Triglot
Germany
Joined 4662 days ago

1181 posts - 1912 votes 
Speaks: German*, EnglishC2, Korean
Studies: Persian

Message 89 of 457
31 December 2012 at 3:05pm | IP Logged 
I fixed it appropriately :) Looks rather different, from what I can see. Is there a lot of variation depending on the gender of the speaker in Thai? I remember having a hard time with that when I was studying Hebrew.
1 person has voted this message useful

Bakunin
Diglot
Switzerland
outerkhmer.blogspot.
Joined 4924 days ago

531 posts - 1126 votes 
Speaks: German*, Thai
Studies: Khmer

Message 90 of 457
31 December 2012 at 3:41pm | IP Logged 
druckfehler wrote:
I fixed it appropriately :) Looks rather different, from what I can see. Is there a lot of
variation depending on the gender of the speaker in Thai? I remember having a hard time with that when I was
studying Hebrew.

Ha ha, looks quite the same to me. Same same, but different. Gender specific variation is restricted mainly to
politeness particles and personal pronouns, but since those words are quite frequent, the gender is almost always
obvious. I remember watching one lengthy interview with someone who's biological gender I couldn't figure out;
this person really could have been a man or a woman, and he or she didn't use those politeness particles at all. Not
a single one (which is very unusual, to say the least, in particular in formal settings like an interview). I found it very
confusing, because gender is such an in-your-face thing in Thai usually. Anyway, I'm glad you've got the
appropriate version up, and thanks again for making us Thai learners so welcome here! :)

Warp3
United States
forum_posts.asp?TID=
Joined 5329 days ago

1419 posts - 1766 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, Korean, Japanese

Message 91 of 457
01 January 2013 at 1:11am | IP Logged 
Bakunin wrote:
I remember watching one lengthy interview with someone who's biological gender I couldn't figure out;
this person really could have been a man or a woman, and he or she didn't use those politeness particles at all. Not
a single one (which is very unusual, to say the least, in particular in formal settings like an interview). I found it very
confusing, because gender is such an in-your-face thing in Thai usually.

That's one of the things I've found interesting about Korean. Often a sentence in Korean contains far more information than the English translation since the choice of wording gives additional details about the speaker and/or the speaker's relationship with the listener. Some relationship terms in Korean, for example, can not only tell you the gender of the speaker, but also the gender of the person to whom they are speaking and the rough age difference between the two (all from a single word).

Leurre
Bilingual Pentaglot
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5219 days ago

219 posts - 372 votes 
Speaks: French*, English*, Korean, Haitian Creole, SpanishC2
Studies: Japanese

Message 92 of 457
01 January 2013 at 1:51am | IP Logged 
Hi all!

So as druckfehler mentioned on the last page, I'm the newest member of the team!

I'm studying Japanese and Korean this year, but I've studied Korean for a rather long
time (5 yearsish), and I think I can bring some further insight into those either just
getting started or those around a more intermediate level!

So I hope to be able to give some cool advice, correct some stuff all while getting
good book recommendations in Korean from people!

잘 부탁드리겠습니다!

I will be starting my language learning log for this TAC in the next day. There will be
two components to the log:

1. Me and Japanese: I'm a high beginner in Japanese and looking to make some
substantial progress this year. I'll be participating in group activities/challenges
with Japanese

2. Korean learning related: If you have any questions or observations about your Korean
learning or want to share a breakthrough, or if you want to share/ask anything related
to both language and culture, then feel free to do it in my log!

A short introduction to myself and both Korean and Japanese.
I started studying Korean in 2007 as a freshman in college. I've been studying pretty
much every day since, and I've tried lots of different methods. There is no horn
tooting here, but I'm rather okay at the language after all this time, and so that's
how I find myself as a 'godfather' studying alongside you guys! I don't really know why
I first started learning Korean, but that's not really all that important now. I got to
live in Korea for a total of two years over these past five, studying and working in
international development cooperation. I've traveled quite a bit in the country as
well, though of course I know the place I've stayed the longest time in (Seoul) the
best. There's something about Korean for me that borders on a drug. Only a cheap and
accessible drug that doesn't destroy your body or give you any lows, but constantly
leaves you yearning for a new high. So this year for Korean I'm pursuing that high,
with the plan of eventually returning to Korea and finding employment that is in line
with my career interests.

As for Japanese, I think it started as a comparative advantage thing: I'm sure those of
you who have learned Japanese and then go on to Korean know what I mean! My interest in
Japan comes less from the culture, of which I admit I am not so knowledgeable, and more
from the people. Studying in Korea I had the opportunity to meet lots of Japanese
people, and I made good friends with a few of them... how great would it be to talk to
them in Japanese! After a while I realize that I don't need much of a reason to do
anything with regards to language learning. I'm going with what pleases my senses, and
then after that opportunities will open themselves up!
I'd call myself a high beginner in Japanese: I've taken about 5 months of classes at a
학원 in 서울, and now I'm studying with the help of a tutor twice a week. I'm looking
to get to somewhere between the N3 and N2 levels by the end of the year. More specifics
on this to follow in my log!

So thanks all, nice to be here and to be able to help out if needed!

