Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4472 days ago

602 posts - 1042 votes 
Speaks: French*, EnglishC2, Mandarin
Studies: Japanese, German

Message 417 of 457
01 November 2013 at 4:27pm | IP Logged 
My November challenge, which in fact will be part of the 6WC, will be to finally finish reading 说苑. It's been since around August that every month I decide that this should be the month I would finish it, but every month I've just left it on the bookshelf. I plan to remedy this problem and finish the book.

I also have plans to learn about classical poetry (through a textbook dedicated to explaining poetry, and also various bilingual editions of poetry), but that's probably not part of the challenge... yet.
3 persons have voted this message useful

js6426
Diglot
Cambodia
Joined 4314 days ago

277 posts - 349 votes 
Speaks: English*, Khmer
Studies: Mandarin

Message 418 of 457
01 November 2013 at 5:19pm | IP Logged 
My Nov challenge will be to try to listen to the dialogue audio from one Chineseclass101 lesson per day, in order to
try and help my listening. I am going to set a goal to do this for 20 days over the next month, but if I can do more
then that is a bonus. The reason I say only 20 days out of the month is because my wife is due to give birth to our
first baby on Monday, and so I envision a pretty hectic month! But I will do what I can!

druckfehler
Triglot
Germany
Joined 4662 days ago

1181 posts - 1912 votes 
Speaks: German*, EnglishC2, Korean
Studies: Persian

Message 419 of 457
01 November 2013 at 11:17pm | IP Logged 
I will challenge myself to finish reading two books in November. One is a novel by a
Korean author (called "A World of Artificiality") that I've been reading occasionally
since April. This is definitely the main challenge, as I can only comfortably read a
few pages at a time. I'll have to stick with it regularly to have a chance at finishing
it. The other book is Pippi in the South Seas by Astrid Lindgren. This one is fun and
easy to read without a dictionary, as I can figure out everything I'm not totally sure
of through context. Right now I'm about halfway through both books. That means I have
around 90 pages of Pippi and 1170 pages [edit: no, make that 170 pages, actually :D] of the novel left.

---

Everyone's challenges sound good! Lots of reading it seems :)

js6426 wrote:
The reason I say only 20 days out of the month is because my wife is
due to give birth to our first baby on Monday, and so I envision a pretty hectic month!
But I will do what I can!

All the best for this exciting time! Kudos to you for still participating in the
challenge. I think it's very wise to aim for less than daily... In this case I'd say
that if you don't make it to the 20 but still gave it your best you can call the
challenge a success ;) By all means, don't let Chinese stress you out when you could be
experiencing your kid's first month!

Edited by druckfehler on 28 November 2013 at 12:52am

4 persons have voted this message useful

js6426
Diglot
Cambodia
Joined 4314 days ago

277 posts - 349 votes 

Message 420 of 457
02 November 2013 at 1:08am | IP Logged 

js6426 wrote:
The reason I say only 20 days out of the month is because my wife is
due to give birth to our first baby on Monday, and so I envision a pretty hectic month!
But I will do what I can!

All the best for this exciting time! Kudos to you for still participating in the
challenge. I think it's very wise to aim for less than daily... In this case I'd say
that if you don't make it to the 20 but still gave it your best you can call the
challenge a success ;) By all means, don't let Chinese stress you out when you could be
experiencing your kid's first month![/QUOTE]

Oh totally, I just put it down so I at least have a challenge, but there is no way it will take away from time with my
son!
1 person has voted this message useful

yuhakko
Tetraglot
FranceRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4426 days ago

414 posts - 582 votes 
Speaks: French*, EnglishB2, EnglishC2, Spanish, Japanese
Studies: Korean, Norwegian, Mandarin

Message 421 of 457
02 November 2013 at 5:21pm | IP Logged 
Well a month ago I was going like "what's happening? where's everybody?" kind of thing
and in the end I couldn't be active for the past month...

Anyway, I'm still around, still studying Mandarin, Japanese, Korean and just a tiny bit
of Ainu. Mandarin is my main focus for now but I'm still doing a bit of the others too.

For the November challenge, instead of giving myself one single big challenges, I'm
going to choose to have a few smaller ones:

1) Finish reading 丁丁历险记:七个水晶球 (Tintin) - Mandarin
2) Finish reading 20代あなたがやるべきこと (which I stopped for lack of time) -
Japanese
3) Learn (at least) one Kanji (plus 6 usages) per day - Japanese
4) Read at least 15 news articles - Korean
5) Read at least 50 와라!편의점 - Korean
6) Write 3 times in each language on Lang-8 - Mandarin, Japanese, Korean

I am rather busy nowadays so I might not be really active here for the month, but if I
(finally) organize myself well, it might be possible.

Edited by yuhakko on 02 November 2013 at 5:58pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

Kami
Groupie
United States
Joined 4313 days ago

55 posts - 62 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: French, Korean

Message 422 of 457
06 November 2013 at 3:22am | IP Logged 
My November Challenge will be to learn (and remember) 100 new vocab words.

js6426
Diglot
Cambodia
Joined 4314 days ago

277 posts - 349 votes 

Message 423 of 457
09 November 2013 at 12:07pm | IP Logged 
I'd like to change my challenge for this month if possible. Listening to audio through my headphones is not ideal
incase my son starts to cry! Although I am exhausted I have some time on my hands when my son is asleep, which
as of now is quite often, and so this month I want to make the push to 1500 characters. Right now i'm somewhere
just over the 1400 mark.

maurelio1234
Triglot
Groupie
BrazilRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5874 days ago

61 posts - 92 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, EnglishC2, French
Studies: German, Mandarin

Message 424 of 457
11 November 2013 at 12:10pm | IP Logged 
Hi,

My November challenge will be watching 2h of any video everyday :)
My December challenge will be chatting 1h every day ;)

You can follow me on my 6 weeks challenge ;)

This discussion contains 457 messages over 58 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version