the cards is faster this way. I know others feel differently about the usefulness of sentences, this is just what works for me.

As for what methods haven't worked well for me, the Anki phrases deck comes to mind. I created this deck a while after my vocabulary deck and I used it for a month or two to learn grammar. In the end, I got rid of it because it wasn't working for me. The passive cards were too easy and the active cards were too difficult.

Speaking of Anki, I have shared my deck on Ankiweb in the hopes that other people may find it useful. It's a very good deck. When I looked at the other decks available there, all of them had something I didn't like - either grammar mixed in or expressions mixed in or prepared automatically or using adjectives instead of descriptive verbs or vocabulary from a specific book or just small. My deck currently has less than 1000 words but my goal is to get it to 5000 so that it would be the best vocabulary deck for Korean. We'll see how it goes in the next year or two.
2 persons have voted this message useful

druckfehler
Triglot
Germany
Joined 4662 days ago

1181 posts - 1912 votes 
Speaks: German*, EnglishC2, Korean
Studies: Persian

Message 67 of 457
23 December 2012 at 11:44pm | IP Logged 
Hey Luna/Silbermond, I changed your name on the front page. Seems pretty upsetting to lose one's account... Anyway, I like your new name! Let us know when you create your log.

Great intro, Evita :)

druckfehler
Triglot
Germany
Joined 4662 days ago

1181 posts - 1912 votes 
Speaks: German*, EnglishC2, Korean
Studies: Persian

Message 68 of 457
24 December 2012 at 1:25am | IP Logged 
I just added my recommendations for Korean on the first page.

Any suggestions are welcome.

Takato
Tetraglot
HungaryRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4842 days ago

249 posts - 276 votes 
Speaks: Hungarian*, EnglishB2, GermanB2, Japanese

Message 69 of 457
24 December 2012 at 11:41am | IP Logged 
druckfehler wrote:
Any suggestions are welcome.

I suggest Speak Mandarin in 500 Words for beginners. (It uses the traditional characters used in Taiwan. It's freely downloadable with mp3s.)
Slow Chinese has good podcasts with transcripts for intermediate learners.

Edited by Takato on 24 December 2012 at 10:22pm

Hidden Linguist
Groupie
United Kingdom
Joined 4153 days ago

64 posts - 87 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, Spanish, Mandarin, Sign Language, French

Message 70 of 457
24 December 2012 at 3:10pm | IP Logged 
I've found the BBC languages website quite useful (from my beginner's point of view anyway). It has quite a lot of free information and resources for learning Mandarin. (Which is good news for me, because I'm on a tight budget).

I've been trying to find some shows to watch/listen to in Mandarin, which is proving to be more difficult for me than it was for my German studies. A lot of the shows that I already watch had German dubs...but I haven't been so fortunate with Mandarin. :(

Takato
Tetraglot
HungaryRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4842 days ago

249 posts - 276 votes 
Speaks: Hungarian*, EnglishB2, GermanB2, Japanese

Message 71 of 457
24 December 2012 at 10:24pm | IP Logged 
Hidden Linguist wrote:
A lot of the shows that I already watch had German dubs...but I haven't been so fortunate with Mandarin. :(

Haha, that's what you get when the language is in another sprachbund. Why not try some authentic material (shows made in China)? I think the cultural aspect would be more interesting.

Edited by Takato on 24 December 2012 at 11:56pm

3 persons have voted this message useful

iawia
Bilingual Pentaglot
Taiwan
Joined 4383 days ago

35 posts - 55 votes 
Speaks: EnglishC2, Mandarin*, Taiwanese*, Cantonese, Spanish
Studies: Thai, Japanese

Message 72 of 457
26 December 2012 at 4:27am | IP Logged 
Hi fellow language enthusiasts
I know that your team now is a little full, but I was wondering if I could join this
team. I will be studying Japanese, Thai and Cantonese in 2013.

BTW, I'm a native Chinese Mandarin and Taiwanese speaker from Taiwan.

This discussion contains 457 messages over 58 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 810 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version