Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

CZ’s TAC 15 CHN/JPN/KOR

Language Learning Forum : Language Learning Log Post Reply
844 messages over 106 pages: << Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 103 ... 105 106 Next >>
The Real CZ
United States
Joined 5434 days ago

1069 posts - 1495 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Japanese, Korean

Message 817 of 844
15 December 2014 at 9:10pm | IP Logged 
TAC 2014 was a disaster for me, mainly because I was so preoccupied with other things
going on in my life. There were periods throughout the year I was able to study well,
but for the most part, this was probably my worst year for studying since I started.

I signed up for the East Asian team for TAC 2015 in order to keep myself accountable.
My main two goals for 2015 are consistency (making studying into a daily routine) and
moving away from studying. I want to use the languages more, be it through input or
output instead of spending so much time reviewing words.

As you guys know, I have a job as a public accountant starting in the summer/fall of
2015, and most of my time will be spent studying for the CPA exam. I want to finish as
many of the exams as possible before I start working. We get a $5,000 bonus if we pass
all four parts of the exam within one year of our start date.

In order to make it much easier for me to use my languages every day, these will be my
plans:

1) Reading. I will do a mix of intensive , HAIR (half-assed intensive reading) and
extensive reading. Sometimes I'll look up all of the words in an article I'm reading,
sometimes just some of the words, and other times I'll just keep reading, just seeing
how much I can understand and see if my brain can pick anything up without explicitly
looking words up. When I read novels, it will be all extensive. I find intensively
reading novels really kills my desire to read.

2) Speaking. Probably do what I was doing earlier in the summer, as in reading out
sentences from textbooks and grammar books and thinking of sentences in my head. The
old adage of "practice is perfect" is true, and it applies to speaking, so I just need
to do it more so that it becomes more natural.

3) Writing. I'll try writing on twitter and my language learning blog regularly, but
there's no way I could do it daily. This will also apply to Chinese characters.
SRS/flashcards never really helped me that much with the characters. So writing them
out and reading them a lot will be my path to learning them. Of course, I'll learn
them with mnemonics and related roots instead of going for a frequency list.

4) Listening. This is the easiest one for me to do. I have some podcasts to listen to
and dramas to watch. This is what I am least worried about.

Over the next coming months, I will be working real hard on squeezing everything I
need to do into my schedule, so I'm hoping this focus on time management will be
helpful for my language studies.

I really have no goals in learning languages any longer due to finally finding a
career path. All I can say is that I know it's a lifelong journey in enjoying what I'm
doing and getting better every day. I have long since moved on from trying to be a
hyper polyglot like a lot of members here are. If these are the only three languages I
ever make good progress in, so be it.
4 persons have voted this message useful

kujichagulia
Japan
Joined 4632 days ago

1031 posts - 1571 votes 
Studies: Japanese, Portuguese

Message 818 of 844
16 December 2014 at 4:05am | IP Logged 
I'm interested in what podcasts you are going to do.
1 person has voted this message useful

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4951 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, Norwegian, French, English, Italian, Papiamento
Studies: Mandarin, Georgian, Russian

Message 819 of 844
16 December 2014 at 8:57pm | IP Logged 
I know the feeling, and once again thank you for managing to take a right path in your career. I'm in a situation in which language learning is a bless and a pastime. I don't have higher expectations in terms of pursuiting a career but financially I do have a consistent career, so I'm sort of stuck at a job that doesn't allow me to learn much but at least allows me to have a nice and healthy job/life approach. That's why languages come to play such an intense role. If I were faced with opportunities like yours, I wouldn't feel sorry for dropping most of my languages and I would embrace it with the same enthousiasm I do about my language learning.
2 persons have voted this message useful

The Real CZ
United States
Joined 5434 days ago

1069 posts - 1495 votes 

Message 820 of 844
17 December 2014 at 12:37am | IP Logged 
@kuji The podcasts are the same ones I've been listening to all year. The ones in
Japanese are about anime and video games, so I doubt you'd be interested in those.

@Expugnator Yeah, I had the translation route as a backup plan just because of the
troubles I had landing a job until recently. With the hours in public accounting and the
continuing education I have to do, there's no realistic way for me to have huge jumps in
levels in languages any longer. It'll purely become a hobby for me, so I'll stop trying
to learn certain kinds of words/language just because it may have been helpful for a
translating career and just focus on learning what I want to.

The Real CZ
United States
Joined 5434 days ago

1069 posts - 1495 votes 

Message 821 of 844
19 December 2014 at 1:56pm | IP Logged 
I started reading online articles again, and thankfully after a few months of relative
inactivity, my language skills didn't deteriorate as much as I thought they would. I
read two articles in each language. For Korean, I understood the majority of the
article and only had to look up up 10 words in one article (it was probably around 10
paragraphs) and 1 word in the second article (which was 2 paragraphs). Granted they
were in the entertainment section, I find that to be good.

For Japanese and Mandarin, my goal for now is to simply read articles while looking up
the more common words in the articles instead of every single word. This is to prevent
fatigue and frustration. I figure with a lot of reading plus work with characters and
grammar books in which I'll pick up a lot of words, reading will becoming easier down
the stretch.

One of my major goals for the upcoming TAC is to turn my procrastination time on the
Internet into reading time in my target languages. I have a lot of work to do from
now, but there's always a part of me that just wants to surf the web and realizing two
hours later that I wasted two hours. I'd rather waste those two hours reading in my
target languages so that I feel less guilty lol.

