Diglot
Groupie
Netherlands
Joined 5422 days ago

73 posts - 108 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English

Message 457 of 509
19 October 2012 at 5:36pm | IP Logged 
Onze Taal is more lenient than you Tarvos.
Een aantal collega's gingen
According to them it depends on whether you view 'een aantal' as an indefinite number
or a close group.

This allows you to make a subtle distinction between: "Er is hier een aantal mensen dat
met u wil spreken" and "Er zijn hier een aantal mensen die met u willen spreken". In
the first sentence a group wants to speak with someone and in the second sentence the
people who want to speak with someone want to speak with him or her as an individual.

1 person has voted this message useful

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4518 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 458 of 509
19 October 2012 at 6:00pm | IP Logged 
Yeah that's the same problem as in English (or in any other language formulating the
phrase similarly) but I always use "is" in English too.

nimchimpsky
Diglot
Groupie
Netherlands
Joined 5422 days ago

73 posts - 108 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English

Message 459 of 509
19 October 2012 at 8:35pm | IP Logged 
Do you feel the distinction I mentioned? 'Een aantal mensen gaat met vakantie' and 'Een aantal mensen gaan met vakantie'. In the first sentence they went together and in the second there're just individuals going on holiday? I wonder if that is indeed an accurate description of Dutch usage.

Your solution based on your reference is of course wrong because the whole phrase is the subject 'een aantal leerlingen'. Although I agree that the singular form is probably more formal. However, for speaking it doesn't really matter. People won't look down upon you like they look down upon people who say 'hun hebben'. I certainly don't have negative attitudes towards people who use 'zijn' instead of 'is'.

Edited by nimchimpsky on 19 October 2012 at 8:36pm

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4518 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 460 of 509
19 October 2012 at 10:56pm | IP Logged 
I don't really feel the difference, sorry. The two sentence mean the same to me (if I
wanted to emphasise together I would add the word "samen" somewhere). But yeah, orally,
both is fine.

Hun hebben is pretty much an abomination.

tommus
CanadaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5677 days ago

979 posts - 1688 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Dutch, French, Esperanto, German, Spanish

Message 461 of 509
20 October 2012 at 12:13am | IP Logged 
nimchimpsky wrote:
This allows you to make a subtle distinction between: "Er is hier een aantal mensen dat met u wil spreken" and "Er zijn hier een aantal mensen die met u willen spreken".

That is very subtle and very interesting. Thanks very much.

Bbcatcher 08
Diglot
United States
Joined 4229 days ago

130 posts - 154 votes 
Speaks: English*, Latin
Studies: Russian, Mandarin, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Serbo-Croatian, Hungarian

Message 462 of 509
24 October 2012 at 11:22pm | IP Logged 
Is there a starting point that y'all would suggest for me to start at? I am currently
studying from a few books, but it seems that I am getting lost because the books are at
different points of which they start.

tommus
Joined 5677 days ago

979 posts - 1688 votes 

Message 463 of 509
04 November 2012 at 5:36pm | IP Logged 
Bbcatcher 08 wrote:
Is there a starting point that y'all would suggest for me to start at?

That is an interesting and I believe all too common a question. I don't think there is one obvious starting point. But probably the standard Dutch courses in Assimil, Pimsleur and Michael Thomas could easily be a starting point. I suggest Rosetta Stone is not a good starting point or even a good course at all.

For books, there are a number that are good starters. There are two colloquial Dutch books by Bruce Donaldson that are great. Routledge books and courses are excellent. Perhaps a good starting place would be Dutch for Dummies which I find to be very useful.

One thing I would suggest: For each book or course you get, work through it completely over a relatively short period of time. Then move on to another one and do it completely. I have a lot of such books and courses that I have tried to work on simultaneously, or in bits and pieces. And then you lose track. They become less interesting as you progress beyond the basic levels. So try to do each completely and quickly. I think that gives you the best value and the best learning.

2 persons have voted this message useful

tommus
Joined 5677 days ago

979 posts - 1688 votes 

Message 464 of 509
04 November 2012 at 5:48pm | IP Logged 
FAQ-NL: Difference between "een honderdtal dingen" and "een honderd dingen"?

I suspect that "honderdtal" means "about a hundred" whereas "honderd" means a more accurate hundred.

Are they interchangeable unless you want to mean "exactly one hundred"?

For "exactly one hundred", is "één honderd dingen" better?

This discussion contains 509 messages over 64 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version