United States
Joined 4308 days ago

69 posts - 78 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Mandarin

Message 177 of 457
23 January 2013 at 8:02pm | IP Logged 
Silbermond wrote:

I've added you as a mempal; I think it's handy having other people on there because it
motivates you (or me, at least) to work more!

Thanks! I'm not sure if I can see you on there though... so not sure if you picking me
makes it go both ways? What is your memrise profile name?
1 person has voted this message useful

vermillon
Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4472 days ago

602 posts - 1042 votes 
Speaks: French*, EnglishC2, Mandarin
Studies: Japanese, German

Message 178 of 457
23 January 2013 at 8:16pm | IP Logged 
Homogenik wrote:
Wow, 非常感谢你!这是很好。Thanks a lot. Is 兄 exactly like 哥哥 and 姊 like 姐 or is there some kind of semantic difference?

As you got no answer yet, I'll do it. They're "semantically" the same, but they have different usage. To keep it simple, you can just consider that when you want to refer to a specific person, you use any of 哥哥, 姐姐 etc (the "doubles"), but when you refer to "brothers" (they cannot be the 哥哥 of each other!), "sisters", or "brothers and sisters" (as in your sentence), you use 兄弟 and 姊妹(/姐妹). Or to make it clearer, you don't use any of 兄, 弟, 姊, 妹 on its own, but rather in conjugation.

edit:
@Renate: quick message. I hope I'll get the time to do the video I've (half-)promised. I unfortunately haven't gotten around to preparing my other languages, but I think it will be Korean and then Japanese. I can also add a little bit of unprepared Mandarin, just for fun... though I find my spoken skills to be extremely lacking (in terms of spontaneous active vocabulary). I am pretty busy with language related projects and normally should report on them before the end of the month (relatively good news). :)

Edited by vermillon on 23 January 2013 at 8:21pm

3 persons have voted this message useful

Silbermond
Diglot
Groupie
United Kingdom
xuexisprachen.wordprRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4150 days ago

64 posts - 79 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Mandarin, Italian, Spanish

Message 179 of 457
23 January 2013 at 8:21pm | IP Logged 
billyshears66 wrote:
Silbermond wrote:

I've added you as a mempal; I think it's handy having other people on there because it

Thanks! I'm not sure if I can see you on there though... so not sure if you picking me

My profile is here. (If the link doesn't work, my username is silbermond :D)

Edited by Silbermond on 23 January 2013 at 8:22pm

BloodyChinese
Diglot
Germany
Joined 4158 days ago

39 posts - 61 votes 
Speaks: German*, EnglishC2
Studies: Mandarin, Korean

Message 180 of 457
23 January 2013 at 8:42pm | IP Logged 
I've finally found the time to record an introduction of myself in Chinese. After reviewing some of the things I wanted to talk about, I picked up a mic and talked away. I did some retakes until I managed to get something coherent together. For the challenge, I purposefully went way beyond my current supposed level(4 months of study). I am glad I lasted 3 minutes until I ran out of things to say :P

I certainly learned that talking about the weather helps when you feel you're running out of ideas mid-way. It buys time and keeps up the flow until you remember what you wanted to talk about again. But in this case, it actually wasn't just idle talk. It is freezing outside.

Here it is: TAC 13 - January Challenge

Edit: What I think I said :P I tried to stay close to the meaning that I wanted to convey in Chinese, so some sentences sound a bit awkward. Feel free to correct any mistakes I may have made in transcription and in the actual recording.

