Netherlands
Joined 5146 days ago

864 posts - 1274 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, EnglishC2
Studies: French

Message 289 of 509
09 February 2011 at 6:14am | IP Logged 
JanKG wrote:
Thanks, Renee, I knew that one and I like it a lot, but it does not give synonyms - and it only refers to 'spreekwoorden'/ proverbs, which - I think - have lost a lot of their popularity. Don't you think? 'Zegswijzen' are way more common, is my impresion.

Mostly proverbs, yes, but some very good idioms as well. For instance, the keyword "geld" gives you "zemmen in het geld", "grof geld voor iets betalen", "zuur verdiend geld", "eieren voor z'n geld kiezen", "bulken van het geld", "weggegooid geld", "geld over de balk gooien", etc. All of these are pretty commonly used.
1 person has voted this message useful

tommus
CanadaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5677 days ago

979 posts - 1688 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Dutch, French, Esperanto, German, Spanish

Message 290 of 509
09 February 2011 at 2:53pm | IP Logged 
ReneeMona wrote:
For Dutch sayings and idioms you might find a spreekwoordenboek useful.

Here is another example of why I find Dutch things and Dutch-speaking people so interesting, and thus, why I find it so enjoyable to put in many many hours reading and learning Dutch. I was browsing through this 'spreekwoord' web site and I came across "een huishouden van Jan Steen". I find the paintings of the Dutch masters to be absolutely fabulous. But I had not heard this expression referring to the disorder often depicted in Jan Steen's works. Like Rembrandt, Steen was born in Leiden, my favorite Dutch city. Now I can enjoy his paintings even more. Back to browsing more 'spreekwoorden'. Thanks again for the link Renee.

tommus
Joined 5677 days ago

979 posts - 1688 votes 

Message 291 of 509
09 February 2011 at 4:38pm | IP Logged 
FAQ-NL: Symbol and punctuation names?

It is easy to find lists of symbol names in various languages. However, often several formal and informal names are listed and it is difficult to know which are in common usage. Here are a few with commonly-used English names and my guess as to what the common Dutch name is. I'd appreciate comments.

/   slash or forward slash [schuine streep, slash]
\   backslash [backslash]
-   dash or minus sign [koppelteken, streepje, minus teken]
_   underscore [gedachtestreepje, laag streepje]
&   ampersand [en-teken]
@   at [apestaart, at]
^   circumflex [dakje, circumflex]
*   asterisk [asterisk]
$   dollar sign [dollar-teken]
€   euro sign [euro-teken]
~   tilde [tilde]
#   number sign or hash [getalteken, hekje]
() opening and closing brackets [aanhalingsteken, haakje openen, haakje sluiten]
[] square brackets [vierkante haakje, haakje openen, haakje sluiten]
+   plus sign [plus teken]
%   percent sign [procent teken]
!   exclamation mark [uitroepteken]
?   question mark [vraagteken]
.   period or (for numbers) decimal mark or point [punt]
,   comma [komma]
;   semicolon [puntkomma]
:   colon [dubbelepunt]
    space [spatie]
'   single quote sign [aanhalingsteken]
`   apostrophe [apostrof]
"   quote sign or double quote [dubbele aanhalingsteken]
<> less than and greater than signs [kleiner dan teken, groter dan teken]
=   equals sign [gelijk teken]

