Diglot
Netherlands
Joined 5146 days ago

864 posts - 1274 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, EnglishC2
Studies: French

Message 105 of 509
24 April 2010 at 2:55pm | IP Logged 
I'll be honest with you: I had never heard of this term before except maybe in the literal meaning of dunes covered in grass. I asked my father and he had heard of it though, so it might be a bit more old fashioned. He mentioned a couple of meanings and I looked it up in a Dutch encyclopaedia as well:

1. Going out into nature. The word generally has a bit of a laid-back association, so in this sense it kind of means "strolling in a nature setting (so not necessarily the dunes).
2. Having a casual look in or around something, usually something like a library or an archive but also in other situations. I don't know if you're familiar with the word "rondsnuffelen" but that literally means "to sniff around" and it means about the same thing. I looked up the definition of to browse and that seems to cover it quite well. My father also added that it can mean you were looking for something you were pretty sure you weren't going to find. So when you "grasduin" in an archive it means you already know that you're probably not going to find something so it's kind of a half-hearted search.The encyclopaedia also specified that it means to browse for something you like (as opposed to what you need I guess) so that adds another nuance of casualness.
3. To really devote or dedicate oneself to the study of something. This meaning seems a little strange to me considering the other meanings all suggest casualness but the encyclopaedia states this as one of it's meanings so I guess it is.
4. To hang out. My father mentioned this but I can't find it in the encyclopaedia. He says it's kind of an old word for what we would nowadays call "rondhangen". So if I was hanging out with friends I would never call that grasduinen (that would definitely raise a couple of eyebrows) but a couple of old people playing cards or bingo together might call it that. (both their own hanging out as well as mine)

As for your question about the internet browser, I think we just call those browsers. Dutch has taken most words for computer-related things straight from English so we say computer, downloaden, internet provider, browser etc. I don't think many people would understand what you were talking about if you called firefox a grasduiner.

Edited by ReneeMona on 13 May 2010 at 9:29pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

Vinbelgium
Bilingual Tetraglot
Groupie
Belgium
Joined 5635 days ago

61 posts - 73 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, Flemish*, English, French
Studies: Spanish, Russian

Message 106 of 509
24 April 2010 at 3:31pm | IP Logged 
I did hear that word before, but it's not commonly used.
1 person has voted this message useful

tommus
CanadaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5677 days ago

979 posts - 1688 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Dutch, French, Esperanto, German, Spanish

Message 107 of 509
24 April 2010 at 7:59pm | IP Logged 
ReneeMona wrote:
As for your question about the internet browser, I think we just call those browers. Dutch has taken most words for computer-related things straight from English so we say computer, downloaden, internet provider, browser etc. I don't think many people would understand what you were talking about if you called firefox a grasduiner.

Thanks for your detailed answer. Very interesting.

For the last part; it looks like there are some people using it to refer to browsers and for 'search engine' like Google or Yahoo. Here are a couple of examples:

http://www.turing-online.nl/turing/pagina.asp?pagkey=13611

http://www.scholieren.com/werkstukken/96

Fasulye
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2012
Germany
fasulyespolyglotblog
Joined 5658 days ago

5460 posts - 6006 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: German*, DutchC1, EnglishB2, French, Italian, Spanish, Esperanto
Studies: Latin, Danish, Norwegian, Turkish
Personal Language Map

Message 108 of 509
24 April 2010 at 8:15pm | IP Logged 
My Dutch friend uses the word "grasduinen" to research something or to look something up. He uses it, when a bit more effort is needed.

Examples:

1. "Dat weet ik niet. Als je een antwoord van mij wilt krijgen, dan moet ik eerst maar een rondje gaan grasduinen."

2. "Dat kan ik zo niet zeggen. Laat mij eerst maar eens een rondje gaan grasduinen."

I myself haven't used the word "grasduinen" so far.

