Diglot
Cambodia
Joined 4314 days ago

277 posts - 349 votes 
Speaks: English*, Khmer
Studies: Mandarin

Message 281 of 457
26 February 2013 at 7:24am | IP Logged 
Ok I have done the Feb challenge. Unfortunately I didn't get around to doing a Khmer song, but I have done
Mandarin. I memorized the chorus by heart and most (but not all) of the rest, and as my singing is so bad I won't
be uploading a video/audio for this challenge! I thought the challenge was fun and actually quite useful, it was
good to try and translate the song. So this is the song I went with 杨坤 - 不见面的朋友. I was unable to find a video
of it. Here are the lyrics and the translation. I did the translation myself and have no idea if it is right, if anyone
has the time/desire to give a decent translation that would be great, if not no worries!

走 陪我走了那么久
越来越像朋友
我为什么不放手
想留没有更好的理由
因为渴望自由
这次你决不回头
你想走我想留
曾经的温柔
到最后谁也带不走
我为了你为了你什么都放弃
想忘了你忘了你彻底都忘记
流过血的伤口到底能疼多久
你我成了不见面的朋友
想留没有更好的理由
因为渴望自由
这次你决不回头
你想走我想留
曾经的温柔
到最后谁也带不走
我为了你为了你什么都放弃
想忘了你忘了你彻底都忘记
流过血的伤口到底能疼多久
你我变成不见面的朋友
我为了你为了你什么都放弃
想忘了你忘了你彻底都忘记
流过血的伤口到底能疼多久
你我变成不见面的朋友
走 陪我走了那么久
越来越像朋友
我为什么还这样不放手
我为了你为了你什么都放弃
想忘了你忘了你彻底都忘记
流过血的伤口到底能疼多久
你我变成不见面的朋友
我为了你为了你为了你
想忘了你忘了你忘了你
不见面的朋友
我为了你为了你为了你
想忘了你忘了你忘了你
什么都为你

English -
You've walked with me a long time
becoming more like a friend
why can't I let you go
I want to stay but I have no good reason
because I desire freedom
now you cannot turn around
you think go, I think stay
once tender
at last who also would not go (not sure of this line at all)

I gave up everything for you
think you have totally forgotten everything
blood flows from the wound, in the end it can hurt for a long time
you and I have become friends that don't meet

I want to stay but I have no good reason
because I desire freedom
now you cannot turn around
you think go, I think stay
once tender
at last who also would not go

I gave up everything for you
think you have totally forgotten everything
blood flows from the wound, in the end it can hurt for a long time
you and I have become friends that don't meet (TWICE)

You've walked with me a long time
becoming more like a friend
why can't I let you go
Few lines of repetition of various parts of the song that I don't really know how to translate!
It's all for you
2 persons have voted this message useful

maurelio1234
Triglot
Groupie
BrazilRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5874 days ago

61 posts - 92 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, EnglishC2, French
Studies: German, Mandarin

Message 282 of 457
26 February 2013 at 11:36am | IP Logged 

hi,

I completed the february's challenge too. I chose 记得 from 张惠妹 (also known as AMEI).
You can find its youtube video here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9xthLlCrHYU.

It was a very interesting experience for me, and I think I am going to try to do it at
least one a month from now on. A nice related exercice is to try to read the lyrics and
sing with the singer, I think it helped me alot in reading subtitles in chinese movies.

I think I learned the whole lyrics, and I will try to type them from memory below. The
words in parenthesis indicate my mistakes when writing the song from memory. For
example, "情(亲)爱的" means that it should be "亲爱的" but I wrote "情爱的". The
translation represents my best understanding of the meaning behind the lyrics, if
there's something wrong (in my translation or in my English!) please correct me.

记得 - Remember

Chorus:

谁还记得 是谁先说永远的爱我
Who still remembers who was to first one to say that would love me forever?
以前的一句话 是我们的以后的伤口
The words we said in the past hurt us after
过了太久 没人记得 当初那些温柔
It's been a long time we don't remember the sweetness(?) of the beginning
我和你手牵手 说要一起 走到 最后
Me and you hand in hand, saying that we would be together forever

我们都忘了 这条路走了多久
We both forgot how long was our path
心中是清楚的 有一天 有一天都会停的
My heart is sure, that there will be a day, when this all will end
让时间说真话
Let the time say the truth
虽然我也害怕
Even if I also fear
在天黑了以后
That after the dark days
我们都不知道 会不会有以后
We don't know if there will be an "after" (we are still going to be together)

(Chorus)

