Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

CZ’s TAC 15 CHN/JPN/KOR

Language Learning Forum : Language Learning Log Post Reply
844 messages over 106 pages: << Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 20 ... 105 106 Next >>
The Real CZ
United States
Joined 5438 days ago

1069 posts - 1495 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Japanese, Korean

Message 153 of 844
11 June 2010 at 5:50am | IP Logged 
Yeah, I had to spam on Tiara Diadem so I could download a raw of TVN's Taxi, since today's episode had T-ara in it. (Thank God I only needed 15 posts.) Soompi was down most of the day, so I had to resort to that.

If you ever get caught up in the K drama fever, 2010 has been a really great year.

--

Tomorrow is judgement day: to see if I'm allowed to quit my job or not. (I'm turning 20 next month, and my dad thinks that's too old to be working at a pizza job. I'll take it, since I wanted to quit ever since I started 3 years ago.)

Though, I'll have to focus more on Japanese for the rest of the summer, or at least bring it up to 50/50, so I can test out of Japanese for college, because when I transfer universities, I just wanna finish, so I'll probably overload on classes.

1 person has voted this message useful

The Real CZ
United States
Joined 5438 days ago

1069 posts - 1495 votes 

Message 154 of 844
12 June 2010 at 5:48pm | IP Logged 
I'm in the last 1/3 of "My Name is Kim Sam Soon," and because of my progress in understanding as I went through, I decided to do this with ten books in both languages, coupled with SRSing vocab while also SRSing grammar items from my grammar books. This is the sort of feeling I got from watching dramas lately. At first, I was lost, not hearing every word, but over the span of a month, my listening has improved and now my major hurdle is vocab and grammar instead of the actual sounds. (I'm not saying I could repeat something said, especially since I usually can't understand half a sentence.)

I mainly attribute this to stepping out of the kiddy pool (diving into native materials without translation, without subtitles, just using an online dictionary.) Yeah, I was drowning, but fighting it (the failure/drowning) and now I'm able to swim.

--

I...didn't do much aside from read yesterday. My dad hogged the computer 8:30-4, and I had work 5-9, so I got an hour on the computer. I did watch half of Invincible Youth 32.

--

I just wanna say I'm excited for Kara, SNSD, and 4minute promoting in Japan later this summer/fall. I know T-ara will eventually join them, since they are appearing in Japanese commercials and having concerts in Japan. But, I think that'll eventually lead to Hara and Hyomin leaving IY too. >.>

Edited by The Real CZ on 12 June 2010 at 5:50pm

darkwhispersdal
Wales
Joined 5829 days ago

294 posts - 363 votes 
Studies: Ancient Greek, French, Italian, Spanish, Russian, Mandarin, Japanese, Latin

Message 155 of 844
13 June 2010 at 9:40pm | IP Logged 
My Dad was the same so I bought my own computer in the end after saving for six months, its suprising how much you get done without someone nagging it's their turn

The Real CZ
United States
Joined 5438 days ago

1069 posts - 1495 votes 

Message 156 of 844
13 June 2010 at 10:15pm | IP Logged 
Well, I'm quitting my job in two weeks and I don't want to spend money when I'm unemployed. lol

It is my dad's computer since he bought it, so whenever he wants on, he gets to use it. I'm just lucky he works afternoons, so I still do get 10 hours to use it, but it's his days off that he hogs it all day.

The Real CZ
United States
Joined 5438 days ago

1069 posts - 1495 votes 

Message 157 of 844
15 June 2010 at 7:04pm | IP Logged 
This morning I got my Full Metal Panic light novels from Amazon JP. I wish they had free international shipping, even if it did take weeks. I got this in 3-4 days, but payed $60 for shipping...

Started reading, and wow, I'm gonna be married to Yahoo JP's dictionary for a while.