ReneeMona
Diglot
Netherlands
Joined 5146 days ago

864 posts - 1274 votes 

Message 292 of 509
09 February 2011 at 5:05pm | IP Logged 
\   backslash [backslash] I’m not sure if there’s a separate word for it. Omgekeerde slash, maybe? :-)
-   dash or minus sign [koppelteken, streepje, minus teken] Never heard of koppelteken. I might also say something like min-teken or minnetje. Sometimes hoogstreepje to distinguish it from the laagstreepje.
_   underscore [gedachtestreepje, laag streepje] Never heard of gedachtenstreepje.
@   at [apestaart, at] Or apestaartje, though most people just say at these days.
^   circumflex [dakje, circumflex] Definitely dakje.
~   tilde [tilde] I think I would call that a golfje, if only because I had no idea what it was called in English or Dutch until now. ;-)
#   number sign or hash [getalteken, hekje] I always hear and use hekje.
() opening and closing brackets [haakje openen, haakje sluiten] Aanhalingsteken is only used for the quote signs.
[] square brackets [vierkante haakje, haakje openen, haakje sluiten] I don’t think we distinguish between the two kinds of brackets.
"   quote sign or double quote [dubbele aanhalingsteken] Normally just called aanhalingstekens, especially since these are more commonly used for quoting.
=   equals sign [gelijk teken] I would say is-teken.

2 persons have voted this message useful

JanKG
Tetraglot
Belgium
Joined 5578 days ago

245 posts - 280 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, German, French
Studies: Italian, Finnish

Message 293 of 509
09 February 2011 at 11:19pm | IP Logged 
I'd like to add some things to Renee's:

- dash or minus sign [koppelteken, (now more common and offical) liggend streepje used when leaving out a repeated word in a compound, min-teken or minnetje.
-- gedachtestreep, always in 'a couple' because you throw your idea/ gedachte in the middle of another sentence ;in fact like a long dash (can be produced by leaving some space before and behind a word in WORD
_   underscore [NOT gedachtestreepje, PERHAPS laag streepje], no translation really
^   circumflex [dakje, circumflex] Definitely dakje, in FL accent circonflexe ;-).
() opening and closing brackets [haakje openen, haakje sluiten]
[] square brackets [vierkante haakje, haakje openen, haakje sluiten]
""   quote sign or double quote [dubbele aanhalingsteken] Often just called aanhalingstekens, but there are 'single' aanhalingstekens as well . We can distinguish between the two and say: open de aanhalingstekens/ sluit ... ; or say : "Ik citeer", and then: "einde citaat")

=   equals sign [gelijkheidsteken] [/QUOTE]

Edited by JanKG on 09 February 2011 at 11:22pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

tommus
Joined 5677 days ago

979 posts - 1688 votes 

Message 294 of 509
15 February 2011 at 3:31am | IP Logged 
FAQ-NL: Ik leerde Robert in 1993 kennen.

I'm only guessing that this means "I came to know Robert in 1993." or "I first got to know Robert in 1993."

What does it mean exactly? I see it used in "Sinds ik je leerde kennen, " and "Welk nieuw volk leerde Columbus kennen?" and many other times. Is there another way to say the same thing?

ReneeMona
Diglot
Netherlands
Joined 5146 days ago

864 posts - 1274 votes 

Message 295 of 509
15 February 2011 at 6:58am | IP Logged 
tommus wrote:
I'm only guessing that this means "I came to know Robert in 1993." or "I first got to know Robert in 1993."

I don't know the context of this sentence but I'm guessing your translations are correct.
Leren kennen usually means "to meet" or "to become acquainted with" but it has a wider meaning than ontmoeten because it can also mean "to learn" or "to get to know".

JanKG
Tetraglot
Belgium
Joined 5578 days ago

245 posts - 280 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, German, French
Studies: Italian, Finnish

Message 296 of 509
15 February 2011 at 8:54am | IP Logged 
There is another issue here that I find very interesting, from a semantic point of view. I think your translations are indeed OK, Tommus, but one is different from the other, isn't it? "Came to know" might mean the same as "to meet", I guess, or can't it?

I also wondered about "Welk volk leerde Columbus daar kennen?". it is not impossible, but in my view "leren kennen" does not quite fit in with the Conquista ('fit in' might for example be the best word here, so here we go...). "Leren kennen" implies getting to know that person/... better, I'd say, though, OK, it might also be fairly superficial.Yet, it is not quite the same as "ontmoeten".

I wonder how Renee thinks about that, and how you, Tommus, feel about those differences in English. What matters most to me is the precise definition, or the subtle difference, which may however be fairly personal ('idiosyncratic' ?)...

This discussion contains 509 messages over 64 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version