我们都累了 却没办法都() 往回走
We got tired, and couldn't manage to come back
两颗心都迷惑 怎么说 怎么说都没有救
Two confused hearts, Who said there's no "salvation"?
情( 亲)爱的为什么 也许你也不懂 两个相爱(的)人
Why do lovers...( even if you maybe do not understand)... two lovers
等着对方先说 想分开的理由
wait the other (the partner) to say first that he/she is thinking about separation

(Chorus)

谁还记得 爱情开始 变化的时候
Who still remembers when our "love" started to change?
我和你眼的 (的眼)中 看见了不懂的天空
When our eyes started to look at different directions
走了(得)太远 终于走到 分叉(岔)路的路口
There's been a long way, and we started taking different ways
是不是 你和我 要有 两个反向(相反)的梦
Is it that we have different dreams?

(Chorus)

Edited by maurelio1234 on 26 February 2013 at 11:36am

Bakunin
Diglot
Switzerland
outerkhmer.blogspot.
Joined 4924 days ago

531 posts - 1126 votes 
Speaks: German*, Thai
Studies: Khmer

Message 283 of 457
26 February 2013 at 6:41pm | IP Logged 
druckfehler wrote:
Challenge
How much you do is up to you (minimum being to learn a chorus by heart and understanding the rest, maximum being t learn the whole song by heart and post a video/audio recording of you singing it).

If you have completed the challenge, please say so on the team thread - maybe mentioning what your experience with the challenge was (easy, difficult, fun, annoying... ;)) and also post the lyrics of your song (preferably with translation) and a link to the original audio/video if possible. I think it would be nice to have a collection of our songs here on the team thread.

I've completed the February challenge. Here is my song. I've learned the chorus by heart and understand the rest. Here's the text:

หล่อ​ๆ​ หล่อ​ๆ​ อย่าง​ผม​แล้ว​ใคร​จะ ​ทน​ไหว​เล่า​ หน้าตา​ดูดี​ อย่างนี้​ ใครๆ​ ก็​เรียก​ไอ้​หล่อเหล า​
สาว​ใด​สบตา​ต้อง​กรี ๊ด​อ่ะ​ ใคร​เจอ​ก็​อยาก​ใกล้ ชิด​อ่ะ​นะ​ แล้ว​ให้​ผม​ทำ​ยังไง ​เล่า​
หล่อ​ๆ​ หล่อ​ๆ​ อย่างนี้​มี​สาว​ทั้ง ปี​ไม่​พลาด​ แต่​ไม่มี​เวลา​ไป​สน ​ทุกคน​ก็​เลย​ต้อง​เ ศร้า​
แต่​น้อง​คน​นี้​ดูดี ​อ่ะ​ คุณ​ได้​สิทธิ์​นั้น​ เดี๋ยวนี้​ ไป​กินข้าว​กัน​มั๊ย​ จ้ะ​ ขอโทษ​นะคะ​ อุบาทว์​
ห๊า​ ห๊า​ ห๊า​ ห๊า​ ไม่​เชื่อ​ ไม่​เชื่อ​ ไม่​เชื่อ​ ไม่​เชื่อ​รูหู​ตัวเอ ง​ ไม่​จริง​ ไม่​จริง​ ไม่​จริง​ หน้าตา​เรา​ดี​ที่สุด ​
ไม่​เชื่อ​ ไม่​เชื่อ​ ไม่​เชื่อ​ เมื่อกี้​พูดเล่น​ใช่ ​มะ​ ไม่​จริง​ ไม่​จริง​ ไม่​จริง​ พูด​อีกที​ได้​รึเปล่ า​
อุบาทว์​ อุบาทว์​ อุบาทว์​ ยัง​ไม่ได้ยิน​อีก​หร อ​ พอ​เถอะ​ พอ​เถอะ​ คนสวย​ น้อง​คิด​ว่า​น้อง​เป ็น​ใคร​
หน้าตา​อย่าง​เงี้ย​ พี่​หา​แถวๆ​ ข้างทาง​ก็​ได้​ ยังไง​ ตัว​พี่​ก็​หล่อ​ แล้ว​อย่า​มา​ง้อ​แล้ ว​กัน​
น้อง​พูด​งี้​ได้​ไง​ อ่ะ​ กว่า​คน​จะ​หล่อ​อะ​น ้อง​ มา​นี่​จะ​เล่า​ให้​ฟ ัง​ว่า​ต้อง​ทำ​ไง​บ้ าง​
กว่า​คน​มัน​จะ​หล่อ​ ยาก​เหลือทน​ต้อง​กิน ​เนื้อ​กิน​นม​ อยู่​ทุกที่​
เล่น​แอ๊​บโด​มี​ไ​น​ ซ์​เกือบ​ทั้งปี​ เพราะ​อยาก​มี​หุ่น​ด ี​น่ารัก​จัง​
ตื่นนอน​มา​แต่เช้า​ห น้าขาว​ผ่อง​ แต่​มา​เจอ​ตัว​น้อง​ พูด​อย่างนี้​ โง่​ งี่เง่า​ อด​ของดี​
จ๋อย​เด้​ จ๋อย​เด้​ จ๋อย​เด้​ จ๋อย​เด้​ จ๋อย​เด้​ จ๋อย​เด้​ จ๋อย​เด้​ จ๋อย​เด้​ จ๋อย​เด้​ จ๋อย​เด้​ จ๋อย​เด้​ จ๋อย​เด้​
ไม่เคย​เจอ​ใคร​อย่าง นี้​ ของดี​ๆ​ ไม่​คว้า​เอา​ไว้​ ชมพู่​ แพน​เค้า​ อั้​ม​ โทรม​า​ทุกวัน​พี่​ไม ่​ใส่ใจ​
เธอ​พลาด​ซะ​แล้ว​คุณ ​น้อง​ ลอง​กลับ​ไป​คิดดู​ให ม่​นะ​ ขอโทษ​นะคะ​ หล่อ​ตาย​ล่ะ​ไอ้​...​อ ุบาทว์​
ไม่​เชื่อ​ ไม่​เชื่อ​ ไม่​เชื่อ​ ไม่​เชื่อ​รูหู​ตัวเอ ง​ ก็​ไม่​จริง​ ไม่​จริง​ ไม่​จริง​ หน้าตา​เรา​ดี​ที่สุด ​
ก็​ไม่​เชื่อ​ ไม่​เชื่อ​ ไม่​เชื่อ​ ไม่​เชื่อ​รูหู​ตัวเอ ง​ ก็​ไม่​จริง​ ไม่​จริง​ ไม่​จริง​ หน้าตา​เรา​ดี​ที่สุด ​