Warp3
United States
forum_posts.asp?TID=
Joined 5324 days ago

1419 posts - 1766 votes 
Studies: Spanish, Korean, Japanese

Message 158 of 844
16 June 2010 at 10:26pm | IP Logged 
The Real CZ wrote:
When I watch(ed) subs, they were mostly from Soshified {...} so I knew they were quality subtitles {...}

After watching a "SoshiSubbed" episode of Star Golden Bell (I finally got signed up on Soshified), I'd have to completely agree with this. Not only did the subtitles seem a bit more accurate than the KBS World versions, but:

- There were more of them. I think this confirms my suspicions that the KBS World subs don't translate everything (though, granted, this is probably done to keep the flow going, since it can be harder to keep up otherwise). (Actually, I noticed this with the subbed episodes of Kara Bakery from Karaholic, as well. Initially, I thought there was just more dialog than normal in KB, but experiencing something similar with SGB confirms this wasn't really show specific after all.)
- They actually translated the real words used in the word games, instead of making up their own English word games.
- They occasionally included culture and language notes (especially when something is "funny" but it's not obvious in the English translation why this is true). This one really surprised me. Most of the notes weren't anything new to me, but some were, and it was very welcome.

---

On an unrelated note, I was adding a few Hanja characters to my SRS yesterday and one that I opted to add was 愛 (애/사랑). Wow...most of the existing characters I've entered aren't even close to that many strokes (13). In fact, it takes fewer strokes to just write out 사랑 instead...hehe.

The Real CZ
United States
Joined 5438 days ago

1069 posts - 1495 votes 

Message 159 of 844
17 June 2010 at 12:20am | IP Logged 
Once you get further, there'll be some close to 20 strokes. Knowing hanja, there are more strokes (I'm learning Japanese and they've simplified some characters.) Do you find hanja study beneficial? I was wondering if I should even bother learning the readings for the hanja, because when I see them in an article, I;m always like "Yeah, I know what it means, but I don't know how to pronounce it..."

--

About subs: Soshified and WITHS2 are the only groups to sub every single line. I was watching God of Study, and Haru2Subs subbed that show, and it pissed me off that so many lines were missing. After that, I decided to stop with subs because so many subs (outside of Soshified and WITHS2) left so many lines unsubbed, and some didn't sound natural.

--

Can't wait until Friday. Can't wait to see the new cast of IY.

--

Nearing the end of "My Name is Kim Sam Soon." I still need to catch up on adding words from that book to the SRS (my list is over 500 words...), I think all that new vocab will help when I move onto the next book (Kim Yuna's 7 minute drama.)

In Full Metal Panic, only some of the kanji comes with hiragana, so it's even harder to read it.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Warp3
United States
forum_posts.asp?TID=
Joined 5324 days ago

1419 posts - 1766 votes 
Studies: Spanish, Korean, Japanese

Message 160 of 844
17 June 2010 at 9:47pm | IP Logged 
The Real CZ wrote:
I was wondering if I should even bother learning the readings for the hanja, because when I see them in an article, I;m always like "Yeah, I know what it means, but I don't know how to pronounce it..."

Some reasons I learn the readings for the Hanja characters are:

- Unlike Kanji, most Hanja only have one reading, so they are much less painful to learn than their Japanese equivalents. :)

- The readings are Sino-Korean words/roots anyway, so they are technically "meanings" as well, and it seems pointless to me not to link them to their original characters. In fact, I initially had the rule that I would only add Hanja for which I already recognized both the reading and meaning in Hangul. I've given in a bit on that rule a bit lately, though, so a few newer cards have English in parenthesis beside the Hangul answers, but for the ones where I already know the Korean words, the cards are English-free.

As an example, my card for the "cow" character has the following 4 fields (I have a custom 4-field card model in Anki for Hanja cards):
Hanja: 牛
Reading: 우
Meaning: 소
Stroke Order: {picture of stroke order}

- One of the fastest ways to generate Hanja on a computer is via the reading. For example, to easily type 牛 with the Windows Korean IME, you can just type 우 then hit the right-CTRL key and pick the correct Hanja from the list that appears (and 소 brings up a different list as this feature is based on readings only).

This discussion contains 844 messages over 106 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version