你们好!我很抱歉让你们久等。我正在复习准 备考试.
Hello, everyone! I am sorry to have kept you waiting for so long.I'm studying for my exams.
请允许我自我介绍。我叫廖皢磊。我有一半中 国的血统,一半德国的。
Let me introduce myself. My name is Liao Xiao Lei. I am half Chinese and half German.
我的母亲是台湾人,但是到现在我还没说过中 文。我同时生长在德国和英国。
My mother is Taiwanese, but I didn’t speak Chinese until now. I grew up in Germany and England.
我二十三岁, 属蛇的。我想现在要开始学中文了
I am 23 years old and was born in the year of the Snake. I think it is time to learn Chinese.
以前我在英国学习人类学, 因为我再也负担不起英国的学费了, 所以我搬去德国住。
I used to study Anthropology in England. But I can’t afford that anymore, so I moved to Germany.
我在维尔茨堡大学学习汉语。我学这个语言已 经学了四月了。
I study Chinese at the University of Würzburg. I have already studied that language for around 4 months.
我们学的课文越来越难。中文系的同学常常互 相学习,互相帮助。我学习汉语学习得很努力 。
Our lessons are getting more and more difficult. But those who are learning Chinese at the East Asian Faculty are often teaching and helping each other. I am pretty diligent at my studies…
熟能生巧。
...Practice makes perfect.[I just had to sneak in a Chengyu/Saying :P It spontaneously came to my mind and I thought it would fit the situation)
外边很冷。天气越来越冷了.
The weather outside is cold. It has been getting colder and colder.[yeah, I lost my train of thought at that point but I thankfully recovered pretty quickly)
事实上,我不太喜欢中国文化。
Actually I don’t like Chinese culture that much.
学习汉语的主要原因是我要多练内功,因为做 内功彻底改造了我。我对打坐很感兴趣。 &nbs p;    
The main reason why I am studying Chinese is that I want to be practising a lot of Neigong/Meditation in the future, as that practice has completely transformed me. I find Meditation very interesting.[this was the most complex grammar structure I came up with. I probably made some mistakes here)
我的爱好是举重, 冥想, 弹吉他,创作音乐,当然也是学外文!
My hobbies are body-building, meditation, playing guitar, composing music and of course, learning other languages!
我还想学韩语
I also want to learn Korean.
我觉得韩语比汉语好听。
I feel that Korean sounds more pleasant than Chinese. [Hányǔ(Korean) as opposed to Hànyǔ(Chinese). Pretty inconvenient, if you ask me. Is there any other word for Korean in Chinese?]
让我们完成这事.
Let’s wrap this up.[I improvised here. Does what I said in Chinese actually mean "Let's wrap this up"?]
认识你们,我也很高兴!
I am happy to get to know you as well!
我希望我们学习语言愉快
I hope we will we have fun learning languages!
谢谢听我说!TAC 二零一三年 , 风雨同舟共渡难关!
Thanks for listening! TAC 2013, Stick together in all difficulty!

Edited by BloodyChinese on 23 January 2013 at 10:50pm

7 persons have voted this message useful

druckfehler
Triglot
Germany
Joined 4662 days ago

1181 posts - 1912 votes 
Speaks: German*, EnglishC2, Korean
Studies: Persian

Message 181 of 457
23 January 2013 at 9:12pm | IP Logged 
Sounds great, BloodyChinese! I'm looking forward to your translation, so I can understand more than a couple of words and maybe even learn something new :)

Silbermond, sounds like your mic stopped working? :( I'm looking forward to your written intro! When you use google translate and type in Korean they give you a keyboard layout, which I thought was quite helpful when I hadn't memorised the Korean keyboard. Then I used stickers on my keyboard until they fell off and managed without them, although I still forget where is what sometimes.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Takato
Tetraglot
HungaryRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4842 days ago

249 posts - 276 votes 
Speaks: Hungarian*, EnglishB2, GermanB2, Japanese

Message 182 of 457
23 January 2013 at 9:27pm | IP Logged 
Hi! I'm learning Computer Architectures I. till 29.01 or 05.02 so don't expect much from me meanwhile.

billyshears66
Groupie
United States
Joined 4308 days ago

69 posts - 78 votes 
Speaks: English*

Message 183 of 457
23 January 2013 at 10:28pm | IP Logged 
Silbermond wrote:
billyshears66 wrote:
Silbermond wrote:

My profile is here. (If the link
doesn't work, my username is silbermond :D)

Got it! Thanks!

js6426
Diglot
Cambodia
Joined 4314 days ago

277 posts - 349 votes 
Speaks: English*, Khmer

Message 184 of 457
24 January 2013 at 2:26am | IP Logged 
Bloodychinese - great intro! I would also like to know if you can say 'lets wrap this up'!

This discussion contains 457 messages over 58 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version