The song is about guy who thinks he's the best looking guy ever, and a girl who tells him to bugger off. He can't believe it.

This song is as crap as are the other roughly ten songs I looked at for this challenge, but this is the only one with a bit of energy. It's probably not suitable for karaoke. I'm not a big fan of Thai pop music and didn't enjoy the challenge very much. None of my Thai friends is interested in karaoke, so I haven't had much exposure to karaoke hits.

BloodyChinese
Diglot
Germany
Joined 4158 days ago

39 posts - 61 votes 
Speaks: German*, EnglishC2
Studies: Mandarin, Korean

Message 284 of 457
26 February 2013 at 9:52pm | IP Logged 
I had tons of fun completing the February challenge!

One of the most beautiful songs I've ever heard is 橄榄树(The Olive Tree) by 齐豫, a famous Taiwanese singer. Here's the youtube link:

橄榄树

Without further ado, here's the text and translation:

不要問我從哪裡來 
bu yao wen wo cong na li lai
Don't ask from where I have come

我的故鄉在遠方
wo de gu xiang zai yuan fang
My home is far, far away

為什麼流浪 
wei shen me liu lang
Why do you wander so far

流浪遠方...流浪
liu lang yuan fang liu lang
Wander so far, wander so far

為了天空飛翔的小鳥 
wei le tian kong fei xiang de xiao niao
For the little bird flying in the sky

為了山間輕流的小溪
wei le shan jian qing liu de xiao xi
For the blue brook running in the mountain

為了寬闊的草原 
wei le kuan kuo de cao yuan
For the broad meadow green and wide

流浪遠方...流浪
I wander, wander so far

還有還有 為了夢中的橄欖樹橄欖樹
hai you hai you wei le meng zhong de gan lan shu gan lan shu
Then, is there more? Yes, for the Olive tree of my dream

不要問我從哪裡來 

我的故鄉在遠方
My home is far, far away

為什麼流浪...為什麼流浪遠方
wei shen me liu lang wei shen me liu lang yuan fang
Why do you wander? Why do you wander so far? Far, far away

為了我夢中的橄欖樹
wei le wo meng zhong de gan lan shu
For the Olive tree of my dream

不要問我從哪裡來 

我的故鄉在遠方
My home is far, far away

為什麼流浪 
wei shen me liu lang
Why do you wander so far

流浪遠方...流浪
Wander so far, wander so far

//

I've listened to this wonderful song hundreds of times. It is just now that I've actually tried to understand it, and as a result I have learnt a couple new words and find 橄榄树 even more hauntingly beautiful than before:)