한 해 동안 좀 분발하고 서로의 노력에 힘입어 성공적인 공부를 할 수 있도록..
에이 몰라 ㅋ
즐겁게, 제대로 한 번 해보자!

iawia
Bilingual Pentaglot
Taiwan
Joined 4383 days ago

35 posts - 55 votes 
Speaks: EnglishC2, Mandarin*, Taiwanese*, Cantonese, Spanish
Studies: Thai, Japanese

Message 93 of 457
01 January 2013 at 6:33am | IP Logged 
Hello, I'm IAWIA, quite new to this forum, and I'm happy to join Team鶴 in my language
learning journey. Anyway, for those who want to know me more:

I'm a native Chinese Mandarin and Taiwanese speaker from Taiwan, where we use
traditional Chinese. During my years in junior and senior high, I was exposed to
Classical Chinese, or so called 文言文. However, unlike Latin or Ancient Greek,
classical Chinese spans over an era of some thousand years, and there are various kinds
of articles throughout the ages, so I can not say I am an expert of Classical Chinese.
I first learned Spanish as my second foreign language after English, and I'm learning
it to this day. I think I am at a B1-B2 level, (I'm a bit confused about my profile
saying that I "speak" it), and I'm in the process of enjoying native and authentic
material!

During my stages of wanderlust, I dabbled in Arabic, French, German and Indonesian.
However, these attempts failed, and I had some success in Cantonese and Thai.
I learned Cantonese based on a natural approach, watching Cantonese drama, movies and
listening to songs, and thanks to my background, I reached a basic fluent level.
I have learned Thai for a little more than an year, and I was fascinated with the
country and the language, so I continued studying until this day. Since Thai and
Chinese dialects share many similar characteristics, I enjoyed some benefits when I was
studying this language.
Last, I began my Japanese studies half an year ago. Again...Chinese IS GREATLY
BENEFICIAL! I knew most kanji without needing to learn them, so focusing on grammar is
my primary objective in Japanese now.

I LOVE learning languages, and I aspire to know many, many more languages.
Here is my learning log, if you're interested:
http://how-to-learn-any-language.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?T ID=34778&PN=2

Again, I'm happy to be on this team and to share with you the beauty and richness of
the Chinese language. I don't really deserve the status of Godfather, but I will try to
help the way a native speaker could.
THANKS! Good luck on your studies!

vermillon
Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4472 days ago

602 posts - 1042 votes 
Speaks: French*, EnglishC2, Mandarin
Studies: Japanese, German

Message 94 of 457
01 January 2013 at 10:08am | IP Logged 
iawia wrote:
so called 文言文. However, unlike Latin or Ancient Greek, classical Chinese spans over an era of some thousand years,

Ah! Sorry to contradict, but it's "like" rather than "unlike". Latin has been used for over two millenia throughout Europe in the same fashion as Classical Chinese has been.

But Happy new year nonetheless :)
3 persons have voted this message useful

iawia
Bilingual Pentaglot
Taiwan
Joined 4383 days ago

35 posts - 55 votes 
Speaks: EnglishC2, Mandarin*, Taiwanese*, Cantonese, Spanish
Studies: Thai, Japanese

Message 95 of 457
01 January 2013 at 10:48am | IP Logged 
vermillon wrote:
iawia wrote:
so called 文言文. However, unlike Latin or Ancient
Greek, classical Chinese spans over an era of some thousand years,

Ah! Sorry to contradict, but it's "like" rather than "unlike". Latin has been used for
over two millenia throughout Europe in the same fashion as Classical Chinese has been.

But Happy new year nonetheless :)

Well, what I meant was that Latin ceased to be used as a common tongue but continued to
be used by clergy, scholars and the well educated, more or less retaining the language
of the Roman empire. While at the same time, classical Chinese, or to be more precise
literary Chinese underwent many changes throughout the Han, Tang and Sung dynasties,
evolving with time.

And yes, the texts of Classical Chinese of the earlier dynasties were studied by
scholars, in fact they were obligatory subjects for those aspiring a government post.
In this sense, it is similar to Latin.

druckfehler
Triglot
Germany
Joined 4662 days ago

1181 posts - 1912 votes 
Speaks: German*, EnglishC2, Korean
Studies: Persian

Message 96 of 457
01 January 2013 at 12:59pm | IP Logged 
Beginning of the TAC 2013!

Happy New Year everyone! 새해 복 많이 받으세요 明けましておめでとう 新年快乐 สวัสดีปีใหม่

It's finally time to spread our wings and take off! (Excuse the cheesy metaphor. Now that we're officially cranes, nothing will stop me from overusing it :D)

First of all, welcome to our latest new team members and godfathers! Bakunin, maurelio1234, Crush, iawia, picnick and Leurre, I'm glad to see you join us.

From reading everyone's introduction and logs (where available) I think we have a really great Asian team this year and will probably have a lot of fun studying together.

All personal study logs I could find are linked. Make sure to read your team mates' logs regularly and comment - the TAC can be a long and lonely journey without the support and encouragement of the team.

I have finally gotten around to updating the "Rules and Organisation" section of the first post. I hope that I have gauged the general opinion correctly and you're all fine with what I've written. If not it's no biggie, we can still discuss the points.

Good luck to everyone! May we all have a successful year!

Edited by druckfehler on 01 January 2013 at 1:00pm

This discussion contains 457 messages over 58 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version