Tetraglot
FranceRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4427 days ago

414 posts - 582 votes 
Speaks: French*, EnglishB2, EnglishC2, Spanish, Japanese
Studies: Korean, Norwegian, Mandarin

Message 377 of 457
15 July 2013 at 5:42pm | IP Logged 
I'm pretty sure Renate said the reading challenge would be a 2-month challenge.
1 person has voted this message useful

js6426
Diglot
Cambodia
Joined 4315 days ago

277 posts - 349 votes 
Speaks: English*, Khmer
Studies: Mandarin

Message 378 of 457
16 July 2013 at 5:10am | IP Logged 
yuhakko wrote:
I'm pretty sure Renate said the reading challenge would be a 2-month challenge.

She did indeed, but it was meant for June and July, and it's now mid way through July and we still don't know what
the reading challenge entails (apart from some sort of reading obviously)! It seems Renate has gone AWOL! Come
back Renate, we need our fearless team leader!

Haksaeng
Korea, South
Joined 5993 days ago

166 posts - 250 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Korean, Arabic (Levantine)

Message 379 of 457
16 July 2013 at 8:33pm | IP Logged 
I assume the reading challenge is just to read...I'm not the leader but without more specific instructions I would say just read anything and keep a tally of pages or hours read. I'm reading a book so it's easy to keep track of pages, but if you're skipping around, reading from different sources, it might be easier to keep track of time spent reading instead of pages.

Also, in case Renate is just too busy to continue as group leader, maybe we should be thinking of other challenges for the coming months.

2 persons have voted this message useful

yuhakko
Tetraglot
FranceRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4427 days ago

414 posts - 582 votes 
Speaks: French*, EnglishB2, EnglishC2, Spanish, Japanese
Studies: Korean, Norwegian, Mandarin

Message 380 of 457
17 July 2013 at 6:01pm | IP Logged 
I agree, the advantage of this specific challenge is that you can do whatever pleases
you. You can read books, comics, subtitles, textbooks' texts, articles, etc. This is the
kind of challenge you have achieved when you feel you have.

I also agree that in case Renate doesn't come back we should be ready to go on. If she
hasn't given any sign of life by the 25th or something like that, we should have any
challenge ready. Maybe she's just having a busy summer or internet problems and wil be
back later, but we need to be ready for anything!
3 persons have voted this message useful

Haksaeng
Korea, South
Joined 5993 days ago

166 posts - 250 votes 

Message 381 of 457
06 August 2013 at 6:05am | IP Logged 
Checking in to report that I completed the two-month Reading Challenge by reading my first adult-level Korean novel, Please Look After Mom (엄마를 부탁해). I read the novel using the English translation as a crutch. I posted more about this on my log.

Anyone else have anything to report for the June/July Challenge?

It seems a shame to let our group fall apart mid-year. Is anyone in the group able to take on the group leader role?

And what about a challenge for the month of August? What if each of us simply chooses his or her own personal challenge for August? And then, if we're lucky, someone will take over the helm and assign a new group challenge for September.

This is just a suggestion to try to keep things moving. Please feel free to disagree or amend my suggestion.
3 persons have voted this message useful

js6426
Diglot
Cambodia
Joined 4315 days ago

277 posts - 349 votes 
Speaks: English*, Khmer
Studies: Mandarin

Message 382 of 457
06 August 2013 at 10:31am | IP Logged 
I also completed the challenge. I read a lot of Khmer articles relating to the election in Cambodia, and I read what I
could of a few different children's books in Chinese, and also a comic type book. Unfortunately i am still not quite
ready to read novels, but I feel my reading definitely improved through this challenge!

Choosing our own challenge for August sounds cool. I am also happy for someone else to take over leadership of
the group if Renate is too busy.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Bakunin
Diglot
Switzerland
outerkhmer.blogspot.
Joined 4925 days ago

531 posts - 1126 votes 
Speaks: German*, Thai
Studies: Khmer

Message 383 of 457
06 August 2013 at 5:54pm | IP Logged 
I also completed the challenge. I read 8-9 books in Thai during June and July, including books for young readers and detective stories for adults, by both Thai and foreign authors. I try to fit in at least 15 minutes or so most days, but there are days or periods where I read much more, sometimes many hours. Over the past few months, reading has again become easier and more enjoyable. Apart from learning many new words, reading is also an important source of cultural information for me.

Haksaeng
Korea, South
Joined 5993 days ago

166 posts - 250 votes 

Message 384 of 457
06 August 2013 at 8:02pm | IP Logged 
Wow, 8 or 9 books, that's great! That's inspiration for me.

I always hear that extensive reading will be a huge help and will make it easier and easier to read native materials. I noticed that it got easier to read my book as time went on, but I wouldn't say the change was significant. Of course, it's only one book and I need to read more and keep reading to see the benefits. Sometimes progress seems very slow.

This discussion contains 457 messages over 58 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version