Fasulye

Edited by Fasulye on 24 April 2010 at 9:54pm

ReneeMona
Diglot
Netherlands
Joined 5146 days ago

864 posts - 1274 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, EnglishC2
Studies: French

Message 109 of 509
24 April 2010 at 9:26pm | IP Logged 
The way your friend says "een rondje grasduinen" actually fits with some of the definitions I found for the verb. The "rondje" suggest that he's going to orientate himself quite broadly, have a good look around I mean. One of the sites (sorry I can't remember which one) mentioned that grasuinen also means that you don't know anything/much about the topic you're researching. I think your friend's use of the word fits the third definition I mentioned best. I guess the word is just very ambiguous and it depends on the context what the speaker means by it.

Tommus, those links are very interesting. I have a "but..."for both though.
The first link mentions that a web-browser is "literally" a grasduiner. Basically they offer it as a translation for the word but that doesn't mean the word grasduiner is ever actually used to mean browser.

The second text was written over a decade ago in 1999 when Internet was still a new phenomenon. Dutch might not have adapted that many words for Internet-related things yet at that time so people might still have been using different names, both Dutch and English ones, for these kind of things. Also I think Yahoo is a search machine (correct me if I'm wrong) which is something else than a browser. A search machine in a zoekmachine in Dutch.

Edited by ReneeMona on 06 May 2010 at 2:48pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

tommus
Joined 5677 days ago

979 posts - 1688 votes 

Message 110 of 509
24 April 2010 at 9:56pm | IP Logged 
ReneeMona wrote:
Tommus, those links are very interesting. I have a "but..."for both though.

Yes. You are right on both.

It would be interesting to know the etymology. Unfortunately, grasduinen is a word associated with looking for etymology. For example, if you Google etymologie grasduinen, you get 479 hits, but most use grasduinen for 'searching around" to find the etymology of other words, such as "Op deze site kan je grasduinen in woordenboeken, ...". But there is no shortage of the use of this word.

tommus
Joined 5677 days ago

979 posts - 1688 votes 

Message 111 of 509
24 April 2010 at 10:03pm | IP Logged 
I should have looked in Van Dale earlier. Here is another page that references Van Dale:

http://www.vliz.be/vmdcdata/faq/question.php?qid=138

Here is what it says:

"    * Vraag: Waar komt het werkwoord 'grasduinen' vandaan?

* Antwoord: Volgens de 'Grote Van Dale ' betekent grasduinen "naar hartelust toetasten, te werk gaan, zich geheel verdiepen in iets". In Vlaanderen echter is de meer gangbare betekenis "ergens voor zijn plezier in rondneuzen".

Het werkwoord onstond bij een verkeerd begrip van het zelfstandig naamwoord 'grasduin'. In de kuststreken van ons taalgebied waren met gras begroeide duinen zeer gewaardeerde weideplaatsen, vooral voor schapen. Het meervoud 'grasduinen' kreeg de figuurlijke betekenis "plaats waar het aangenaam toeven is". De betekenis is terug te vinden in een aantal zegswijzen die intussen in onbruik geraakt zijn zoals 'in grasduinen grazen' (volop genieten), 'in grasduinen gaan' (zijn hart ophalen). Waarschijnlijk leidde deze laatste uitdrukking tot de verkeerde opvatting van het meervoud als werkwoord. 'In grasduinen gaan' werd opgevat als 'in iets gaan grasduinen'.

Ethymologische verklaring van de term door prof. Magda Devos, vakgroep Taalkunde van de Universiteit Gent."

JanKG
Tetraglot
Belgium
Joined 5578 days ago

245 posts - 280 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, German, French
Studies: Italian, Finnish

Message 112 of 509
25 April 2010 at 9:18pm | IP Logged 
I might add that 'grasduinen' is not used for browsing the internet specifically, but I think the main connotations are
- pleasant
- exploration
- fruitful , or looking for fruit
- figurative sense
Serendipity-like, I'd say...

By the way it is (was) a great Dutch magazine about nature. But a great word indeed !

This discussion contains 509 messages over 64 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version