BrazilRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5874 days ago

61 posts - 92 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, EnglishC2, French
Studies: German, Mandarin

Message 409 of 457
16 October 2013 at 10:20am | IP Logged 
Hi,

I'm still here too :) but i'm not posting on my thread anymore, after some days I stopped
because I didn't see the point of doing that :).

2 persons have voted this message useful

druckfehler
Triglot
Germany
Joined 4662 days ago

1181 posts - 1912 votes 
Speaks: German*, EnglishC2, Korean
Studies: Persian

Message 410 of 457
16 October 2013 at 11:13am | IP Logged 
Hey maurelio, good to see you're still around! How's your studying going? Any breakthroughs? Are you up for the November challenge?
1 person has voted this message useful

Kami
Groupie
United States
Joined 4313 days ago

55 posts - 62 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: French, Korean

Message 411 of 457
18 October 2013 at 7:24am | IP Logged 
druckfehler wrote:

Kami, sounds exciting! I hope you get the scholarship and the opportunity to go to Korea.
For how long would you be there?

I am really excited for it! I would be there for six weeks over the summer so it could be
longer, but I'd still learn a lot about the culture and the language too.

Bakunin
Diglot
Switzerland
outerkhmer.blogspot.
Joined 4924 days ago

531 posts - 1126 votes 
Speaks: German*, Thai
Studies: Khmer

Message 412 of 457
18 October 2013 at 11:28am | IP Logged 
Hi fellow TAC-ies! I'm cross-posting this wrap-up of TAC 2013 from my log:

I've just hit the 1000 hour mark this morning! I've also achieved the other goals I set for Thai as well as Polish, so TAC 2013 is a success. I've been thinking of taking a break from HTLAL and journaling my language activities for some time now, and that's what I'll be doing. This post will wrap up TAC 2013 as far as I'm concerned. I enjoyed the challenge a lot, and it certainly helped to push me to a very regular study regimen… but life has a lot more to offer than structured language learning. I'm not going to give up on language learning, not at all, but I'll take a break from measuring time and progress and just pursue whatever language-related activity I fancy instead of sticking to a regimen.

Here's my wrap-up for Thai:
Listening:
Listening has been one of my main activities this past year, a total of 317 hours, 300 of which were spent on listening to the radio and podcasts, the rest on watching TV. It's hard for me to assess whether and how I've improved over the year.

Reading:
I've read a total of 369 hours during this year so far, 2/3 of which was spent on novels and 1/3 on intensive reading using FLTR. I've read something like 28 novels of various genres, mostly books for young readers but a few adult crime novels as well, and worked through another 14 school books; a total of 6500 pages. I'm much more comfortable reading any kind of text now than I was at the beginning of the year, and the unknown words per page ratio has been steadily going down. My reading speed has slightly improved but is still way below of what I achieve in languages using latin characters (English, French, even Polish).

Speaking:
Speaking totals 123 hours, split about half-half between phone calls including tutoring, and live conversations either here or in Thailand. My speaking performance is very random, sometimes I'm excited about how well I can hold a conversation, and at other times I'm exasperated about not being able to express the simplest thing. But I've come a long way since the beginning of the year.

Writing:
42 hours, 37 of which I spent on chatting and emails, and 5 on lang-8. My spelling has improved massively over the year, mainly due to focused spelling drills using Anki.

Other:
I've spent 149 hours on 'other activities', 121 of which were typing (copying) school books. That's one activity I really enjoy and certainly will continue to do. I have written regularly about how useful I find it to work with school books, so I don't have to repeat it now. It's certainly the most effective way for me to acquire vocabulary and cultural knowledge in a systematic fashion. The remaining time was spent on Anki and some Scriptorum-ing.

I had two side goals, one relating to the royal register and the other to basic Buddhist terminology. I've read many stories and a few news items involving royalty and think I know the most important terms by now. Since Buddhism is a school subject, I've had ample exposure to Buddhist terminology. I recognize many words, but recall, let alone spelling, is a bit harder. Overall, I'd say I passed those two goals as well.

Here's my wrap-up for Polish:
My goals were modest: 120 hours of listening and reading combined, and 3 books. I'm currently at 135 hours, split about half-half between those two activities. I've finished 7 novels with about 1250 pages. All goals passed. My listening comprehension has improved a lot, but I mainly consume news and discussions about current events. I suck at everything else, in particular tourist-related stuff. Reading has become easier as well and is usually good fun (if I can make the time…). I've bought heaps of books I'm keen to read, and I've got plans for a few more bicycle trips to Poland over the next years as well.

I wish my fellow TAC-ies all the best for the remainder of the challenge, and thanks to everybody who followed my log!
5 persons have voted this message useful

maurelio1234
Triglot
Groupie
BrazilRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5874 days ago

61 posts - 92 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, EnglishC2, French
Studies: German, Mandarin

Message 413 of 457
21 October 2013 at 1:10pm | IP Logged 
druckfehler wrote:
Hey maurelio, good to see you're still around! How's your studying
going? Any breakthroughs? Are you up for the November challenge?

Hi, I'm going from full time studying during the 6 week challenges to half-time studying
when challenges are not running. I think I improved a lot since the beginning of the
year, specially, in reading and consequently in watching Chinese movies with subtitles.

The good thing is that now I can Chinese dramas and tv shows just for fun, or read novels
because I think they are interesting (not because I need to get the vocabulary in them).
The bad thing is that now I see that I still need to improve a lot the get it to the
level I already have in other languages... :(
3 persons have voted this message useful

Crush
Tetraglot
ChinaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5659 days ago

1622 posts - 2299 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Mandarin, Esperanto
Studies: Basque

Message 414 of 457
22 October 2013 at 11:52pm | IP Logged 
I can't wait to be able to watch Chinese dramas or read books in Chinese! Sounds like you've made quite a bit of progress!

druckfehler
Triglot
Germany
Joined 4662 days ago

1181 posts - 1912 votes 
Speaks: German*, EnglishC2, Korean
Studies: Persian

Message 415 of 457
01 November 2013 at 12:30am | IP Logged 
NOVEMBER TEAM CHALLENGE pig

TAC 2013 is slowly approaching its end and we've decided to end the year with two more challenges. By now there's been a lot of studying and we probably all have a good idea of our strong and weak areas in our target languages. This month's challenge gives you the opportunity to finally tackle something you've been putting off or to cement your progress in an area that's going well. What you decide to do for this penultimate challenge will be completely up to you. You can set your own goal and post it on the team thread any time before the end of the month. When you're done or the month is over let us know how it went for you.

Crush
Tetraglot
ChinaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5659 days ago

1622 posts - 2299 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Mandarin, Esperanto
Studies: Basque

Message 416 of 457
01 November 2013 at 3:09am | IP Logged 
My November challenge will be to read (at least) a paragraph in Chinese every day. It's something i've wanted to do for a while now but have been putting off due to a lack of vocabulary. Depending on how it goes, it might change it to trying to read a short book in Chinese, but we'll leave it at a paragraph a day for now.

3 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 457 messages over 58 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version