Triglot
Germany
Joined 4662 days ago

1181 posts - 1912 votes 
Speaks: German*, EnglishC2, Korean
Studies: Persian

Message 345 of 457
30 April 2013 at 2:56pm | IP Logged 
And again, I think you completed the challenge, Evita ;)

Quote:
It doesn't matter how much or little you say or write, as long as you've made an effort to put the language you're studying to use. Ideally, you'll do something that suits your level of proficiency and is a little challenging.

The challenge was to make the effort and try communicating in the target language and that's what you did. I think you did well, too. A year of Korean study isn't much, it takes time to get used to the structures and everything and active usage is always more challenging than passive understanding.
3 persons have voted this message useful

Bakunin
Diglot
Switzerland
outerkhmer.blogspot.
Joined 4924 days ago

531 posts - 1126 votes 
Speaks: German*, Thai
Studies: Khmer

Message 346 of 457
30 April 2013 at 6:20pm | IP Logged 
Haksaeng wrote:
But with the April Challenge in mind, what I did this month was download the app for KakaoTalk onto my phone. Everyone here in Korea uses this app for their messaging and I'm really not into messaging a lot. But one evening I was having dinner with my husband's former secretary and she convinced me I should use it. Even though I don't know a lot of Koreans to message with them, it's good to have this as an option for communication. So far this month, I've only used it with 2 Korean-speakers: one of my classmates and my husb's secretary. The secretary is fluent in English of course, and I wouldn't be comfortable speaking with her in Korean, but I do enjoy messaging her in Korean. I have a few other bilingual friends I might use it with in the future, too, so I think it's a good option and might give me opportunities in the future for more natural exchanges.

I also chat a lot with (a selected few) friends, and I think it's really useful practice. It often takes the place of making a phone call (which can be expensive or inconvenient) and therefore really serves as a means of communication. It helps with practicing spelling (in Thai an issue, probably less so in Korean). Since it's text based it allows a bit more time to reflect on what and how to write. It also helps to learn to be sufficiently precise because there are fewer non-verbal cues to resort to (there are emoticons and equivalent expressions, but that's much more restricted than having a real conversation). All in all it's a really cool addition to my toolbox, and I hope you'll get something out of it as well.

maurelio1234
Triglot
Groupie
BrazilRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5874 days ago

61 posts - 92 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, EnglishC2, French
Studies: German, Mandarin

Message 347 of 457
30 April 2013 at 7:48pm | IP Logged 
Hi,

Well, this month I puts little bit more of effort in communicating with people in
Chinese again. I installed WeChat and Line in my computer and tried to find people are
to chat again. I found some random people and had some conversations, but in fact, I
think it much more difficult to find people to chat in this place than it is in other
place such as Skype and sharedtalk. I tried also to talk more frequently in Chinese to
my girlfriend, even if I can't do more than some words or sentences...

That's my April's challenge ;-)

Now I'm waiting for the next six weeks challenge that starts tomorrow!
2 persons have voted this message useful

druckfehler
Triglot
Germany
Joined 4662 days ago

1181 posts - 1912 votes 

Message 348 of 457
30 April 2013 at 10:34pm | IP Logged 
maurelio1234 wrote:
Now I'm waiting for the next six weeks challenge that starts tomorrow!

Good that you're reminding us of the 6wc, maurelio! I've seen Hidden Linguist also signed up and is studying Cantonese for the challenge. Good luck to you both! Anyone else taking part?

I'll also be posting the team challenge tomorrow - this time I'm not going to be late ;)
1 person has voted this message useful

druckfehler
Triglot
Germany
Joined 4662 days ago

1181 posts - 1912 votes 

Message 349 of 457
01 May 2013 at 9:30am | IP Logged 
MAY TEAM CHALLENGE snake

Sometimes cramming is what really makes a noticeable difference when learning a language. For the May challenge you can choose whether you'd like to focus on grammar or vocabulary. If you choose grammar, the goal is to learn 10 new constructions and write 5 practice sentences for each. If you choose vocabulary, the goal is to learn at least 50 new words - maybe from a specific word field - and write sentences including all of them. Your sentences can be very simple (along the lines of "This is a …" or "The child walks") or more complex, depending on your level of proficiency. Ideally, you'll do something that suits your level of proficiency and is a little challenging. You have time to post your sentences until May 31.

As June is the month of the TADOKU (Read More or Die) Challenge, we're going to have a reading challenge.Thought I'd warn you early in case you want to get reading materials. I'll be posting a list of websites with Korean stories for different proficiency levels and it would be great if we can also collect such resources for the other languages.
6 persons have voted this message useful

Evita
Tetraglot
Latvia
learnlatvian.info
Joined 6346 days ago

734 posts - 1036 votes 
Speaks: Latvian*, English, German, Russian
Studies: Korean, Finnish

Message 350 of 457
01 May 2013 at 12:01pm | IP Logged 
Oh, this is my favorite challenge yet! I think I'm going to choose grammar. I will easily learn 50 new words anyway but many of them will probably be context-less so it would be hard to write sentences with them. It should be easier with grammar constructions.

Hidden Linguist
Groupie
United Kingdom
Joined 4153 days ago

64 posts - 87 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, Spanish, Mandarin, Sign Language, French

Message 351 of 457
01 May 2013 at 10:20pm | IP Logged 
Thanks for the heads up on the June challenge druckfehler. I think I’m definitely going to struggle with that one.

My reading skills are practically non-existent in Chinese outside of very basic sentences. I’ll need to have a look around to see if I can find any reading materials for my (very low) level of knowledge. I’d really appreciate it if someone could recommend something for Mandarin (I’m not holding out much hope for Cantonese). Who knows, if I use this month’s challenge to work on my vocab, I might actually be able to take a shot at next month’s.

druckfehler
Triglot
Germany
Joined 4662 days ago

1181 posts - 1912 votes 

Message 352 of 457
02 May 2013 at 2:43pm | IP Logged 
Hidden Linguist wrote:
My reading skills are practically non-existent in Chinese outside of very basic sentences. I’ll need to have a look around to see if I can find any reading materials for my (very low) level of knowledge. I’d really appreciate it if someone could recommend something for Mandarin (I’m not holding out much hope for Cantonese).

Children's books and Comics generally seem like a good choice for beginning to read native materials. You can have a look if you find something at the International Children's Library. They have a lot of books in various languages you can access for free. There might also be easy readers for Chinese It doesn't really matter what and how much you read and it definitely doesn't matter whether you understand everything. Even if there's a lot you don't understand it can be beneficial to just identify and reinforce words you already know. As long as you can follow the general trajectory of your text it shouldn't be too boring either.

This discussion contains 457 messages over 58 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version