Diglot
Netherlands
Joined 4616 days ago

120 posts - 134 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English
Studies: German, French

Message 441 of 509
03 October 2011 at 9:33am | IP Logged 
I'm still not sure whether you're allowed to give ''URL'S'' or not, therefore I'll do it this way. I hope this is allowed, if not, please notify me, I hope it won't get me banned or anything, then again, I might be overreacting.

Use google: type in: ''Vlaamse radio online''.
The second, which should start with ''Surf...'' might contain some interesting radio programs. If they're helpfull, please tell me, so I can remember them for myself, if I ever need some ''Flemish''.

Greetings
1 person has voted this message useful

montmorency
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4639 days ago

2371 posts - 3676 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Danish, Welsh

Message 442 of 509
04 October 2011 at 1:13am | IP Logged 
Remster wrote:
I'm still not sure whether you're allowed to give ''URL'S'' or not,
therefore I'll do it this way. I hope this is allowed, if not, please notify me, I hope
it won't get me banned or anything, then again, I might be overreacting.

Use google: type in: ''Vlaamse radio online''.
The second, which should start with ''Surf...'' might contain some interesting radio
programs. If they're helpfull, please tell me, so I can remember them for myself, if I
ever need some ''Flemish''.

Greetings

Thanks for the thought, but pretty much the same sort of results I was getting as
before, mostly music of one kind or another, with occasional prattle from DJ's or
announcers. Even supposed "news" channels, seemed to be mostly music-based.
I am forced to the conclusion that what I was looking for simply does not exist on the
internet in Belgian-Dutch. The only purely speech channel I could find was "Humor
Zender", which sounded like great fun, but not much help for a learner. You'd have to
be pretty advanced to get anything out of it.   What I wanted was something primarily
speech-based, e.g. news, documentaries, features. e.g. Deutsche Welle, BBC World
Service, BBC Radio 4, but in Belgian Dutch. But it does not seem to exist, not on the
internet anyway.

Last time I looked I had more luck with the TV stations. I'll concentrate on them next
time I go looking I think.

Remster
Diglot
Netherlands
Joined 4616 days ago

120 posts - 134 votes 

Message 443 of 509
04 October 2011 at 1:36pm | IP Logged 
I'm sorry it wasn't of any help. I have one more thing, it's one of Flanders national channels called ''één''. It has some short video's so maybe you could guess their subjects etcetera.

http://www.een.be/mediatheek
http://video.canvas.be/

You are absolutely right, I searched high and low and I couldn't find anything.
These two are the only ones I found and they're not even full video's.
They're fragments, but maybe you can use them to learn what the fragments are about.

2 persons have voted this message useful

montmorency
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4639 days ago

2371 posts - 3676 votes 

Message 444 of 509
04 October 2011 at 2:49pm | IP Logged 
Remster wrote:
I'm sorry it wasn't of any help. I have one more thing, it's one of Flanders national channels called ''één''. It has some short video's so maybe you could guess their subjects etcetera.

http://www.een.be/mediatheek
http://video.canvas.be/

You are absolutely right, I searched high and low and I couldn't find anything.
These two are the only ones I found and they're not even full video's.
They're fragments, but maybe you can use them to learn what the fragments are about.

Thanks very much. Yes, some good video clips. Certainly enough continuous speech to get an idea of the sound of the accent, and some even had subtitles. And with pictures you get an idea of what the mouth should be doing to make those sounds.

The "Interview in Tussentaal" on Canvas was fun. Picked up a bit of the meaning, but you didn't really need to to enjoy it :-)

Remster
Diglot
Netherlands
Joined 4616 days ago

120 posts - 134 votes 

Message 445 of 509
04 October 2011 at 4:31pm | IP Logged 
I'm glad it was useful! :)
Best of luck, with Flemish. If you need any help, I'll try my best, but I'm from the Netherlands, so I don't think I can help with the subtle differences. :P

montmorency
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4639 days ago

2371 posts - 3676 votes 

Message 446 of 509
05 October 2011 at 12:11am | IP Logged 
Remster wrote:
I'm glad it was useful! :)
Best of luck, with Flemish. If you need any help, I'll try my best, but I'm from the
Netherlands, so I don't think I can help with the subtle differences. :P

Many thanks Remster.

I had meant to add that, when I return to Dutch with some seriousness (which is not at
the moment), I think I would do the pragmatic thing, as people have suggested, and go
initially where there is the most material available, i.e. Netherlands Dutch, try to
learn to read the language properly, and understand as much speech as possible (I don't
think I'd be doing too much speaking of it any time soon). Then later try and get
familiar with Belgian Dutch through things like these clips and anything else I can
find, and again, just try to understand it. I don't think there is much point in a
foreigner trying to learn to speak "Flemish" (which variant would you try to learn?),
unless you were planning to spend a long time in a specific region and immerse.
Presumably if one had learned to speak fairly reasonable Netherlands Dutch, and then
spent time in Dutch-speaking Belgium, one could gradually learn to adapt one's
pronunciation to a more Belgian-like way of speaking, in order to be understood a bit
more easily.

A family member of mine lived in the NL for a period, which provided a bit of an excuse
to dredge up my vestigial Dutch knowledge (assisted by my more recent German
knowledge), as well as plenty of opportunities to hear it on the streets and on the
television. They have moved back to the UK now, so that opportunity has gone, but of
course, Holland and Belgium aren't exactly a million miles away :-)

Edited by montmorency on 05 October 2011 at 12:17am

Remster
Diglot
Netherlands
Joined 4616 days ago

120 posts - 134 votes 

Message 447 of 509
05 October 2011 at 9:34am | IP Logged 
Well, we're basically right around the corner. :P
Though I've only been to the U.K. twice.
Dutch and ''Flemish'' are basically mutually intelligible.
There are always regions with a heavy accent, but the standard Flemish you hear on the news and video's I've showed, can be understood by a Dutch person without any difficulty and without any subtitles. Now it would be a different case if someone speaking in
''plat-Gronings'' would converse with someone from a town bordering Wallonia.
But I assume you're going for the more standard type of (Flemish) Dutch. :P

I can understand why you would want to learn Spanish first, since it's more widely spoken.

tommus
CanadaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5677 days ago

979 posts - 1688 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Dutch, French, Esperanto, German, Spanish

Message 448 of 509
18 March 2012 at 1:43am | IP Logged 
FAQ-NL: Dutch subtle meaning of "zou"?

Hij zou ook aanwezig zijn. Hij brengt echter een bezoek aan een vriend.

This translates literally to: "He would also be present. However, he visited a friend". Or: "He would have also been present. Nevertheless, he visited a friend".

Could it really mean: He would have also been present. But he was visiting a friend"?

I have seen a number of these kind of "zou" sentences where it really seems to be vague whether or not the situation really happened. It usually seems to me that it can mean: "Normally, he would have been present". Or "We don't know the facts, but given his normal pattern of behaviour, he would have been present (and probably was)". Or it could mean: "We don't know the facts, but given his normal pattern of behaviour, he would have been present (but was not).

So can it mean both: "He would have" and "He would have but was not"? Maybe it needs more context to know for sure. But in a number of cases, including this one, the extra context seems to me to be a bit ambiguous.

Comments?

This discussion contains 509 messages over 64 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version