4 persons have voted this message useful

Bakunin
Diglot
Switzerland
outerkhmer.blogspot.
Joined 4924 days ago

531 posts - 1126 votes 
Speaks: German*, Thai
Studies: Khmer

Message 285 of 457
26 February 2013 at 10:03pm | IP Logged 
BloodyChinese wrote:
One of the most beautiful songs I've ever heard is 橄榄树(The Olive Tree) by 齐豫, a famous Taiwanese singer. Here's the youtube link:

橄榄树

That's really a beautiful song!
1 person has voted this message useful

Hidden Linguist
Groupie
United Kingdom
Joined 4153 days ago

64 posts - 87 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, Spanish, Mandarin, Sign Language, French

Message 286 of 457
27 February 2013 at 12:02am | IP Logged 
Welcome to the team Youngbin. I look forward to following your progress. I’m much more of a lurker than a poster at the moment, but I do keep up with everyone’s logs and enjoy seeing what people are getting up to with their languages. :)

The February Challenge

I’ve actually enjoyed this months’ challenge. I’m not much of a music listener usually (though I do have my favourites), but I’ve discovered a few songs that I like (and which I would probably never have even considered listening to otherwise).

I had some trouble finding the lyrics and translations for some of the songs that I liked but I got there in the end and I decided to learn ‘Jasmine Flower’ for the challenge.

I’ve had to copy and paste the characters from online because, although I’m wary of online translations, my character reading and vocabulary are nowhere near good enough for me to work through them on my own.

茉莉花 (mò lì huā)

好一朵美麗的茉莉花
好一朵美麗的茉莉花
芬芳美麗滿枝椏
又香又白人人誇
讓我來將你摘下
送給別人家
茉莉花呀茉莉花

maurelio1234
Triglot
Groupie
BrazilRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5874 days ago

61 posts - 92 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, EnglishC2, French
Studies: German, Mandarin

Message 287 of 457
27 February 2013 at 11:41am | IP Logged 
Hidden Linguist wrote:
Welcome to the team Youngbin. I look forward to following your
progress. I’m much more of a lurker than a poster at the moment, but I do keep up with
everyone’s logs and enjoy seeing what people are getting up to with their languages. :)

The February Challenge

I’ve actually enjoyed this months’ challenge. I’m not much of a music listener usually
(though I do have my favourites), but I’ve discovered a few songs that I like (and
which I would probably never have even considered listening to otherwise).

I had some trouble finding the lyrics and translations for some of the songs that I
liked but I got there in the end and I decided to learn ‘Jasmine Flower’ for the
challenge.

I’ve had to copy and paste the characters from online because, although I’m wary of
online translations, my character reading and vocabulary are nowhere near good enough
for me to work through them on my own.

茉莉花 (mò lì huā)

好一朵美麗的茉莉花
好一朵美麗的茉莉花
芬芳美麗滿枝椏
又香又白人人誇
讓我來將你摘下
送給別人家
茉莉花呀茉莉花

Hey, I suppose you know that many people talked about this song in the chinese speaking
world two weeks ago, because it was sang by celine dion in the last chinese new year.

Hope it interests someone: video

Evita
Tetraglot
Latvia
learnlatvian.info
Joined 6346 days ago

734 posts - 1036 votes 
Speaks: Latvian*, English, German, Russian
Studies: Korean, Finnish

Message 288 of 457
27 February 2013 at 11:48pm | IP Logged 
I chose a song from the soundtrack of Secret Garden, a Korean drama. I probably would have learned this song even without the challenge because I really liked it when I was watching the drama. And the first time I read the translation, it hit me hard in the context of the drama. It's called "That woman" and the second version is called "That man".

The lyrics of the song are rather long so rather than posting them here I'll just link to them: Korean and English translation. To make it more interesting for those who are not studying Korean, here are the links to youtube:

That Woman with Thai subtitles and That Man with Chinese subtitles

Studying this song was quite frustrating from the language point of view. Even though I had the English translation I still wasn't able to understand some constructions. Still, I learned almost all of it by heart, I only have trouble with two lines. I know the first part best so I tried to type it out from memory. It went very well, the only mistake I made was a spacing mistake.

Overall I wouldn't say I had fun learning this song but I'm satisfied with the result. I estimate I might have listened to the song about 50-60 times.

3 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 457 messages over 58 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version