The Real CZ
United States
Joined 5434 days ago

1069 posts - 1495 votes 

Message 822 of 844
23 December 2014 at 4:01pm | IP Logged 
I'm trying to think up of good ways to improve speaking and writing abilities alone.
Naturally speaking comes easiest by speaking with others, but the only way I could do
that is Skype, but the time zone differences between the US and Korea, Japan, China
and Taiwan make it nearly impossible to set up times on my schedule. I get up early to
study and then go to school/internship location, which will change to studying early
in the morning and going to work. My early morning time period would be the best time
for Asians (with the 12-14 hour difference factored in), but doesn't work at all for
me.

Some of these are taken from others, and I'm trying to add some more ideas. If anyone
who frequents my log has any ideas, go ahead and post them! I'm really trying hard to
improve my output abilities this upcoming year.

1. Read Aloud Sentences From Textbooks and Grammar Reference Books. I think
this is always a good start, as you're using correct model sentences. I think this
helps a bit with becoming more automatic with the language. This also gets you to
start moving those mouth muscles instead of staying silent all of the time.

2. Mimic Others. There are many names for this (shadowing, chorusing, etc.),
but this seems to really help with rhythm. I used to do this a few years ago with
Korean and will probably try it again. Matching the rhythm of native speakers is a
really helpful tool to try to get your own rhythm down. I used to do one sentence or
so at a time from a drama/movie. This works better if you have an actual script in
front of you, but that's not always practical.

3. Speeches. I think preparing a speech by writing it out and practicing it
orally several times (or more!) will be helpful. I think this will help a) push one to
extend their current language abilities by being able to string several sentences
together to make a point and b) make one more confident in speaking the language. I
haven't tried this, but this will be one of my main projects for 2015. I probably
won't record them or speak in front of any kind of audience, but the process of doing
this should really help me get used to speaking in general.

4. Drills. I think drills can be helpful. Either pre-made drills in textbooks
such as FSI or drills that you make yourself to work on certain grammatical points. I
think it's best to drill to a point you're comfortable with the grammar point you're
trying to drill instead of mastery. Let everything sink in and maybe a few months
later if you're still having some trouble with that grammar point, drill it again.
These can be done both speaking and writing. I would say writing would be better for
trying to really nail it down while speaking would be better for trying to use it
spontaneously without much thought.

5. Dialogues/Conversations. Not with others, but one can come up with
situations in which two or more people would be talking to each other. I tried this a
little bit with Cantonese during the summer. I think when doing this with newly
learned material, it's better to write down these little conversations first and then
practice them out loud several times later.

6. Article Summaries/Arguments. I think this is more of a writing activity. I
used to do this quite a bit whenever I tried focusing on output. Take an article that
you read, summarize it (you can use the words in the article as it would be
unreasonable for a learner to summarize articles in their own words) and then give
your opinion on it. I find this helps me consolidate the words I had just learned and
gives me something to write about. It's hard thinking of a topic to write about out of
the blue.

7. Think in your target languages as much as possible. This is where you can
get the most practice with using your languages, allowing you to think "How would I
say this?" and then try to think of ways to say it. This will also get you used to
thinking in the language so that it will become much more easier to talk.

Of course one needs to read and listen a lot, along with actually talking with others,
but this list is basically "What can I do to improve my speaking/writing skills when
I'm by myself?" Conversations should flow naturally unless you're working with a
tutor/teacher who is correcting your mistakes as you go.

Woodsei
Bilingual Diglot
Winner TAC 2012
United States
justpaste.it/Woodsei
Joined 4582 days ago

614 posts - 782 votes 
Speaks: English*, Arabic (Egyptian)*
Studies: Russian, Japanese, Hungarian

Message 823 of 844
31 December 2014 at 10:51pm | IP Logged 
I finally managed to finish reading your log :) I know it's late but, congrats on the
job offer!
It was really insightful how you grew into your language learning ways after trying
out and experimenting with many things. I too share your sentiments about Anki, with
the only exception being that I haven't gone in it as far as you have done (thousands
of sentences and such). I just find reading and listening a lot, and looking up words
as I go, works. Just being hyper-aware as I read/listen, and having a genuine
curiosity about the words/structure is enough to anchor it in my mind, plus of course,
lots of exposure to allow for natural repetition. I spent a very long time feeling
guilty about not using Anki, because almost everyone was advocating its use, and as a
result wasted time forcing myself to accept it, thinking about how to approach it
painlessly, rather than actually just doing something. But I'm glad I finally made
peace with that and moved on. Do what works for you.

Anyway, I enjoyed very much reading your log, and I look forward to seeing how you
progress this year. A job does suck out a whole lot of time, just ask me, but I'll
second druckfehler's recommendation on reading. Even if it's just a little. I'd also
add, listening is easier to do (driving to work, lunch, etc) so that will give you
more chances to hear words/structures being repeatedly used in context. If you burn
out on Anki again, that is.

Ok, now onto Warp3's log, lol :)

Edited by Woodsei on 31 December 2014 at 10:53pm

The Real CZ
United States
Joined 5434 days ago

1069 posts - 1495 votes 

Message 824 of 844
01 January 2015 at 3:20am | IP Logged 
I can't believe someone would even read 103 pages of someone's log lol.

I have tried many things, and almost everything does work if you continue to use it. For
example, I am using Anki to help me with intensive reading this year. Using MCDs for
intensive reading helps me a lot as I can focus on just one word per card as if I was
just looking up the definition of the word while reading. Anki will allow me to get the
repetition that I wouldn't get while doing intensive reading. However, instead of testing
myself with Anki, I push "Good" right away to see the definition of the clozed-out word
and move on.

This discussion contains 844 messages over 106 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version