Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

CZ’s TAC 15 CHN/JPN/KOR

Language Learning Forum : Language Learning Log Post Reply
844 messages over 106 pages: << Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 47 ... 105 106 Next >>
Newty
United States
Joined 4839 days ago

19 posts - 22 votes
Studies: Mandarin, English*
Studies: Vietnamese

Message 369 of 844
27 January 2011 at 12:05am | IP Logged 
Edit - nm read through your log and it answered my question (% comprehension of K-
Dramas).

Edited by Newty on 27 January 2011 at 12:07am

1 person has voted this message useful

The Real CZ
United States
Joined 5437 days ago

1069 posts - 1495 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Japanese, Korean

Message 370 of 844
30 January 2011 at 12:47am | IP Logged 
I've been thinking about this for a while now, and I've decided: f**k the SRS. Done with it. Too much time spent on reviewing. I'll just write down words, look them up, write the definition down, and move on. The SRS...I feel as if I only know the words in the sentences I put in the SRS. I need to read more. And..it doesn't help at all with active vocabulary. All in all, the SRS is only good in the beginning when you have a hard time remembering words, but it's a huge time consumer.

Warp3
United States
forum_posts.asp?TID=
Joined 5323 days ago

1419 posts - 1766 votes 
Studies: Spanish, Korean, Japanese

Message 371 of 844
30 January 2011 at 6:48pm | IP Logged 
I've noticed similar issues with sentences in SRSes: I know the meaning of the sentence, but sometimes I never really learn the meaning of the words IN the sentence (i.e., often my brain reads the part it does know and then remembers which sentence it was without actually translating the unknown words). Then if I see the word elsewhere, I often don't even recognize it.

This is part of why I'm liking what the Gold List has forced me do as I don't have room for sentences in the lists, so I just put single words or (at most) two word phrases. I've actually stopped adding new entries to my Gold List now and am only doing distillations of them; however, what I've started doing instead (for new items) is adding words and/or very short phrases (just like I did with Gold List) to Anki. I don't pass them nearly as often due to lack of extra context to help me out, but I seem to be actually learning the words much better this way.

Regardless, people learn languages without flashcards or SRS systems all the time, so if it's just hindering you (which it sounds like it is from your post), then it's better to drop it and find something else that works for you (like massive reading input, as you already noted) than to keep it up and allow your motivation to keep dropping.

Alternatively, you could also take one of Khatzumoto's tips about aggressively pruning the decks to get rid of cards that simply waste your time and/or sap your motivation (too easy, too difficult, too boring, etc.). He has noted that previously he has dropped decks to a mere fraction of their former size this way and it re-energizes the deck so it's actually fun again, instead of simply an overbearing chore. To be honest, I have several cards that I dread everytime they appear. I need to just nuke them and go on with life. If I really need the info on that card, it will come up again later, hopefully in a more palatable form.

Xiaohua
Diglot
FranceRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5572 days ago

3 posts - 5 votes
Speaks: French*, English

Message 372 of 844
30 January 2011 at 6:50pm | IP Logged 
I have been using Anki for two years now and I now think of it as a fabulous passive vocabulary builder.
I have recently decided on going through Japanese Core 2k and 6k at a fast pace, and as I listened to some Japanese
show new words I've just learned has appeared to my ears.

I was thinking of the next step after finishing the Core 6k, and I thought of taking some articles on the web as a
basis for writing summaries and comments as when I was made to do this as homework in English. I found this
exercise to be quite rewarding since I had a XXX times bigger passive vocabulary and couldn't reach them in my
brain when I needed them however with these homework I had a subject and words related to it under my nose.

Posting the article source, the summary in 2 paragraphs or more (depending on the article's length) and 3 lines of
comments getting corrected on Lang-8. Since you seem to read quite a lot of articles on Korean music maybe you
should give it a try on it, what do you think ?

The Real CZ
United States
Joined 5437 days ago

1069 posts - 1495 votes 

Message 373 of 844
30 January 2011 at 10:07pm | IP Logged 
I have started doing that, but I've only done it with one article in Japanese. And since my active Japanese skills are bad...I probably only wrote five sentences. I am planning to do it more.

But, yeah, I just write down words as I read articles and look up the words, writing their definitions down. I fold a piece of paper into 4 sections, so I can get 66 words on each side of the page. And it takes a lot less time writing down 33 words than it is to get 33 sentences for the SRS.

But yeah, I don't think the SRS really helped in the long run, because it didn't really help me for kanji either. I end up forgetting a lot of those too unless I read and read. And today, I read around 25 pages in each language and an article. (I free read books, look up every unknown word when reading something off of the Internet due to the ease of looking words up.)

The Real CZ
United States
Joined 5437 days ago

1069 posts - 1495 votes 

Message 374 of 844
01 February 2011 at 9:37pm | IP Logged 
Life without the SRS rocks. Anyway, finished Full Metal Panic book 3 today. Started the fourth one. The vocab acquisition is going well. Doing 60 words a day while I mine articles, songs, and drama scripts.

And there's a lot of Korean entertainment news on Japanese sites these days. One of the new words I encountered was "美脚," which means beautiful legs in an article about Kim Tae Hee and the IRIS movie in Japan.

Warp3
United States
forum_posts.asp?TID=
Joined 5323 days ago

1419 posts - 1766 votes 
Studies: Spanish, Korean, Japanese

Message 375 of 844
01 February 2011 at 11:13pm | IP Logged 
I'm actually doing the opposite and ramping up my SRS usage instead. Yesterday, I finally decided to drop Gold List (too many days where I could only honestly eliminate 1-2 out of the 16 entries) and am currently working to transfer those entries into Anki. Fortunately, I can do this at a higher rate than normal since I: (a) don't need to look up the definitions and (b) already know many of the words somewhat well, which means they get marked as "good" or "easy" right away.

That said, I am still working toward reading more in Korean, regardless.

--

I recognize the 美 as 미 (beautiful), but I don't recall seeing the second character before. I do recognize the radicals in it, though.

The Real CZ
United States
Joined 5437 days ago

1069 posts - 1495 votes 

Message 376 of 844
01 February 2011 at 11:19pm | IP Logged 
A lot of characters in Japanese were simplified, so sometimes when I see hanja I just have a blank stare because the traditional character has a lot more strokes. >.> Oh well, I bought a hanzi book that has like 4,000 traditional and simplified characters, so that'll help me with hanja down the road.

This discussion contains 844 messages over 106 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version