Joined 4153 days ago

64 posts - 87 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, Spanish, Mandarin, Sign Language, French

Message 385 of 457
06 August 2013 at 10:04pm | IP Logged 
Hidden Linguist checking in. ;)

I hope everyone is doing well.

I’m afraid that I didn’t manage to complete the reading challenge for June/July. My knowledge of characters just isn’t good enough at the moment to read even simple articles or books (not even close). I have spent some time reading simple sentences out of my exercise books, which is slowly improving my reading ability, but I still have a very long way to go before I can attempt any proper reading.

As for this months challenge, I also like the idea of each of us choosing our own. It would be interesting to see what everyone else comes up with.

1 person has voted this message useful

vermillon
Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4472 days ago

602 posts - 1042 votes 
Speaks: French*, EnglishC2, Mandarin
Studies: Japanese, German

Message 386 of 457
07 August 2013 at 3:17am | IP Logged 
Hi there,

I haven't attempted the challenges, but I'm still here, even though I've dropped Japanese and Korean: being in China, I'm doing a full-time Mandarin, trying to use my Minnanhua as much as possible (though it means production only, I usually never understand the fast answers I receive) and I'm doing the 6WC reading Classical Chinese. And I think I'm finally going to start preparing for the TOCFL of next year.

In my work I've had to work on Burmese (and if there are people knowing Burmese even at a middle-beginner level, I'd be happy if you sent me a PM, I have a few questions about the script). And perhaps later in the year I'll do a Vietnamese 6WC, if I find enough time in my schedule...

Bakunin
Diglot
Switzerland
outerkhmer.blogspot.
Joined 4924 days ago

531 posts - 1126 votes 
Speaks: German*, Thai
Studies: Khmer

Message 387 of 457
07 August 2013 at 4:58am | IP Logged 
Haksaeng wrote:
I always hear that extensive reading will be a huge help and will make it easier and easier to read native materials. I noticed that it got easier to read my book as time went on, but I wouldn't say the change was significant. Of course, it's only one book and I need to read more and keep reading to see the benefits. Sometimes progress seems very slow.

My experience is that reading skills develop quite slowly. One book almost never makes a difference in my perceived ability to read, but over time it gets easier and easier. I think I've been reading on a regular basis for something like two years now, and I'm only now getting to a point where I can pick up any book and read it for pleasure. So, yes, progress can seem very slow.

yuhakko
Tetraglot
FranceRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4426 days ago

414 posts - 582 votes 
Speaks: French*, EnglishB2, EnglishC2, Spanish, Japanese
Studies: Korean, Norwegian, Mandarin

Message 388 of 457
16 August 2013 at 12:34pm | IP Logged 
I've also finished the 2 month challenge with most my languages!

Chinese: I read 2 easy readers and quite a few small tweets on Weibo.
Japanese: I didn't finish my book yet, but I've read a lot of news articles, culture
articles (about Ainu), and a good part of my book.
Korean : Read almost all the Little prince and started a few days ago 와라!편의점 on
Naver Webtoons.

Concerning the August challenge, I'm up for choosing our own challenge! And personally,
I've chosen to focus on my weakest aspect in all my languages. That would be :
- Japanese: Writing. I am watching documentaries (Begin Japanology) about Japan and I
will write a sum up of each episode on Lang-8. I'm also translating stuff from my work
so I'll count it in too.
- Korean: Reading. I will finish the Little Prince and start reading "새" and at the
same time, I plan on reading a lot of 좋은 논문.
- Chinese: Writing and Hanzi. I can write easily on a computer but I tend to forget the
characters when I write by hand. So I will start doing some lines of characters like I
used to do for Japanese.

Warp3
United States
forum_posts.asp?TID=
Joined 5329 days ago

1419 posts - 1766 votes 
Studies: Spanish, Korean, Japanese

Message 389 of 457
18 August 2013 at 4:06pm | IP Logged 
yuhakko wrote:
Korean : Read almost all the Little prince and started a few days ago 와라!편의점 on
Naver Webtoons.

Ahhh...someone else is reading that series now. I just passed episode 200 this week (reading one per day). I still don't always understand everything that is going on, but generally get the idea (and some days I understand it completely, it just depends on the content). One of the early episodes (can't recall the number offhand) where the clerks have varying methods of responding to foreign speaking customers has been my favorite one by far, though.

yuhakko
Tetraglot
Joined 4426 days ago

414 posts - 582 votes 

Message 390 of 457
18 August 2013 at 11:42pm | IP Logged 
Haha actually, the reason I started is you! I've been seeing on log this "Read 와라!편의점
(7 pages)" for so long and I was always curious of what it was so I looked it up and
tried reading one and... I'm hooked! I started about 4-5 days ago and I'm already at the
23rd! Like you, some times I understand it fully and some others, I have trouble
understanding what they are talking about. It's good though! Nice drawings, everyday
topic but varied at the same time... Exactly what I need!

I do remember the one you're referring to, about the foreigners. I think it was episode
15 or so. Incredibly funny! Loved it. But even the other ones, they're all refreshing and
a good way to read some Korean just for pleasure.

Warp3
United States
forum_posts.asp?TID=
Joined 5329 days ago

1419 posts - 1766 votes 
Studies: Spanish, Korean, Japanese

Message 391 of 457
19 August 2013 at 2:53am | IP Logged 
yuhakko wrote:
Haha actually, the reason I started is you! I've been seeing on log this "Read 와라!편의점
(7 pages)" for so long and I was always curious of what it was so I looked it up and
tried reading one and... I'm hooked! I started about 4-5 days ago and I'm already at the
23rd! Like you, some times I understand it fully and some others, I have trouble
understanding what they are talking about. It's good though! Nice drawings, everyday
topic but varied at the same time... Exactly what I need!

Glad I could help...hehe :)

Quote:
I do remember the one you're referring to, about the foreigners. I think it was episode
15 or so. Incredibly funny! Loved it. But even the other ones, they're all refreshing and
a good way to read some Korean just for pleasure.

Since you narrowed it down, I just double-checked and it was episode 19. The best part is the guy that just throws out random English phrases from K-pop songs.
http://comic.naver.com/webtoon/detail.nhn?titleId=26316&seq= 19

yuhakko
Tetraglot
Joined 4426 days ago

414 posts - 582 votes 

Message 392 of 457
20 August 2013 at 11:19pm | IP Logged 
Weirdly enough, since you said which episode it is, every time I open the app on my
phone, it opens this one! I'm starting to know it by heart now..!

This discussion contains 457 messages over 58 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version